HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #286 of 1,228
Im excited to hear this regardless of what anybody thinks... I’m going to laugh hard if its actually superior to the original. My ears will be the judge. It would be cool to see this at Source AV Design Group or at Socal Canjam this year (if it’s not cancelled). Cheers to Sony and Hifiman! Props to Hifiman for coming out with more and more headphones... Unlike another company I love... (Sennheiser!)
Despite my disdain for the copy cat move, I have full confidence that these will sound better than the original, as it would be a disastrous product release otherwise.

I’m counting on the lower tier dynamic model to even outclass the original Sony MDR-R10 - and this is to be expected from an HP released over 2 decades later.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #287 of 1,228
Despite my disdain for the copy cat move, I have full confidence that these will sound better than the original, as it would be a disastrous product release otherwise.

I’m counting on the lower tier dynamic model to even outclass the original Sony MDR-R10 - and this is to be expected from an HP released over 2 decades later.
With HFM, you can always count on “it is expensive because it sound good”. Because otherwise it would be disastrous as you said

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #289 of 1,228
So this is basically an easy to drive closed-back susvara? It pains me to say I will probably buy this. I will wait out for reviews of sound and build quality of course.

We don't know yet whether it's anything like the Susvara. But yes, this is the company that makes what's widely considered the world's best planar magnetic headphone. So a high-end closed back planar from them is indisputably interesting, even if people have mixed feelings about the look and the marketing. And a closed-back dynamic from a company that always does open planars and electrostats is also interesting.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #290 of 1,228
FYI, FR curves. Only the dynamic driver FR curve was posted before, so I've included both for handy comparisons. These were pulled from https://www.itheat.com/view/18899.html

PLANAR:

PLANAR.jpg

DYNAMIC DRIVER:

DYNAMIC.jpg

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #291 of 1,228
FYI, FR curves. Only the dynamic driver FR curve was posted before, so I've included both for handy comparisons. These were pulled from https://www.itheat.com/view/18899.html

PLANAR:

PLANAR.jpg

DYNAMIC DRIVER:

DYNAMIC.jpg
Can't see the details but if those are FR curve response, I don't think even the early MDR-R10 bass lights versions, are -that- light in bass. Gonna google search MDR-R10 FR curves now.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #292 of 1,228
Can't see the details but if those are FR curve response, I don't think even the early MDR-R10 bass lights versions, are -that- light in bass. Gonna google search MDR-R10 FR curves now.

Yea, that graph for the Sony R10 seems WAAY bass light, hard to believe that's real. That's basically no bass. Even something like the Sennheiser HD800 has more bass than that.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #293 of 1,228
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #296 of 1,228
Aug 13, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #297 of 1,228
With HFM, you can always count on “it is expensive because it sound good”. Because otherwise it would be disastrous as you said
Anything can be successfully sold as long as there's a good marketing campaign with lots of positive reviews. How can you claim it's disastrous if SQ is subjective, haha. Way to go for any product with such common belief.
I guess, only Tyll allowed himself to be honest a few times at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back