Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,596 of 14,627
Any recommendations for a carrying case? Has anybody found a good carrying case for this monster?

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,598 of 14,627
For those interested in the PhD thesis of Dr. Bian Fang, the innovator behind the HE1000, look here:

Synthesis and characterization of Lanthanide Aluminotungstates and Rhenium Polyoxometalates: Potential Application in Molecular Information Storage Devices

Author:
Fang Bian

Year of Dissertation:

Program:
Chemistry

Advisor:
Lynn Francesconi

Abstract:

Abstract Synthesis, speciation, and application of Polyoxometalates: Redox Molecular Information Storage Device Pre-research and Rhenium Chemistry By Fang Bian Adviser: Professor Lynn C. Francesconi Polyoxometalates (abbreviated as POMs) are metal-oxide clusters with frameworks built from group 5 or 6 transition metals linked by shared oxide ions. The Keggin structure is one of the most famous structural forms of POMs. Keggin anions have a general formula of [XM12O40]n-, where X is a p-block atom and M is a transition metal atom such as W or Mo. Upon removal of one MO4+ unit from the Keggin anion, the monovacant structure [XM11O39]n- is formed. Those POMs that have lost one or more metal center are called lacunary POMs, which are very nice building blocks for the fabrication of coordination polymers. My research focuses on two facets of POM chemistry: 1) Lanthanide chemistry of aluminum tungstate monovacant Keggin and 2) Rhenium chemistry of aluminum tungstate Keggin and Wells-Dawson POM a1-P2W17O61. In lanthanide POM research area, we obtained the following results: 1) The starting material aluminum tungstate monovacant Keggin α-K9AlW12O39 was synthesized. Its single crystal was firstly identified by multinuclear NMR and X-ray crystallography. Its redox properties on the nano-scale solid state were determined by Conducting Electrostatic Force Mode (EFM) probes. It is well known that for POMs, a number of varies redox states are normally stable and reversible. Thus we estimated that POMs can potentially be used in molecular information storage applications, which we refer to as "redox disk drives". 2) Eight lanthanide aluminum tungstate Keggin complexes were synthesized. In their molecular structures (identified by multinuclear NMR and X-ray crystallography), each α-AlW11O39 is connected by lanthanide (III) cations to form 1D and 2D networks. All AlW11O39 Keggin POMs are regularly aligning on a flat plane. Microscopic data also verified that there is layer-by-layer morphology in this series of compounds. Overall, we postulate that aluminum tungstate Keggin POMs are a very promising materials for making future information storage device because they have several stable redox states and can be reduced by adding voltage in solid state, The Keggin POMs can be regularly aligned on a flat plane, 3) In rhenium chemistry research area, we successfully synthesized rhenium complexes of the [a1-P2W17O61]10- and α-K9AlW13O39. The structure info of [ReVO(a1-P2W17O61)]7- was identified by multinuclear NMR and X-ray crystallography. The cyclic-voltammetry of [ReVO(a1-P2W17O61)]7- has also been measured and compared to the [ReVO(a2-P2W17O61)]7- isomer. A rhenium derivative of α-K9AlW11O39 also has been synthesized. Multinuclear NMR gives structure information. After oxidation in air, this compound can aggregate to form insoluble nanoparticles.

- See more at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/GC-Header/Alumni/Alumni-Dissertations-and-Theses.aspx?sortby=author&page=24#sthash.7GKBFs25.dpuf

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #5,599 of 14,627
Hard to understand for me. As far as I get, it relates to a new potential data storage medium and not to the HE1000. Or does it?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,600 of 14,627
  Hard to understand for me. As far as I get, it relates to a new potential data storage medium and not to the HE1000. Or does it?

I think the possible area of commonality is in aspects of nanotechnology common to both the data storage medium of the thesis and the membrane of the HE1000 - might include the use of conducting electrostatic force probes, multi nuclear magnetic resonance, and X-ray crystallography to diagnose the structure, perhaps the use of polyoxalmetalates (POMs), if not for the membrane then for the magnetic transducers intimately attached to the membranes, the means to construct a layer-by-layer 2D morphology, and... oh, really, I don't know!

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #5,601 of 14,627
Fascinating!
biggrin.gif
 Whatever will they think of next? 
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #5,603 of 14,627
Inorganic chemistry was never my forte, neither was physical chem. I'm familiar with NMR, x-ray crystallography (or similar), and AFM though since those are very common methods used in surface chemistry and surface analysis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductive_atomic_force_microscopy

But yeah, this research, based on the abstract at least, seems mostly irrelevant to the HE1000.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5,604 of 14,627
I think the possible area of commonality is in aspects of nanotechnology common to both the data storage medium of the thesis and the membrane of the HE1000 - might include the use of conducting electrostatic force probes, multi nuclear magnetic resonance, and X-ray crystallography to diagnose the structure, perhaps the use of polyoxalmetalates (POMs), if not for the membrane then for the magnetic transducers intimately attached to the membranes, the means to construct a layer-by-layer 2D morphology, and... oh, really, I don't know!

great ice breaker - must remember that for the next dinner party

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,605 of 14,627
great ice breaker - must remember that for the next dinner party

It also works even better than sheep to put you (or your partner) to sleep!

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #5,606 of 14,627
So...basically....POMs have weak magnetic properties that can be electrically manipulated, which alters the charge of the central ion, which makes it ideal as a high density storage medium...or possibly as a component of the nanometer thick membrane in headphones that can be attracted to the different magnets depending on the charge applied?

...It's been a while since I've studied any chemistry.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,607 of 14,627
Amazing, you guys just took the words right out of my Mouth!!!!
:redface:

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #5,609 of 14,627
Still not sure how this relates to the HE1k ?

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #5,610 of 14,627
Could someone give a quick summary of the positive and negative aspects of the sonics of the HE1000?

(Is lack of impact the worst negative?  Electrostatics lack impact and many people love them.  This headphone is meant to imitate and electrostatic headphone so I see no surprise here.)

For those who don’t like or sold their HE1000- what sonic characteristics bothered them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back