Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 25, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #7,291 of 14,653
hi all! just joined this lovey family of HEK :) am at the 36th hour of burning in. using it with my ygg/rag.

is it supposed to hit THAT hard ? im getting abit uncomfortable with the hardness of the sound. i had demo-ed this at least 3-4 times with different sets and didnt really register that effect.

is this suppose to go away with burn in ?

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #7,292 of 14,653
  Wow just got my HE-1000 and it outranks every other headphone I currently own (LCD-3, LCD-X, HD800, Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI, DT 990)

I just got a pair and plugged into my MACBOOK, and I could not believe my ears. Yes, no amp, just into the macbook. They are rather efficent, I must say.

I agree that wow is the word here. I couldn't even get myself to take a break to eat something as I was getting dizzy from the hunger.

These are simply remarkable.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #7,293 of 14,653
The HE1000 are actually pretty hard to drive, I've gotta go significantly higher on the volume knob of my Studio Six than I do with my LCD-3's. I highly doubt a MacBook is able to power them to an enjoyable level. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #7,294 of 14,653
I can drive them acceptably from a balanced Pono, but they sound better out of the MicroZOTL2 and Liquid Carbon.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #7,295 of 14,653
  The HE1000 are actually pretty hard to drive, I've gotta go significantly higher on the volume knob of my Studio Six than I do with my LCD-3's. I highly doubt a MacBook is able to power them to an enjoyable level. 

Idk maybe I'm getting 65% of the potential out of them, but still the sound is still incredible and bests what I've yet heard.

I do have the volume bar most of the way up (70+).

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #7,296 of 14,653
hi all! just joined this lovey family of HEK
smily_headphones1.gif
am at the 36th hour of burning in. using it with my ygg/rag.

is it supposed to hit THAT hard ? im getting abit uncomfortable with the hardness of the sound. i had demo-ed this at least 3-4 times with different sets and didnt really register that effect.

is this supposed to go away with burn in ?

Mine sounded a bit hard or rough at the beginning and became smoother and smoother up till the ~250-hour mark. Part of the roughness is attributed to the cable, though. In my case a Silver Dragon improved resolution and smoothness to a significant degree.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #7,297 of 14,653
Mine are definitely a lot smoother than when they started out. They are sounding much much better now. I was a little worried out of the box. I still have a lot more burn in to go. The HEK manual says 150 hours. 
hi all! just joined this lovey family of HEK
smily_headphones1.gif
am at the 36th hour of burning in. using it with my ygg/rag.

is this suppose to go away with burn in ?

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #7,300 of 14,653

please dont scare me !

Oh no don't be scared.

I am just telling him about the burn placebo effect. He feels that there is a difference!
All what is happening that his brain and ears are adjusting over the time to the new sound signature. 

Do you think that manufacturers don't burn the drivers before selling them to customers? NO WAY, with magnetic drivers that tend to fail a lot compared to the dynamic ones. Magnetic drivers manufacturers recently started a quality procedure by burning the drivers for 50hrs before selling them the to the customers. 

It is just like the cars' engines myth, people used to think that they have to train their new engines for 10000km! It took them 50 years to learn that this is just placebo
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #7,301 of 14,653

Oh no don't be scared.

I am just telling him about the burn placebo effect. He feels that there is a difference!
All what is happening that his brain and ears are adjusting over the time to the new sound signature. 

Do you think that manufacturers don't burn the drivers before selling them to customers? NO WAY, with magnetic drivers that tend to fail a lot compared to the dynamic ones. Magnetic drivers manufacturers recently started a quality procedure by burning the drivers for 50hrs before selling them the to the customers. 

It is just like the cars' engines myth, people used to think that they have to train their new engines for 10000km! It took them 50 years to learn that this is just placebo
tongue_smile.gif

which also means that i may need to return if i dont get used to the sound, no ? :p 

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #7,302 of 14,653

please dont scare me !

Oh no don't be scared.

tongue_smile.gif

You make it sound like a fact, but in fact it's just an assumption from your part.

The manufacturer himself confirms a break-in effect. The headphones may pass some test runs, but certainly nowhere near the recommended 150 hours or the ~250 hours of perceived improvement from my own pair. Note that I have other heaphones as well to which I listened during that time, so the chance of falling for a placebo effect / brain burn-in by adapting to a certain sound is minimized.

From a technical point of view, nothing speaks against break-in effects with headphone and speaker membranes. Look at the Inner Fidelity measurements for a fresh and a broken-in Stax SR-009 (especially harmonic distortion!)! Or this break-in test with speakers posted a few years ago.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #7,303 of 14,653

Oh no don't be scared.

tongue_smile.gif

Dude, this topic has been beaten to death. We get it - you don't believe in burn in. You've probably argued it a thousand times over the interwebz. However, you know that there are people who do believe in the phenomenon, and that you have never been able to convince them otherwise. You probably still go around the interwebz trying to preach your doctrine, and as a result, derail threads and ultimately everyone's enjoyment of their hobby. Please stop trolling on here and move along.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #7,304 of 14,653
blink.gif
Quote:
  Hard hitting is one thing all the 
Dude, this topic has been beaten to death. We get it - you don't believe in burn in. You've probably argued it a thousand times over the interwebz. However, you know that there are people who do believe in the phenomenon, and that you have never been able to convince them otherwise. You probably still go around the interwebz trying to preach your doctrine, and as a result, derail threads and ultimately everyone's enjoyment of their hobby. Please stop trolling on here and move along.

Doesn't believe in burn in/Buys $300 USB cable (based on signature) 

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #7,305 of 14,653
Please let's be fair and tolerant! Everyone is entitled to their opinion – with a corresponding response if a statement is over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back