Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5,581 of 14,653
  It’s not uncommon to use and beef up the DAC’s analog output stage and use it like a pre and then connect the DAC direct to a power amp. The advantage to this is that you will have one amplifying stage and one connection less that the signal need to pass thru. The analog output stage of the DAC and the volume pot of course need to be of good quality, as good or better than a good pre.  

This doesn’t mean that amplifying in different stages is bad and by doing it we automatically will introduce coloration. Most companies do want (for good reason) to separate the pre-amplifying from the power-amplifying stage which is separated from the DAC section. Sometimes they are placed in different boxes (shields + PSU) other times they are only separated by using individual PSU. Even Chord go separate in their more expansive gears.

The question is will the advantage of one less amplifying stage (it’s an advantage in my book) make it sound better with or without an additional amp? I think it depend on (1) how good the analog output stage in the DAC is compared to the amp xxx, (2) if the DAC has separate PSU’s for different tasks (digital, analog and left and right) (3) can the DAC deliver enough power/current/voltage to drive the HE1K at a certain loudness level, (4) does the DAC has a sound signature you like?

My 2c 

A tiny logic error. Adding a preamp won't separate the DAC's output stage from its DAC section. So if the output stage (representing the preamp in the puristic configuration) is plagued by an interference from the DAC section, the signal sent to the preamp is also affected.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,582 of 14,653

A tiny logic error. Adding a preamp won't separate the DAC's output stage from its DAC section. So if the output stage (representing the preamp in the puristic configuration) is plagued by an interference from the DAC section, the signal sent to the preamp is also affected.

“Adding a preamp won't separate the DAC's output stage from its DAC section” - I agree!

“If the output stage is plagued by an interference from the DAC section the signal sent to the preamp is also affected” - I definitely agree!  I also like to add that the interfered noise will be amplified. 

Sorry cannot identify any logical error in the marked text or from your comments.... Maybe they are there but my logic prevent me from seeing it 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,583 of 14,653
  “Adding a preamp won't separate the DAC's output stage from its DAC section” - I agree!

“If the output stage is plagued by an interference from the DAC section the signal sent to the preamp is also affected” - I definitely agree!  I also like to add that the interfered noise will be amplified. 

Sorry cannot identify any logical error in the marked text or from your comments.... Maybe they are there but my logic prevent me from seeing it 
rolleyes.gif

Maybe a tiny reading error from my part.
blink.gif
But I was under the impression that you also attributeded some advantage to preamps separated from DACs:

Most companies do want (for good reason) to separate the pre-amplifying from the power-amplifying stage which is separated from the DAC section.

However: Sorry if I interpreted you wrongly! 
redface.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,584 of 14,653

Sorry cannot identify any logical error in the marked text or from your comments.... Maybe they are there but my logic prevent me from seeing it :rolleyes:

your logic looked sound to me bro but i'm no expert in dac topology :wink:

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,585 of 14,653
I personally think that the HE-1000 sounds great out of the Hugo. However, the extra power of something like...say the EF-6, does make it better. I find that, on the Chord Hugo, I keep pushing the volume knob higher and higher because I'm trying to hear the finer details...which I can never quite get unless I reach uncomfortably high volumes on the Hugo. I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing, but that's my perspective on the issue :).

I think the HD800 is pretty comparable to the HE-1000. The only issue for me there is that it's rather finicky with amp selection (not exactly new information there). Straight out of the Hugo, it sounds pretty meh...My amp of choice is the SPL Phonitor. I use a Benchmark 2 DAC connected to the Phonitor to listen to my HD800. This is my chosen setup for listening to classical music at my computer when I'm too lazy to head into the other room to use my SR-009 system.

EDIT:

I think the HE-1000 is brilliant for the fact that it sounds pretty good out of just a Hugo, making it an ideal backpack headphone that I can take to work to listen (note that I didn't say portable, I certainly wouldn't use it while going to work!). It's certainly more convenient as an office headphone than the HD800, which requires an amp to sound good.

Of course...the HD800 + amp is cheaper than the HE-1000 on its own...so...

I can confirm the SPL Phonitor & HD800 is an excellent pairing, source was Nad M51 / Essence One Muse Edition.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #5,586 of 14,653
Hello all,

When looking for headphone cables, what size and type of connection do I need to fit into each headphone cup? Is there another popular headphone with the same connection allowing me to consider cables on the for sale forum?

Thanks much,

Shmuel

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #5,587 of 14,653
Hello all,

When looking for headphone cables, what size and type of connection do I need to fit into each headphone cup? Is there another popular headphone with the same connection allowing me to consider cables on the for sale forum?

Thanks much,

Shmuel

Don't know if another headphone has the same connectors, but the HE-1000 appears to have 2.5mm connectors into its headphone cups.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #5,588 of 14,653
  Don't know if another headphone has the same connectors, but the HE-1000 appears to have 2.5mm connectors into its headphone cups.

That's correct. For some reason they're 3-pole, but maybe the 2-pole version would also work. I have used 3-pole plugs to be on the safe side for converting a HD 800 Silver Dragon cable.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #5,591 of 14,653
Part One of the 3 Part HE1000 Headphone.Guru review is now up:

http://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-introduction-to-hifiman/

Part Two will be available tomorrow, and Part Three on Wednesday 
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #5,592 of 14,653
Hello all,

Thanks much,

Shmuel

It is a 2.5mm mono connection same as Oppo PM-1 and PM-2.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5,594 of 14,653
  Mmm.......what are the chances of a closed-back HE1K? Dear Santa, I have been a good boy.................xoxoxo

Has Hifiman ever made a closed headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back