Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #766 of 14,572

Tuesday afternoon I packed up the modded HE-6, modded HE-560, Audio gd Master 7, AMR DP-777, and F1J and eagerly drove an hour and a half to the Trump Soho hotel to hear the HE1000. A Head-Fi buddy of mine (thegunner100) met me outside, and as we entered the room the faces of Fang and two other Head-fiers with him seemed to say, what is all this you have here? After setting up we began listening. 

I gotta say, I was very disappointed with the HE1000 for two reasons. First, Fang seems to be leaning towards pricing these at around $3000 with a pimped out limited edition run priced at around $5000. Second, I couldn't leave with one that very night. I would have loved the opportunity to take one home with me where I could explore their capabilities for a few weeks.

Impression: I have no problem with their look or size. They didn't seem as big as they looked in the photos I've seen and to be honest once I started listening I didn't care about their appearance (Fang mentioned that there was an error in the production, and the metal was supposed to be Satin rather than glossy). They are quite light and very comfortable. On my F1J amp I was surprised that the HE1000 barely played any louder than my HE-6, however it played much louder on the EF1000 than the HE-6 at the same volume setting. The thing that stood out to me the most was the bass. It was noticeably fuller and had more impact than the HE-6. It did have a more HD800 like out of your head sound. On top it seemed a bit more extended and resolving. I really can't comment on the mids as I feel I would need more time to decipher the difference.  Recently I told a buddy I wish they made a headphone with the resolving power of the HD800, the great organic mids of the HE-6 and the full bodied deep and impactful bass of the Abyss. Somehow it seems Fang was listening in on our conversation because the HE1000 appears to fit the bill perfectly. The HE-6 came the closest to my ideal headphone (which is why I have three and made it my soul headphone) but the HE1000 has me convinced they're about to be replaced. As for the EF1000, I would need more time to compare it to my F1J but it does seem like its more than capable of driving these two headphones to marvelous heights. 

Thanks Craig, that's just what I wanted to hear.  Coming from you makes the impressions more meaningful.  Did you use both DACs?

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #767 of 14,572
Comparing this thread to the EL-8 one is interesting.  I've seen nothing but praise from the people who have first-hand experience with the HE-1000 (including myself).  The EL-8, on the other hand, has gotten a mixed reception from the folks who have actually heard them (including myself).  I didn't particularly like them and Tyll seems to agree with me.  Both cans are super over-hyped right now, but if you look beyond the hype, you can see that there seems to be more of a concensus with these than with the EL-8.

So hype aside, I think there's definitely something going on with these.  I know people find it hard to believe that these can be as good as people are saying, but IMHO they are.  I'm really excited to find out the pricing because I *really* want one.

not sceptical of the positive impressions that are coming through. like i said i'm excited about this can too. it's just the noise that bugs me and there's so much of it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #768 of 14,572
Thanks for being reasonable. Hee hee, however I cannot help but point out your use of the term "Baseless Speculation " Isn't any speculation by definition is baseless? It is an oxymoron.

nope. not all speculation is baseless.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #769 of 14,572

Thanks Craig, that's just what I wanted to hear.  Coming from you makes the impressions more meaningful.  Did you use both DACs?

I used both DAC as well as Fangs 901 players DAC section. No surprise here, the AMR DP-777 was the more Organic and 3D sounding (no one wanted to go back to the M7 after hearing it). The surprise for me was the 901s DAC, a few of the guys actually placed it between the DP-777 and the Master 7. The M7 really needs the OR5 to bring out its best, unfortunately I didn't have one at the time.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #770 of 14,572

Tuesday afternoon I packed up the modded HE-6, modded HE-560, Audio gd Master 7, AMR DP-777, and F1J and eagerly drove an hour and a half to the Trump Soho hotel to hear the HE1000. A Head-Fi buddy of mine (thegunner100) met me outside, and as we entered the room the faces of Fang and two other Head-fiers with him seemed to say, what is all this you have here? After setting up we began listening. 

I gotta say, I was very disappointed with the HE1000 for two reasons. First, Fang seems to be leaning towards pricing these at around $3000 with a pimped out limited edition run priced at around $5000. Second, I couldn't leave with one that very night. I would have loved the opportunity to take one home with me where I could explore their capabilities for a few weeks.

Impression: I have no problem with their look or size. They didn't seem as big as they looked in the photos I've seen and to be honest once I started listening I didn't care about their appearance (Fang mentioned that there was an error in the production, and the metal was supposed to be Satin rather than glossy). They are quite light and very comfortable. On my F1J amp I was surprised that the HE1000 barely played any louder than my HE-6, however it played much louder on the EF1000 than the HE-6 at the same volume setting. The thing that stood out to me the most was the bass. It was noticeably fuller and had more impact than the HE-6. It did have a more HD800 like out of your head sound. On top it seemed a bit more extended and resolving. I really can't comment on the mids as I feel I would need more time to decipher the difference.  Recently I told a buddy I wish they made a headphone with the resolving power of the HD800, the great organic mids of the HE-6 and the full bodied deep and impactful bass of the Abyss. Somehow it seems Fang was listening in on our conversation because the HE1000 appears to fit the bill perfectly. The HE-6 came the closest to my ideal headphone (which is why I have three and made it my soul headphone) but the HE1000 has me convinced they're about to be replaced. As for the EF1000, I would need more time to compare it to my F1J but it does seem like its more than capable of driving these two headphones to marvelous heights. 

Would you sell the HE-6 for the HEK? That's probably where I'm at now.

BTW, tell us more about the price. How did you discern Fang's leanings? :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #772 of 14,572
  Would you sell the HE-6 for the HEK? That's probably where I'm at now.

BTW, tell us more about the price. How did you discern Fang's leanings? :)

I already sold one of my three and may sell another to help with funding the HE1000. I didn't have to discern, he plainly said that was the direction he was thinking of going.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #773 of 14,572
I already sold one of my three and may sell another to help with funding the HE1000. I didn't have to discern, he plainly said that was the direction he was thinking of going.

Would you sell the remaining two, if it came to that? I realise the spirit of the question is different... I'm wondering if you could only have one, which it'd be :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #774 of 14,572
If you own two he6 and at one point three, I don't think you would blink at the price of an he1k. (Suuuuuper hype I know) Now if you were asking selling the remaining 2 he6 for the he1k and ef1k then that makes sense.

Would you sell the remaining two, if it came to that? I realise the spirit of the question is different... I'm wondering if you could only have one, which it'd be :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #775 of 14,572

I didn't have to discern, he plainly said that was the direction he was thinking of going.

That's pretty disappointing, and a pretty radical departure from their previous pricing strategy for cans.

I guess they're looking at the AK240s and Abysses of the world and thinking about how much money they're leaving on the table.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #776 of 14,572
Well, Fang is (rightly) riding for Fang, not for our financial benefit.  In the end the market reaction will determine the success.   I'm sure he has (or will be) doing some survey to determine optimum pricing.  But assuming it will be priced at around 3-5kUSD it would have to be a serious heavy hitter for me to even consider getting one, especially give what a proven design like a modded HE-6 can do. I'd need to read a whole lot of convincing reviews done by people who own a modded 6 but over an extended period of time in the comfort of their own place with their fav. gear before I'd even consider shelling out that kind of cash.  Have to add that, like Cradon apparently, I've also on occasion mused about how an HD-800/HE-6 hybrid would approach perfection.  I don't need more  low bass slam, it's not that important with my music.  But getting the soundstage of the Senn with the properties of the HE-6 in one package is alluring.  Although I can't help wondering if I'm not describing a high end electrostat here like the Stax SR007 Mk1 or the SR009 with my wishlist.  And the next thought:  if you've decided to enter this rarefied market segment where people are prepared to pay say 3 k for the HE-1000, another 2-3 minimum for an amp that does them justice...then why not just go all in, hop on a plane to Japan, fetch an electrostatic setup for about 8-9 k total,  hope customs decide not to check you out and be done with it?

We'll see.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #777 of 14,572
  That's pretty disappointing, and a pretty radical departure from their previous pricing strategy for cans.

I guess they're looking at the AK240s and Abysses of the world and thinking about how much money they're leaving on the table.

I  know what you mean. I tried to downplay it and suggested $1800 as how much I would be willing to pay for them. He feels his company needs a statement product and is confident these new products are worthy of such status. However there is still hope, he also mentioned possible trickling down the technology to something more affordable (roughly HE-6 HD800 price range) at a later date. Honestly none of those things were what I wanted to hear. I wanted them at $1499 available there and then.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #778 of 14,572
3k???

Unsubscribed.

Why would I pay 3k, let alone 5k, for a mere headphone that will make me look like a Chinese Kung fu princess or Queen Amidala?

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #780 of 14,572

Same.  The idea of a $5k version, just so it can have a cheesy little LE # on it somewhere, makes me chuckle.

For $5k I'm going shopping for speakers.

Speakers are something else entirely....even with 30k you can easily end up with a subpar setup.  Not to mention that they don't pair too well with early dawn listening habits, city centre living, litigious neighbours and a wife who doesn't share one's taste in music.  None of the problems mentioned can be cheaply remedied :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back