Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #7,231 of 14,653

Amazing amps won't fix those issues with the HEK, trust me. I've tried everything I could before I gave up on it.

What issues are there with the HE1000? It's literally the best headphone I've ever heard and I have yet to find a single fault with it and I've owned mine since Beta.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #7,232 of 14,653
  What issues are there with the HE1000? It's literally the best headphone I've ever heard and I have yet to find a single fault with it and I've owned mine since Beta.

Wall of bass effect (overbearing and not coherent), soft sounding, not engaging midrange, and lack of energy. Basically sounds like you're sitting outside in the lobby of the auditorium instead of inside.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #7,233 of 14,653
Wall of bass effect (overbearing and not coherent), soft sounding, not engaging midrange, and lack of energy. Basically sounds like you're sitting outside in the lobby of the auditorium instead of inside.

I don't experience any if those effects. I have HEK, HD800S, and Ether C. The HEK is the most musical of the 3. HD800S is much better than HD800, and I can see details oriented listeners preferring the Senn over the Hifiman. But for me, listening to mostly female folks/country music, the HEK is the most engaging. I'm waiting for my Norne Draug v2 which should help with the slight treble hardness, will report back later. Would sell the HD800S, but I'm keeping it for now to test it with my future Glenn 300B amp.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #7,234 of 14,653

I'm confused here, so you're saying there is too much bass and yet it's "soft sounding" and has a "lack of energy"? Assuming your not just trolling I don't understand what exactly your getting at here because your statement basically conflicts itself.

Also, how in the world is the bass not coherent, it's literally the most stunning bass presentation I've EVER heard, you can literally hear just about every note. Are we listening to the same headphone?

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #7,235 of 14,653
^ I guess he prefers his wall of treble with the HE-6s? I keed...I keed (or do I?
tongue.gif
)

The HE1000s are in my top 2 or 3 headphones of all time alongside the venerable SR-009s. The HE-6s (used to own) were not my cup of tea by any means, but I didn't hate them...but I didn't really love them either.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #7,236 of 14,653
  I'm confused here, so you're saying there is too much bass and yet it's "soft sounding" and has a "lack of energy"? Assuming your not just trolling I don't understand what exactly your getting at here because your statement basically conflicts itself.

Also, how in the world is the bass not coherent, it's literally the most stunning bass presentation I've EVER heard, you can literally hear just about every note. Are we listening to the same headphone?

Listen to an HE-6 side by side and you'll understand. The bass of the HEK is not well balanced as in there's a lot of quantity yet doesn't seem to have the same speed and kick. In stock form, the HEK was one of the most boring headphones I've heard in a long time.

^ I guess he prefers his wall of treble with the HE-6s? I keed...I keed (or do I?
tongue.gif
)

The HE1000s are in my top 2 or 3 headphones of all time alongside the venerable SR-009s. The HE-6s (used to own) were not my cup of tea by any means, but I didn't hate them...but I didn't really love them either.

Anytime I mention the HE-6, I mean modded. It's a bit smoother than stock but it's kept most of its signature. I don't like a soft sound but hardly overbearing on the treble.

You've never had a capable amp to hear the HE-6 in it's true form.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #7,237 of 14,653

Listen to an HE-6 side by side and you'll understand. The bass of the HEK is not well balanced as in there's a lot of quantity yet doesn't seem to have the same speed and kick. In stock form, the HEK was one of the most boring headphones I've heard in a long time.

Anytime I mention the HE-6, I mean modded. It's a bit smoother than stock but it's kept most of its signature. I don't like a soft sound but hardly overbearing on the treble.

You've never had a capable amp to hear the HE-6 in it's true form.

How do you know that? I've heard them on Krell, Pass Labs and McIntosh speaker amps...and while they were a bit better, they were hardly transformed! Still too much up top and not enough down low....as well, they didn't centre image as well as other $1000 headphones. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #7,238 of 14,653
I continue to feel many people who give these over the top critiques have never even heard the products they speak of. To my ears the HEK is the best headphone I have ever heard. That said I do not expect everyone to agree but when somebody speaks of them as if they are second rate product I know they aren't serious and ignore them

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #7,239 of 14,653
How do you know that? I've heard them on Krell, Pass Labs and McIntosh speaker amps...and while they were a bit better, they were hardly transformed! Still too much up top and not enough down low....as well, they didn't centre image as well as other $1000 headphones. 

I think HE6s tend to differ depending on what mods are used. My pair has great mods that tame the treble so much that the treble is smoother than the HE1000.

That said, I prefer the HE1000 for daily use simply because it is more comfortable to wear. We all have our preferences. And it's less of a b*tch to drive.

Of course the T2 and SR009 spanks the pants off both headphones for the types of music I listen to. More realistic, detailed and smooth presentation.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #7,240 of 14,653
I continue to feel many people who give these over the top critiques have never even heard the products they speak of. To my ears the HEK is the best headphone I have ever heard. That said I do not expect everyone to agree but when somebody speaks of them as if they are second rate product I know they aren't serious and ignore them
Might be the case for others, but certainly not Ohhgourami. He owned the HE1000 for some time, tried them stock, modded and EQed, still doesn't like them. He knows his crap but preferences do play a part in how we hear things, so don't feel surprised if he disagrees with what you hear.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #7,241 of 14,653
mmm...it just proves that we all hear differently. I love the HE1K and it is in the top 4 (hd800s, t1.2, ether o) as far as my ears are concerned. Sorry, no electrostatic headphones yet in my small collection. Live and let live.....

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #7,242 of 14,653
I understand when people have different preferances, HD800 certainly wasn't my cup of tea although everyone loves it. The thing I was confused about was the description the bass was uncoherent, does anyone else hear that? I find the bass to be more coherent than any other headphone I've tried and I certainly don't think they are soft or lacking attack either. The descriptive words being used don't at all describe the headphone I hear.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #7,243 of 14,653
I understand when people have different preferances, HD800 certainly wasn't my cup of tea although everyone loves it. The thing I was confused about was the description the bass was uncoherent, does anyone else hear that? I find the bass to be more coherent than any other headphone I've tried and I certainly don't think they are soft or lacking attack either. The descriptive words being used don't at all describe the headphone I hear.

Have you heard an HE-6? It punches like nothing else. It's sharp, hard, and fast. HEK has more bass that's rounded and soft although seemingly deeper.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #7,245 of 14,653
Sorry folks, but I have to agree with ohhgourami as well.
Tried the HEK for several weeks, with alot of amps and sources, and didn't care enough about it's sonically to keep it.
I also prefer my modded HE-6 to the HEK in alot of areas.
Soundstaging, imaging, and bass extension is somewhat better on HEK, but my HE-6 is still punchier, faster, and clearer, imho.
Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back