Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #391 of 634
Hoping to post some impressions by this week. I expect looking at the HE6 thread will be sufficient for seeing if these are right for you sound-wise. The headband and comfort are likely the only variables - but Hifiman could mess that up (see HE-560).

I will agree with others about price, 1800 is a bit high. I expect after some time Hifiman will reduce the price. I am not planning on selling these ever. These are my end game. The HE6 have consistently been my favorite headphone everytime someone brings it to a headphone meet. There is no question in my mind these are worth the price, for me.

Personally, for me, a few hundred dollars aren't a big deal. I'm not saying this in a braggadocios way, I'm just providing context for why I am jumping in early and making sure I don't miss out on the chance to buy a pair of these brand new. Even if they get discounted by a few hundred dollars 6 months later, that's 6 months of enjoyment for me with my absolute favorite headphone. Totally worth it for me, but you may not feel the same. For value hunters, who are looking to "try and flip", forget about it as this price.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #395 of 634
Can anyone tell me how the HE6 compares to the HE560 (different sound signature? detail differences?)

Mind you I've only OWNED the LFF Code-6 which is a modded HE-6, but I have also listened to a stock HE-6 on a few occasions (the stock one seems brighter with less linear treble). And I've owned the HE-560.

HE-560 still seems to have more presence in the upper mids/lower treble region, so in that sense it can seem brighter. But the HE-6 has more presence in the upper treble. I think the HE-560 probably has more linear/less flawed treble by default.

HE-6 has better mids. Improved layering and separation, a bit more full bodied for vocals and most instruments.

HE-560 has better textured bass, but HE-6 bass can slam a bit harder if given enough juice.

HE-6 has much better sound stage and imaging. Probably the biggest advantage either of the two have to my ears. I expected more out of the HE-6/Code-6. I think the Focal Clear would probably beat the HE-6se easily, but I have not listened to the Clear (I have listened to the Utopia, and the Clear is said to be maybe 95% of that). I'd also choose an HD 800 S over an HE-6. And I'd choose a used Stax SR-007 over anything below $2,000 easily.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #396 of 634
Mind you I've only OWNED the LFF Code-6 which is a modded HE-6, but I have also listened to a stock HE-6 on a few occasions (the stock one seems brighter with less linear treble). And I've owned the HE-560.

HE-560 still seems to have more presence in the upper mids/lower treble region, so in that sense it can seem brighter. But the HE-6 has more presence in the upper treble. I think the HE-560 probably has more linear/less flawed treble by default.

HE-6 has better mids. Improved layering and separation, a bit more full bodied for vocals and most instruments.

HE-560 has better textured bass, but HE-6 bass can slam a bit harder if given enough juice.

HE-6 has much better sound stage and imaging. Probably the biggest advantage either of the two have to my ears. I expected more out of the HE-6/Code-6. I think the Focal Clear would probably beat the HE-6se easily, but I have not listened to the Clear (I have listened to the Utopia, and the Clear is said to be maybe 95% of that). I'd also choose an HD 800 S over an HE-6. And I'd choose a used Stax SR-007 over anything below $2,000 easily.
So you're saying that if I don't like the Utopia, I won't like the clears either?

I didn't like the utopias when I demoed them. Their tonality sounded unnatural.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #397 of 634
So you're saying that if I don't like the Utopia, I won't like the clears either?

I didn't like the utopias when I demoed them. Their tonality sounded unnatural.

That should be a safe assumption yeah. Everything I've read suggests the Clear and Utopia are very close and very similar, though there are tonality differences. Tyll thought the Clear had perfect tonality.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones

But I doubt the difference is enough to make you like the Clear.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #398 of 634
I tried both Clear and Utopia in an audio meet. The Clear has better tonality, where Utopia is a bit hot in the upper mid. Utopia is still better in technicalities (resolution, imaging, etc)

Give Clear a shot. It is a good all-rounder. Sub bass and mid bass punch are both there. Vocal and treble is very good. Soundstage is a bit smallish, but I would say it is a normal headphone size. Imaging is good. Overall sound is very clear and fast. I liked it.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #399 of 634
Yeah, I'll try it when I get the chance.

Nobody seems to have focal clears here. Only elears and utopias.

How good is the LCD 3 and LCD 4? I've only heard their LCD2/2C LCD-X and LCD-XC.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #400 of 634

How good is the LCD 3 and LCD 4? I've only heard their LCD2/2C LCD-X and LCD-XC.
Hate the elear. It's funny because i was really anticipating its arrival. When finally arrived, went to my local shop, gave it a listen for about 30 mins...then left. It was shouty and muddy at the same time, reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I once had in college.

How do you like the 2C, in comparison to the X, XC, and 2? It helps to understand your taste.

I have never tried pre-fazor LCD 3, I think. But 3F shares very similar tonality with the 2F. Just more detail. I didnt have the best source at the time.

There was one meet that I went last year, whereby I tested HEKv1 (mine), HEKv2, Abyss, LCD 4, and some other cans. The guy like owned $100k worth of source and amp. It was quite a while ago, so take this with a grain of salt. Both Abyss and LCD 4 have big sound and big impact. The best I have heard till now. Both are probably natural upgrade to the 2C. Compared to the 2C, LCD 4 has better soundstage (especially depth) and imaging. Vocal is richer and sweeter than the 2C. Detail is better, but not by much. Treble and air are more present too. The dark tilt is still there, but less than the 2C. LCD 4 is probably the only better looking LCD than the 2C, in my book. I also remember being surprised that it didnt feel that heavy on my head, but of course 2C still wins in comfort.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #401 of 634

LCD-3 is like a considerably better 2, 4 is like a considerably better version of all of those, borrowing from the X's somewhat brighter tonality too.

So while they have that awesome thick sound and bass, their treble is still too recessed and veiling, really damaging the overall sound. I prefer the ZMF Ori to all of them, similar sound without the fatal treble flaws.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #402 of 634
Hate the elear. It's funny because i was really anticipating its arrival. When finally arrived, went to my local shop, gave it a listen for about 30 mins...then left. It was shouty and muddy at the same time, reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I once had in college.

How do you like the 2C, in comparison to the X, XC, and 2? It helps to understand your taste.

I have never tried pre-fazor LCD 3, I think. But 3F shares very similar tonality with the 2F. Just more detail. I didnt have the best source at the time.

There was one meet that I went last year, whereby I tested HEKv1 (mine), HEKv2, Abyss, LCD 4, and some other cans. The guy like owned $100k worth of source and amp. It was quite a while ago, so take this with a grain of salt. Both Abyss and LCD 4 have big sounds and lots of impact. The best I have heard till now. Both are probably natural upgrade to the 2C. Compared to the 2C, LCD 4 has better soundstage (especially depth) and imaging. Vocal is richer and sweeter than the 2C. Detail is better, but not by much. Treble and air are more present too. The dark tilt is still there, but less than the 2C. LCD 4 is probably the only better looking LCD than the 2C, in my book. I remember being surprised that it didnt feel that heavy on my head, but of course 2C still wins in comfort.
Yeah, I hated the elear too. Very poor considering its price.

Out of the ones I have heard I liked the LCD-XC the most. Slightly more than my Sundaras overall in fact.

And jeez, if the LCD2C wins in terms of comfort, then the LCD4s must be pretty damned uncomfortable. The LCD2Cs were already quite uncomfortable imo.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #403 of 634
LCD-3 is like a considerably better 2, 4 is like a considerably better version of all of those, borrowing from the X's somewhat brighter tonality too.

So while they have that awesome thick sound and bass, their treble is still too recessed and veiling, really damaging the overall sound. I prefer the ZMF Ori to all of them, similar sound without the fatal treble flaws.
Pity, thick sound done right (without/minimal veil) is very addictive. I still miss the N8. Now THAT was euphoric.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #404 of 634
Yeah, I hated the elear too. Very poor considering its price.

Out of the ones I have heard I liked the LCD-XC the most. Slightly more than my Sundaras overall in fact.

And jeez, if the LCD2C wins in terms of comfort, then the LCD4s must be pretty damned uncomfortable. The LCD2Cs were already quite uncomfortable imo.
You serious? The 2C is very comfortable for me. I can wear it for hours. Even the elear is less comfortable for me. I suggest you look elsewhere if you find the 2C heavy. Means no beautiful ZMF and Kennerton woodies for you too.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #405 of 634
You serious? The 2C is very comfortable for me. I can wear it for hours. Even the elear is less comfortable for me. I suggest you look elsewhere if you find the 2C heavy. Means no beautiful ZMF and Kennerton woodies for you too.
Focal headphones are pretty comfy imo lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back