Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 20, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #7,246 of 14,626
I think this just shows that the he6 and he1000 are very very different. I know which of them I prefer, but this is not a "this is an upgrade of the other" type of situation.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #7,247 of 14,626
I'm about to hopefully receive my HE1000 in less than an hour. Will post impressions in this thread after sitting down with them awhile.

Here's my question, though: I modded my 400i, but I just removed the cloth on the grill. How difficult/dangerous are these HE600 mods everyone keeps referencing? As someone else stated, having to seriously modify a headphone for it to sound "better" than something else doesn't really put it on the same playing field as another can that just works out of the box. Not to mention the ergonomics of the HE600.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #7,248 of 14,626
Let's also not forget sample variation.
Every pair sounds a bit different.
Tension the diaphragm a bit more and you get a bit tighter bass and treble extension. Tension it less and the opposite is true.
One does not simply tensions the diaphragm the exact same every time :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #7,249 of 14,626
That means the production consistency is really, really poor plain and simple.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #7,250 of 14,626
I think this just shows that the he6 and he1000 are very very different. I know which of them I prefer, but this is not a "this is an upgrade of the other" type of situation.

Agreed. Different sonic signatures between the HE-6 and the HE-1000. So which you prefer will depend on what you expect or want from your can. And we will also choose accordingly. :)

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #7,251 of 14,626
Let's also not forget sample variation.
Every pair sounds a bit different.
Tension the diaphragm a bit more and you get a bit tighter bass and treble extension. Tension it less and the opposite is true.
One does not simply tensions the diaphragm the exact same every time :)

This is my experience of listening to four HE1000s. One of them sounded very lacklustre compared to the others. Not saying that people who don't like the HE1000 are just listening to a bad sample, but it could play a part in some cases. Having spent a good amount of time with HE6s in various summit fi setups, I can see why some ears would prefer them. In fact, I'd say it's likely that people would fall on one side of the other... Can't see too many people liking them both as they do have very different signatures to my ears. For me, the HE6 is just too tilted towards higher frequencies and lacks the natural & spacious quality of the HE1000. There's no doubt the HE1000 lacks some impact in comparison though, this is well documented. I tried a lot of amps and found a few that went a good distance to fix this shortcoming, eventually settling on a Wells Enigma. The HE1000 still doesn't kick as much as an HE6 but it's a lot closer now, and as an overall package they are most definitely the most enjoyable headphones I've ever had the pleasure to hear (let alone own). Still reckon they look stupid though :)

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,252 of 14,626
Hello, all.

I know a headphone that would outperform the HE-6, in short, it is a "super HE-6", much easier to drive, but also more pleasant to hear while being as natural to listen as the HE-1000, but with more impact and be more incisive, approaching a little at listening of the LCD3 (in addition clear and faster) or better yet (assumption) to the LCD4; however, it is heavy and not more comfortable than LCD4 / LCD3. You can not have it all 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #7,256 of 14,626
Kennerton Odin

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,257 of 14,626
stax SR-5 sorbothanized , this headphone was totl headphone of the world in 1975, without sorbothane added,  total price today used  : 60 dollars.....  so good that this SR-5 + sorbothane cure upgraditis, i realize that my answer is not right because they are comfortable and the price is not  in the same order , and nobody will trust anyone that they sound so good with a natural rendering of the musical timbre of instrument if not personaly listen to , ( they destruct my Stax lambda nova basic because of that ) hence ....
deadhorse.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #7,260 of 14,626
Shame I could't get a comfortable fit with the Odin. And the adjustment mechanism is just dumb :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back