Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,686 of 14,681
And back to the HE1Ks........  

They have a great soundstage.  The soundstage along with the bass and clarity is sure to be their strong points.  

thought the hd800 outperformed it for headstage, clarity and bass definition/texture tbh

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,687 of 14,681
   ...It just so happens we are not all in agreement with every single thing.  

Yes we are. Oh, except this. 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #5,691 of 14,681

Yes we are. Oh, except this. 
wink.gif

Hey @immtbiker wanted to complete you and the other two Amigos on a wonderful review on the HEK!

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-introduction-to-hifiman/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-2-of-3-peters-impressions/

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-3-of-3-listening-impressions/

For those of you who may have missed them, an excellent read!

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,694 of 14,681
  So...now that I'm considering my cable options for my HE-1000. Is a silver cable the best option? Seems like there's a lot of mention of Silver Dragons in the thread. Only problem is that I have no experience ordering Silver Dragon Cables to China (where I am at the moment), and Chinese headphone cables seem ridiculously expensive (and unnecessarily complicated).

Mmm....can't really say whether silver is the best option(s) for the he1k but I now have 2 silvers (Moon Audio Silver Dragon and Whiplash 8-wire silver). Lacking any reference point (I have not even tried my he1k with the stock cable), I find the silver to be a very good match with the hp. Whiplash is easily available in HK. Moon Audio is a very pleasant dealer to deal with: excellent service and fast turn-around (and they have not yet screwed up any of my orders).

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #5,695 of 14,681
Waiting to get into *Blues and Barbecue" festival on Manhattan's waterfront. I think we sometimes use terms imprecicely. Imaging, layering, and soundstage (headstage) would mean different things to me. I'd take imaging to be placement across a "stage", so that, say, the singer is getting and center, the guitar is off to the right. Layering would flesh our the 3D more, so the bass may be to the left but behind the singer and guitar, with the singer left of center and even further back. Soundsta,ge I'd take (and others may differ here, this is where I think most controversy lies) to mean both the sense of space or "air" between instruments, and the sense of the size/shape of the space (how far back the side and back walls are, etc). I find all of the above are clear, easy to appreciate, and see more realistic as the gear improves, with the exception of venue size. This I find easier to discern with speakers, headphones give me some sense of scale, but the diagrams people sometimes draw with detailed size and shape of venue is beyond me. Maybe it's high frequency hearing loss of age, maybe a lack of some sort of imagination on my part.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,696 of 14,681

So...now that I'm considering my cable options for my HE-1000. Is a silver cable the best option? Seems like there's a lot of mention of Silver Dragons in the thread. Only problem is that I have no experience ordering Silver Dragon Cables to China (where I am at the moment), and Chinese headphone cables seem ridiculously expensive (and unnecessarily complicated).

From how I hear it, yes, silver wires would be my choice. You may need a Paypal account for ordering from Moon Audio. But there are also other manufacturers of silver cables.

The Silver Dragons cured my biggest complaint with the HE-- the lack of snap on snare drum hits and other instruments in that frequency range.  With the stock cable, songs with a heavy snare that popped through the mix, were recessed.  It made songs with a strong beat sound too mellow.  I have no idea how a cable can affect a headphone in this way, it doesn't seem logical, but changing to the Silver Dragon definitely improved the issue to the point where I can report no flaws with the sound of the HE at all.  

I have not auditioned any other cables, so I won't comment on what other manufacturers cables sound like.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #5,697 of 14,681

Thanks for sharing this! I am in the process of deciding between the HE1000 and the HD800. Probably won't get a chance to demo so links like this are very useful. After reading this i had a big smile on my face

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #5,698 of 14,681
Thanks for sharing this! I am in the process of deciding between the HE1000 and the HD800. Probably won't get a chance to demo so links like this are very useful. After reading this i had a big smile on my face

I have both the HD800 and HE1000.  I will likely sell the HD800 in the next 6 months.  I don't use them much since the HE.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #5,699 of 14,681
I have both the HD800 and HE1000.  I will likely sell the HD800 in the next 6 months.  I don't use them much since the HE.

Yes I am getting the impression that the he1000 just shades it. Big difference in price but once I buy expensive gear I tend to stick with it so the cost won't stop me

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #5,700 of 14,681

I like and will keep both. The HD 800 will probably get more listening time again after the HE1000's novelty effect has worn off. What I can say, though, is that the HE1000 sounds more musical to me, more involving, particularly with classical and jazz. It seems to take more care to subtleties and to image sonic colors more correctly and with a wider spectrum of shades. (Both equalized.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back