Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #5,476 of 14,748
I agree that (to my ears), soundstage doesn't exist the way it does over speaker (or on stage). I disagree on jazz though...for me, the intimate presentation more than makes up for being able to figure out haw far back the wall of the venue is.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,477 of 14,748
I haven't heard the HE1000 yet, but would expect the jazz soundstage to be very impressive.  I think jazz excels on HP's with a big soundstage.  I know it's true with my HD800's.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #5,478 of 14,748
I haven't heard the HE1000 yet, but would expect the jazz soundstage to be very impressive.  I think jazz excels on HP's with a big soundstage.  I know it's true with my HD800's.

Dick, the HEK to me combines many of the HD800 and LCD3s positive attributes. Staging very close to the 800s but the more "laid back" tonality of the LCD3.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,479 of 14,748
I will say that with the cable I am now using and amping system with the Hugo as the dac, I am getting the best sound I have heard. I would not term it laid back, it is whatever the music is. The PS I use, the Mojo V, I was told would take 800 hours to reach its peak (groan) and I am there and fluidity of sound of the combination of the headphones and everything else is spectacular. I am finding that the HE1000 change to whatever I plug them into and that makes it very easy to hear changes when I make a tube change or op amp etc. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,480 of 14,748
  Is the midrange on the HEK recessed, forward- or just right?

If it is recessed- is it as much as the TH900?

I would appreciate some descriptions of the HEK midrange please..

They are in no way recessed (especially like the TH900s). Actually the HE1000s have some of the best mids I've ever heard.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,481 of 14,748
  I will say that with the cable I am now using and amping system with the Hugo as the dac, I am getting the best sound I have heard. I would not term it laid back, it is whatever the music is. The PS I use, the Mojo V, I was told would take 800 hours to reach its peak (groan) and I am there and fluidity of sound of the combination of the headphones and everything else is spectacular. I am finding that the HE1000 change to whatever I plug them into and that makes it very easy to hear changes when I make a tube change or op amp etc. 

Sacrilege!
eek.gif
You know that the Hugo's DAC is designed to drive headphones without detours?

I can only repeat Rob Watts' post and myself: You're sacrificing transparency and making the sound slower than necessary – for the sake of euphony – with needless electronics in the signal path. Are you aware that all amplifiers degrade the signal? I understand that perfectioning the sonic balance (if that's a motive) is important, but there are other, cleaner methods than delegating an amp for that task.

Now if you are aware of all that and deliberately renounce to maximize the HE1000's «technical» strenghts – thus the realism from a signal as accurate as possible and as close to the original – because the now sonic characteristic is exactly what you want your music to sound like, I will shut up.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #5,482 of 14,748
Huh?

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,483 of 14,748

Sacrilege!
eek.gif
You know that the Hugo's DAC is designed to drive headphones without detours?

I can only repeat Rob Watts' post and myself: You're sacrificing transparency and making the sound slower than necessary – for the sake of euphony – with needless electronics in the signal path. Are you aware that all amplifiers degrade the signal? I understand that perfectioning the sonic balance (if that's a motive) is important, but there are other, cleaner methods than delegating an amp for that task.

Now if you are aware of all that and deliberately renounce to maximize the HE1000's «technical» strenghts – thus the realism from a signal as accurate as possible and as close to the original – because the now sonic characteristic is exactly what you want your music to sound like, I will shut up.

Using the Hugo as a dac and not an amp, in this case, works. I can easily compare the two and the micro Zotl is more open, transparent and dynamic. They work well together. No compromise just quality sound. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,484 of 14,748
Have an interesting combination...just got the Regen that's being talked about on Computer Audiophile and its own thread here on Head Fi. Connected it to my PC, then into Geek Out Special Edition, then into the HEK/Norne cables. Think this is a winner of a combo on initial listening, and the GO SE is great sounding on its own imo. Next step, connect the MicroZOTL2 to he line out GO SE. Man, Hi Rez Dead (American Beauty) sounding truly marvelous! Need to burn in for a bit, play around a bit, more later...

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #5,485 of 14,748
On a negative note, I am one of the few who don't really find the HEK all that comfortable. Went out on the dog walk with it today, about 45 minutes, between the clamp on the ears and the pressure on the top of the head, not enjoyable (great sounds, balanced from Pono, which is why I did it in the first place). :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #5,486 of 14,748
Walking the dog with HE1000's? People must think u crazy

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #5,487 of 14,748
But on a positive note, listening to Henry Butler-Steve Bernstein and the Hot 9, track Viper's Drag (look for it, fabulous N'awlins jazz), man, can't sit still, fabulous sounding!

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #5,488 of 14,748
Aug 13, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #5,489 of 14,748
The Garage 1217 Project Polaris is powerful enough to drive the HE-6, but is it powerful enough to drive the HE-1000, TO IT'S MAX capabilities though? Obviously if it can drive the 6 it will drive the 1000 because the 1000 is more efficient. To what extent is the golden question though.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,490 of 14,748
The Geek Out Special Edition (1K) is enough to drive the HEK, think it is the quality of the amp/dac, not so much the power (though extra headroom may be of benefit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back