Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #3,272 of 14,676
Apr 26, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,273 of 14,676
I have been an He-6 user for more than three years and basically listening to it every day . I had used Audio GD NFB 10.32SE , a tripath T2022 amp , Audio Note P-3, Sansui AU-X11 , and a 400w into 4 ohm power amp with Chord Hugo driving HE-6 . I am pretty familiar with the sonic chararcters and the potential of HE-6.

The past weekend I attended the Shanghai International Hi-Fi Show( SIAV) , where Hifiman had a stall demonstrating HE1000/EF1000, HE6& HE560/EF6 ,etc. All thge sources are HM901 and Dock. HE-560 was driven SE and HE-6 was driven balanced by EF6. Just next to it HE1000 was driven balanced by EF1000. There are only 7 WAV files in ther 901s among them are California Hotel/Eagles and a celtic song ( familar but name forgotten ) by Meav, and Sarasate Zigeunereisen by von Sohpie Mutter ,etc. I must say that the songs are 16/44.1 and are picked out from a very popular audiophile collection CD in China and by nature are very so called "Hi-Fi" in presentation . In my experience such recordings presents itself very well in low-to midfi and thus demonstrators use these kind of recordings to show off their products . These recordings simply sound good on all equipments , and of course sound usually better as your equipment is better  . However in Extreme- Fi , I believe these so called Hi-Fi recordings do not have sufficent subtleties in tones , textures and nuances which tend to seperate the really outstanding equipments and the mere excellent ones . My findings may been limited by these recordings 

To put it simply , HE-6 outclassed HE-560 on the same EF-6 , by more than one level. The resoultion, texture , tone etc are not in the same league . The two shared similar sparkling in the treble region , with HE-6 more prominent  .

I auditioned HE1000 for about 20 minutes only . He1000/EF1000 was warm, smooth   and full bodied , as described by Head-fiers in this link .I found also that the treble of HE1000  to be smooth and a bit rolled off when compared with HE-6  Apparently I felt that HE-6 had a clear edge in resolution , texture and nuances. I might have been influenced by the warm and fullness in the presentation of HE-1000 to get an impression that it did not have the ultimate resolution compared with HE-6. Or I might have been too used to the coloration of HE-6. But HE1000 on EF1000 really seemed to me  a more refined and capable version of  Oppo PM-2 ( I auditioned PM-2 on HA-1 in a nearby stall for more than half an hour and was very pleased with its presentation , and I was surprised also that the PM-2 sound so pleasing directly from my mobile phone . ) 

The difference seems most apparent in the presentation of the Meav song. HE-1000/EF1000 simply cannot present the right atmosphere . Celtic music requires very fast , clean and precise reproduction , and extension  in the teble region so as to present the right atmoshpere. In a way celtic music are cold whereas Jazz are hot or warm ( there are cold jazz though ,which I also like ) . One of my friends say those who love Jazz usually does not like Celtic , and vice versa. I have been using Fischer and Fischer speaker ( using all  Dynaudio units  housed in volcanic rock such that there is no cabinet resonance at all ) for a long time and tend to know what sort of gear present  Celtic music well . 

My initial impressions are thus:

1. either that HE-1000 are just side line of HE-6,  instead of a complete upgrade ; Or 

2. that EF-1000 is still not the ultimate partner for HE-1000, namely that it does not explore the full potential of HE-1000.

I wonder if anyone can compare HE-6 and HE1000 , both driven by a good speaker amp. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #3,276 of 14,676
I have been an He-6 user for more than three years and basically listening to it every day . I had used Audio GD NFB 10.32SE , a tripath T2022 amp , Audio Note P-3, Sansui AU-X11 , and a 400w into 4 ohm power amp with Chord Hugo driving HE-6 . I am pretty familiar with the sonic chararcters and the potential of HE-6.

The past weekend I attended the Shanghai International Hi-Fi Show( SIAV) , where Hifiman had a stall demonstrating HE1000/EF1000, HE6& HE560/EF6 ,etc. All thge sources are HM901 and Dock. HE-560 was driven SE and HE-6 was driven balanced by EF6. Just next to it HE1000 was driven balanced by EF1000. There are only 7 WAV files in ther 901s among them are California Hotel/Eagles and a celtic song ( familar but name forgotten ) by Meav, and Sarasate Zigeunereisen by von Sohpie Mutter ,etc. I must say that the songs are 16/44.1 and are picked out from a very popular audiophile collection CD in China and by nature are very so called "Hi-Fi" in presentation . In my experience such recordings presents itself very well in low-to midfi and thus demonstrators use these kind of recordings to show off their products . These recordings simply sound good on all equipments , and of course sound usually better as your equipment is better  . However in Extreme- Fi , I believe these so called Hi-Fi recordings do not have sufficent subtleties in tones , textures and nuances which tend to seperate the really outstanding equipments and the mere excellent ones . My findings may been limited by these recordings 

To put it simply , HE-6 outclassed HE-560 on the same EF-6 , by more than one level. The resoultion, texture , tone etc are not in the same league . The two shared similar sparkling in the treble region , with HE-6 more prominent  .

I auditioned HE1000 for about 20 minutes only . He1000/EF1000 was warm, smooth   and full bodied , as described by Head-fiers in this link .I found also that the treble of HE1000  to be smooth and a bit rolled off when compared with HE-6  Apparently I felt that HE-6 had a clear edge in resolution , texture and nuances. I might have been influenced by the warm and fullness in the presentation of HE-1000 to get an impression that it did not have the ultimate resolution compared with HE-6. Or I might have been too used to the coloration of HE-6. But HE1000 on EF1000 really seemed to me  a more refined and capable version of  Oppo PM-2 ( I auditioned PM-2 on HA-1 in a nearby stall for more than half an hour and was very pleased with its presentation , and I was surprised also that the PM-2 sound so pleasing directly from my mobile phone . ) 

The difference seems most apparent in the presentation of the Meav song. HE-1000/EF1000 simply cannot present the right atmosphere . Celtic music requires very fast , clean and precise reproduction , and extension  in the teble region so as to present the right atmoshpere. In a way celtic music are cold whereas Jazz are hot or warm ( there are cold jazz though ,which I also like ) . One of my friends say those who love Jazz usually does not like Celtic , and vice versa. I have been using Fischer and Fischer speaker ( using all  Dynaudio units  housed in volcanic rock such that there is no cabinet resonance at all ) for a long time and tend to know what sort of gear present  Celtic music well . 

My initial impressions are thus:

1. either that HE-1000 are just side line of HE-6,  instead of a complete upgrade ; Or 

2. that EF-1000 is still not the ultimate partner for HE-1000, namely that it does not explore the full potential of HE-1000.

I wonder if anyone can compare HE-6 and HE1000 , both driven by a good speaker amp. 

Interesting indeed!
Thanks for sharing that.
I absolutely love my HE-6 after getting used to their sound signature.
I did have to adjust to their slightly bright signature though.
They have some of the highest resolution drivers, and top to bottom coherence that I have ever heard in my life, including HD800.
If the HE1000 actually matches or surpasses the HE-6's treble resolution and extension, I will be very surprised, to be honest.
Maybe I will be keeping my grill modded HE-6, and sending the beta HE1000 back for a deposit refund after I test them head-to-head.
My wallet sure hopes so anyway :D

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3,278 of 14,676
Interesting indeed!
Thanks for sharing that.
I absolutely love my HE-6 after getting used to their sound signature.
I did have to adjust to their slightly bright signature though.
They have some of the highest resolution drivers, and top to bottom coherence that I have ever heard in my life, including HD800.
If the HE1000 actually matches or surpasses the HE-6's treble resolution and extension, I will be very surprised, to be honest.
Maybe I will be keeping my grill modded HE-6, and sending the beta HE1000 back for a deposit refund after I test them head-to-head.
My wallet sure hopes so anyway :D

+1. Yes I a HE1000 beta tester as well and I hope the HE1000 does not beguile me and damn my wallet to oblivion. Hope yea have a good one jamming out to your modded HE-6.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #3,280 of 14,676
10k for a headphone amp - how utterly ridiculous.

It's hard to subscribe to a company that are clearly very capable, when they have equipment that comes with such a ludacris price tag.

A great excuse to promote the 02 again. Cover your ears, folks -

I wonder how my £100 amp will sound next to something that costs NEARLY ONE HUNDRED TIMES MORE.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,281 of 14,676

It's hard to subscribe to a company that are clearly very capable, when they have equipment that comes with such a ludacris price tag.

[COLOR=FF0000]I wonder how my £100 amp will sound next to something that costs NEARLY ONE HUNDRED TIMES MORE.[/COLOR]

+1 :rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #3,282 of 14,676

I wonder how my £100 amp will sound next to something that costs NEARLY ONE HUNDRED TIMES MORE.

My monsoon mm 2000  speakers with the tube Ember pre amp sound in the same league than my stax gear ... i pay them 80 dollars used.... i cannot imagine that i will desire to purchase an amp with this price tag....It will be better but by how far?  I will upgrade my he 400 certainly with the 400I or the 560  or the he 6 i dont know now....the audiophile crowd , and i am in now
bigsmile_face.gif
is a very interesting fauna....

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,283 of 14,676
+1. Yes I a HE1000 beta tester as well and I hope the HE1000 does not beguile me and damn my wallet to oblivion. Hope yea have a good one jamming out to your modded HE-6.

Thanks reddog.
I agree with you 100%.
I'm really enjoying my HE-6.
I like it more and more as I listen to them.
I am looking forward to auditioning the beta HE1000 though :)
Will also be interesting to hear how the Ether will stack up against the HE1000 too.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #3,284 of 14,676
Woah - very interesting.

This is the second time I've heard negatives about the he-1000's treble a long with the video hifiman posted, where Jude and the other guy were listening.

+1...
Yeah, after some of the things about the top end I have been reading lately I'm kind of concerned too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back