Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #5,671 of 14,627
these posts about "headstage" (describing cans as having soundstage is pushing it imo) just goes to show how subjective this hobby is and how much our listening preferences vary. for me, listening to recorded music thru cans is so far removed from being at a live musical performance that these comparisons to seating positions in music venues are kinda meaningless tbh.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,672 of 14,627

That should sound great with the HE1000. Or wait for Dave?

mmm......yup. It sounded great. So far, I've tested the HE1K with the Mass Kobo 394, Hifiman EL6 and the Cypher Lab Sustain84 (with the excellent Chord QBD76 as the common DAC) - all of them really, really good set-ups (or it scales up the performance of the HE1K, far and above any of my portable amp/dacs. Lacking, much? Insecure, much?  LOL!). I really should branch out to the real amp/dacs (a.k.a. the desktop-class machines).  Btw, pardon my ignorance, but who is Dave?

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #5,673 of 14,627
Never heard of Dave?

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,675 of 14,627
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,676 of 14,627
So...now that I'm considering my cable options for my HE-1000. Is a silver cable the best option? Seems like there's a lot of mention of Silver Dragons in the thread. Only problem is that I have no experience ordering Silver Dragon Cables to China (where I am at the moment), and Chinese headphone cables seem ridiculously expensive (and unnecessarily complicated).

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #5,677 of 14,627
If someone finds anything about headphones, soundstage, or preference meaningless - then don't bother to read it, just move one to the next post.  

I find it interesting to read others views and preferences on many things related to headphones.  If a cable conversations comes up, I don't comment on it I Just move on to the next post.  

It's a hobby, and we're here to discuss it and all that comes with it.  It just so happens we are not all in agreement with every single thing.  

Get real..

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,678 of 14,627
  So...now that I'm considering my cable options for my HE-1000. Is a silver cable the best option? Seems like there's a lot of mention of Silver Dragons in the thread. Only problem is that I have no experience ordering Silver Dragon Cables to China (where I am at the moment), and Chinese headphone cables seem ridiculously expensive (and unnecessarily complicated).

From how I hear it, yes, silver wires would be my choice. You may need a Paypal account for ordering from Moon Audio. But there are also other manufacturers of silver cables.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #5,679 of 14,627
Haven't tried any silver cables...right now listening to Fountains of Wayne "Yolanda Hayes"...JRiver from PC/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition/MicroZOTL2/Norne Zoetic cable. Man, heavenly sounds...it's a system.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,680 of 14,627
If someone finds anything about headphones, soundstage, or preference meaningless - then don't bother to read it, just move one to the next post.  

I find it interesting to read others views and preferences on many things related to headphones.  If a cable conversations comes up, I don't comment on it I Just move on to the next post.  

It's a hobby, and we're here to discuss it and all that comes with it.  It just so happens we are not all in agreement with every single thing.  

Get real..

if you're referring to my post (you might not be but it sure looks that way) then i suggest you take your own advice :wink:

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,681 of 14,627
if you're referring to my post (you might not be but it sure looks that way) then i suggest you take your own advice
wink.gif

Yes I was.  And I am..

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #5,684 of 14,627

Within the context of the recent discussion on soundstage, some headphones have a distant-sounding soundstage and others don't, and I happen to prefer the ones that don't, and then you go and posit that I'm not a "headphone guy after all"? What is that supposed to mean? I used to own the Stax OII MKI, as you know, and I really liked the sound of that headphone (and I didn't sell it because I stopped liking its sound, I sold it for other reasons). So I don't understand your comment, particularly when there are plenty of other headphones that I've really liked as well, just not ones like the HD800, SR-009, or now the HE1K. If you meant to say that I'm not into headphones that have a distant-sounding soundstage that would be accurate, but to say I'm not a "headphone guy" is simply inaccurate.

And while we're on the subject of soundstage, headstage, etc, particularly in the context of flagship headphones, that reminds me of darth nut's excellent 2003 review of the OII MKI: http://www.head-fi.org/t/40313/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership

I can understand your perspective, but I also listen to classical a fair amount and don't like expansive soundstages with it, at all. I'm sure that's probably intended to provide the illusion of a concert hall, but for me when a headphone expands the soundstage and I'm listening to classical music, I lose my connection to the music. I want to feel like I'm as close to the orchestra as possible, not away from it.

And it's now clear to me that there are at least two different perspectives on this when it comes to classical music and soundstage. Clearly you and Wildcatsare1 have the same perspective on needing that expanded soundstage for classical music to sound life-like.

But I'd challenge both of you on this perspective, because that's just not the whole picture of getting life-like-sounding classical music. True, classical music is usually performed in some type of concert hall or auditorium otherwise, and I definitely understand that some people seek to replicate that "soundstage" at home, whether it's on loudspeakers or headphones.

But as a musician myself (violinist, specifically), to equate "speaker-like" to "life-like" isn't the whole picture. What about the aspect of tonality? Don't you care if the strings sound fake or glossy? Or if the brass sounds shrill or too bronzy? Or the woodwinds nasal? Or that the percussion delivers ground-shaking impact? Or that loud fortissimos hit you in the chest from their intensity? Life-like includes that too, it's not only the soundstage.

For me, an orchestra in front of me is exactly what I want. Ideally I'd like to feel like I'm in the conductor's position, and not in the audience. The Stax OII MKI delivered exactly that for me when I owned it, which is just one reason why I liked it so much. It consistently made me feel like I was either directly in front of the orchestra, or even in it, and that was just one factor that contributed to it sounding life-like & realistic to me, as a violinist. I've played in orchestras before and know just how intense everything around me can sound; and if I can get that experience from headphones, then that's something I want!

That's just my take on this subject of classical music & soundstage, anyway, because this difference of opinion on Head-Fi isn't usually clearly seen & understood enough by those who listen to classical music. We're all fans of classical music, but it's obvious not all of us are really listening to the same thing.

Not a musician myself, usually seated center stage, row 12-15 when possible, so "realistic" remains relative. As an audience member the conductor's podium would be a very unnatural perspective. For classical the "illusion" of depth, layer, and imaging reproduce what one hears in the audience. For some music, I do enjoy the musicians playing upfront and present, there I enjoy my Grados or CIEMs. Actually anything that is minimum miking I prefer the illusion of musicians in space. Yours is a different perspective, there isn't a right or wrong, just subjective preference. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #5,685 of 14,627
  And back to the HE1Ks........  

They have a great soundstage.  The soundstage along with the bass and clarity is sure to be their strong points.  

Daryl, did you decide to keep the Abyss and sell your HEK? If so, what did you prefer about the Abyss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back