Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 13, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #4,306 of 14,798
  Oh, Peter. You totally should. I'm just giving you ****.

I think Frank will be doing them and he'll do a wonderful job (as usual). I've got the Deckard to finish up then a trip to central Canada (and a my battle with with mosquitos awaits
confused.gif
).

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #4,308 of 14,798

Compared with the LCD3 (non-fazor) and the SR009, I would rank the HE-1000 in the middle. LCD3 sounds frail to my ears at times (and I heard Liquid Fire is one of the best amps to drive LCD3) - perhaps the Fazor version is better. To my ears, the Liquid Fire + HE1000 combo is definitely better than Liquid Fire + LCD3. 

Make no mistake - HE-1000 still can't touch Stax SR-009 in terms of transient speed and transparency - that much is clear. The soundstage is really impressive though. I always laugh at people who talk about soundstage in the context of headphones and IEMs, as I do have a full speaker system in a sizable room. This is the first time that I feel orchestral music is actually listenable to on a pair of headphones - that goes a long way.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #4,310 of 14,798
  I think there is an advantage to using a place like Moon/TTVJ/Headamp or even Crutchfield (they carry Hifiman too)  because you have someone to talk to directly if there are any issues.

That and I saved $400 off the HE1k cause I bought a peak/volcano a year ago from todd. Saved $1k in total if you add in the wheatfield ha-2 and demo hd800. Terrific amps + terrific headphones + $1k off =
normal_smile .gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #4,311 of 14,798

I think there is an advantage to using a place like Moon/TTVJ/Headamp or even Crutchfield (they carry Hifiman too)  because you have someone to talk to directly if there are any issues.

That and I saved $400 off the HE1k cause I bought a peak/volcano a year ago from todd. Saved $1k in total if you add in the wheatfield ha-2 and demo hd800. Terrific amps + terrific headphones + $1k off =
normal_smile%20.gif

I keep telling my wife, "look at all the money we're saving, well be rich if I keep this up!". She just gives me this funny look...

(Man, I've saved BIG-HE-iK beta, Liquid Carbon, acs Encores, SOOOOO much money saved at LH Labs!!!! :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4,313 of 14,798
 We ar eplanning something different with the HE1000 reviwq since we have three of us with them .

Looking forward to the review by the three of yea.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #4,314 of 14,798
   We ar eplanning something different with the HE1000 reviwq since we have three of us with them .

OMG... I am just A-QUIVER with anticipation of your Trifecta Review.

Not sure whether to look forward to this...

or to this...

...but I know it will be Worth the Weight! 
smile.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,316 of 14,798
  Listening to my production version HE-1000s right now. They just arrived and they look great and prove that planar magnetic headphones CAN be very comfortable! Seriously, they are as comfortable as my SR-009s or HD800s after about an hour. The build quality is excellent; as is the storage box that came with them.

Sound wise I don't want to say too much. But I did get shivers when I started listening to some Dire Straits. Telegraph Road's beginning was as real as I've heard it...literally sent shivers down my spine. I can certainly hear why Frank I raved about them...so far seems very well warranted!

FWIW, I'm playing them through my main rig: balanced 4pin XLR --> GS-X Mk2 --> Metrum Hex DAC --> Cambridge Audio 650C CD Transport --> CD of Dire Straits' Greatest Hits

L3000.gif

I can highly recommend the Japan SHM-CD of Love Over Gold. The dynamic range (including of course Telegraph Road) is superb for a modern-ish CD release.  Way better sounding than the Best Of album.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,317 of 14,798
Comfort is, off course, an individual thing, but, actually, I find the HE 560 much more comfortable than the HEK (i have the one with the smaller band), seems to put all the pressure on one spot at the top of my head rather than distribute as the 560 does.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #4,318 of 14,798
Comfort is, off course, an individual thing, but, actually, I find the HE 560 much more comfortable than the HEK (i have the one with the smaller band), seems to put all the pressure on one spot at the top of my head rather than distribute as the 560 does.

The weight of the HE-1000 is heavier than the HE-560, and it is a larger headphone. Does give your ears more diameter to play with, but if your ears already fit fine in the HE-560, yes the HE-560 will be relatively more comfortable than the HE-1k. Neither one should fall into the uncomfortable territory for most people even with extended multiple hour listening sessions though. The old Hifiman headphones (HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-400, HE-500, HE-6) are all significantly heavier, and all Audeze headphones including their lightest EL-8 are heavier than the HE-1k.

Here is a list of my measured weights for all the headphones I have atm without any cables attached
(on my kitchen scale, note none of my measured weights match official quoted weights) 

AKG K7xx = 294 grams
PM-3 = 331 grams
HE-560 = 383 grams
Alpha Prime = 451 grams
HE-1000 = 486 grams
Audeze EL-8 = 504 grams.
Audeze LCD-X = 682 grams

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,319 of 14,798
It is significantly heavier than the 560, and I feel it, want to move it or take it off at some point. Think it may be an unfunded consequence of the shortened band...it seems to make ask the weight focus on one spout on the top.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #4,320 of 14,798
Coming from LCD-3 (and previously the LCD-2), I find the HE1000 very comfy... Not as comfy as the SR009 though, as the elongated drivers put all the weight on the center of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back