Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 13, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,491 of 14,734
The Geek Out Special Edition (1K) is enough to drive the HEK, think it is the quality of the amp/dac, not so much the power (though extra headroom may be of benefit).

What about the V2+ Infinity? EDIT: Dumb question, as the V2/+ has 1000mW into 16 ohms.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #5,492 of 14,734
In response to my original headphone case post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/5385#post_11799542, I found a few cases that fit the HE1000 to various degrees.

The Marc Jacobs Pretty Nylon Tablet Case ($68 or lower at places like Nordstrom Rack [http://www.marcjacobs.com/pretty-nylon-tablet-case/M6PE007.html]) is thickly lined inside, and is a very snug fit for the HE1000, as the headband needs to be pushed down slightly so the case can fit.  The case is a good choice if you want the utmost in tight portability.

The A4 Cushion Case ($1.50 at Daiso Japan) fits the HE1000 and cables, provides dust and light protection, but will not provide much protection in the event of a drop.

My favorite is the Rebecca Minkoff Tablet Case - Black (purchased on sale at a Windows Store).  It fits the Windows Pro 2 perfectly, and fits the HE1000 and cables perfectly.  The case is padded neoprene, has a soft fleece lining, a removable nylon strap with strong metal hardware, has a pyramid design on the outside, so shock dissipation is exemplary.  I see one currently on eBay (used) for $10.00.  Great price because usually the Minkoff case costs over $100.  So, after writing this I thought it's such a great case that I purchased the one that is $10.  I do see a couple on eBay (Red and Blue) for $19.99 to $29.99 which are great prices. 

Marc Jacobs Pretty Nylon Tablet Case and Daiso A4 Cushion Case

Rebecca Minkoff Tablet Case - Black and HE1000

Rebecca Minkoff Tablet Case with hardware and HE1000

Inside of Minkoff Tablet Case

Ample room for headband - soft fleece lining

HE1000 inside of the Minkoff Tablet Case

Close-up look at Minkoff Tablet Case's pyramids

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #5,493 of 14,734
On a negative note, I am one of the few who don't really find the HEK all that comfortable. Went out on the dog walk with it today, about 45 minutes, between the clamp on the ears and the pressure on the top of the head, not enjoyable (great sounds, balanced from Pono, which is why I did it in the first place).
frown.gif

I don't personally find the HE-1000 comfortable either. My head is big enough that even the largest adjustment is perhaps still a bit tight for me. I've been thinking of perhaps removing the leather headband and replacing it with a more stretchable band (like the one on the Philips X2) or simply gluing some foam to the metal band at the top.

Not sure I'd be willing to risk damaging such an expensive pair of headphones though.
redface.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #5,494 of 14,734

mmm.....don't! Use it for a couple of months until: the clamp force is negligitble or you get used to it. It is such a beautifully  created headphone and to "modify" it with whatever is considered a crime against humanity. :wink:

Found the perfect bag, good for traveling everywhere. Case Logic https://www.caselogic.com/en/international/devices/camera/dslr/slr-cameralaptop-backpack-_-slrc_-_206_-_black

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #5,495 of 14,734
I just got in my own set of the HE1000—as a loaner unit from HeadAmp (thanks Justin!) for the upcoming 8/22 Denver CO meet I'm organizing, that is. I'm listening to it as I type this, and my initial impression is that once again, HiFiMan has made a headphone that does not fit my head properly. Like most of HiFiMan's previous headphones I've gotten or heard otherwise (HE-5LE, HE-400, HE-500, HE-560, HE-400i), even at the smallest slide setting it's still too big for my head! Are they ever going to make a headphone that will actually fit my head properly?? It's kinda exasperating, particularly when most other manufacturers make headphones that can actually fit me.

One thing is for sure, there's no flippin' way I'd spend $3K on a headphone that fits me as poorly as the HE1000 does. I'm actually kinda tempted now to "sponge-mod" the HE1000 in the same way I self-modded my old Qualia because it's ridiculous how low it rests on my head.....

The Garage 1217 Project Polaris is powerful enough to drive the HE-6, but is it powerful enough to drive the HE-1000, TO IT'S MAX capabilities though? Obviously if it can drive the 6 it will drive the 1000 because the 1000 is more efficient. To what extent is the golden question though.

Incidentally that's the amp I'm using, but I can't comment (yet) on whether it's powerful enough. Pretty sure the specs indicate it can, though.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #5,496 of 14,734

mmm.....don't! Use it for a couple of months until: the clamp force is negligitble or you get used to it. It is such a beautifully  created headphone and to "modify" it with whatever is considered a crime against humanity. :wink:

Found the perfect bag, good for traveling everywhere. Case Logic https://www.caselogic.com/en/international/devices/camera/dslr/slr-cameralaptop-backpack-_-slrc_-_206_-_black

Nice looking bag!

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #5,497 of 14,734
In order to be as safe as possible while carrying high dollar audio equipment when out and about, I'm currently using a pacsafe backpack to help thwart pickpockets and will be awesome for London while I'm there for CanJam in a couple of weeks:

Purchased a few pacsafe TSA (US) agents and HRSC (UK) officers approved locks as well:

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5,498 of 14,734

Nice looking bag!

mmm......thanks! .and it also packs my Surface Pro 3 in a separate compartment. So, it functions as a headphone traveling circus (everytime I open it, I am almost compelled to show it to complete strangers and start convincing them into buying my headfi rig..........not!) and office backpack. I can work my butt off (to pay for expensive headfi gear) and completely drown myself in beautiful music.........my headfi cocoon/stress reliever/creative juice stimuli.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #5,499 of 14,734
Aug 13, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #5,500 of 14,734
Wow you guys go to extraordinary lengths to protect your HE-1000s.

I just toss mine in a plastic bag to prevent scratches and then shove it into my backpack.

Granted...I haven't gone on public transportation with them yet.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #5,501 of 14,734
  I just got in my own set of the HE1000—as a loaner unit from HeadAmp (thanks Justin!) for the upcoming 8/22 Denver CO meet I'm organizing, that is. I'm listening to it as I type this, and my initial impression is that once again, HiFiMan has made a headphone that does not fit my head properly. Like most of HiFiMan's previous headphones I've gotten or heard otherwise (HE-5LE, HE-400, HE-500, HE-560, HE-400i), even at the smallest slide setting it's still too big for my head! Are they ever going to make a headphone that will actually fit my head properly?? It's kinda exasperating, particularly when most other manufacturers make headphones that can actually fit me.

One thing is for sure, there's no flippin' way I'd spend $3K on a headphone that fits me as poorly as the HE1000 does. I'm actually kinda tempted now to "sponge-mod" the HE1000 in the same way I self-modded my old Qualia because it's ridiculous how low it rests on my head.....

Incidentally that's the amp I'm using, but I can't comment (yet) on whether it's powerful enough. Pretty sure the specs indicate it can, though.

Are you sure they send you the latest production level with the shorter headband? It might be a Beta version with the longer band. In my case I had to use the Beta at the smallest adjustment now with the production version it is on the 3rd from the bottom. I wear a size 7 hat.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 13, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,502 of 14,734
  Using the Hugo as a dac and not an amp, in this case, works. I can easily compare the two and the micro Zotl is more open, transparent and dynamic. They work well together. No compromise just quality sound. 

So the MicroZotl is the much sought-after superneutral headphone amp (= more than neutral) which even Chord can't build, as Rob Watts has to admit. 
blink.gif
All the more astonishing that it's a tube amp! This will finally destroy the myth about the superiority of solid-state amps when it comes to accuracy.
basshead.gif

Just kidding
wink.gif
– and nothing personal! I'm really glad that you enjoy your HE1000 (the way you do). But apparently it's hard to eradicate typical Head-Fi myths, no matter how logical the arguments. «If it sounds good, it is good» is hard to beat.

BTW, is it still fabricated by David Berning, or someone else?

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5,503 of 14,734

mmm.....perhaps I am OC but..............a place for everything and everything in its place. This is how I take care of my headphone babies at home and, on the road, they get VIP protection. Sorry. No plastic bag. Ever.

Quote:
  Wow you guys go to extraordinary lengths to protect your HE-1000s.

I just toss mine in a plastic bag to prevent scratches and then shove it into my backpack.

Granted...I haven't gone on public transportation with them yet.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,504 of 14,734
Mine is not the beta...being too large is not the issue, but the design puts excess pressure in certain spots (top of head particularly) instead of diffusing it as I'm sure was the intent (and works on the 560-the different proportions of the ear cups, which are much larger and heavier on the 1k, changes how it lies).

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,505 of 14,734
Berning "output transformerless" is is a lie - it uses a transformer in the switching converter which it runs the audio through

Quote:
  Toward the fulfillment of these and other objects, the output transformerless amplifier impedance matching apparatus and method has at least one switching power converter bridge having opposite terminals connected between a fixed source of voltage and the load..

... A gate drive frequency of 250 kHz is practical for desired amplifier bandwidths of 100 kHz assuming simple filtering is used to remove switching noise from the load. The full-wave nature of the circuit and the fact that it uses square wave switching leads to the bulk of the switching noise being high-order harmonics of 500 kHz, which can be effectively filtered with a 2nd order L-C filter.
The secondary of the converter transformer with associated rectifiers applies a voltage to the anode electrode of a power vacuum tube that is proportional to the voltage on the primary of the converter transformer..

its success is fine by me - may do objectively fine - after all analog mag tape used similar high frequency AC bias and is revered too as "analog" sound

but it is amusing to consider it gets great ratings from people who would run in horror from even competent switching power supply in tube amps - and the Zotl is running the music through a switching converter

and the patent expires the end of this month - anyone can use the tech after that

Publication numberUS5612646 A
Publication typeGrant
Application numberUS 08/521,494
Publication dateMar 18, 1997
Filing dateAug 30, 1995
Priority dateAug 30, 1995
Fee statusPaid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back