Hifiman HE-6SE and HE-1000SE announcement-
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #406 of 634
You serious? The 2C is very comfortable for me. I can wear it for hours. Even the elear is less comfortable for me. I suggest you look elsewhere if you find the 2C heavy. Means no beautiful ZMF and Kennerton woodies for you too.

Well if the issue with LCD-2C comfort is the suspension headband not actuallt suspending, that's not an issue with most others like ZMF at least.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #407 of 634
What did you like about the Edition X (V2?) over the Clears?

Can anyone tell me how the HE6 compares to the HE560 (different sound signature? detail differences?)
It might be my powerful violectric amp.. the Clears and 800s (owned both) are missing a tough of warmth that I found in the ed x.

All that crystal clearity that people talk about becomes unnatural after awhile. If I can’t figure out how the 6se sounds.
The ed x will be my go to can.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #409 of 634
Nobody seems to have focal clears here. Only elears and utopias.

How good is the LCD 3 and LCD 4? I've only heard their LCD2/2C LCD-X and LCD-XC.

I had a grill and blue tack modded he-6 and an LCD-3f 2015 for about a month (before selling the LCD). I can see how for many it would be a subjective choice where if your incline to like thick and full you might prefer LCD-3f. For me personally he-6 was a hands down winner, the degree of veil vs clarity comparing the 2 put them in a different league IMO. I remember thinking the he-6 downright embarrassed the lcd-3f. I've had other users strongly disagree with this opinion.

I cant accurately compare my super open no fabric he-6 to my current dampened Code-6 because its been 6 month between, but i will say there's a considerable change in flavor. The treble on the code-6 is like absolutely perfect IMO, better then anything else if heard. Its always there but never in the way. decay might not be as fast as my last he-6. I'm tempted to try more modding but i probably wont.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #411 of 634
It might be my powerful violectric amp.. the Clears and 800s (owned both) are missing a tough of warmth that I found in the ed x.

All that crystal clearity that people talk about becomes unnatural after awhile. If I can’t figure out how the 6se sounds.
The ed x will be my go to can.
FYI, my HD800 is warm and nice. It's got plenty of bass slam too. I recommend good tube amp for it to exploit its soundstage and to add warmth ot its dry character.

Have you tried ZMF Eikon or Auteur?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #412 of 634
You serious? The 2C is very comfortable for me. I can wear it for hours. Even the elear is less comfortable for me. I suggest you look elsewhere if you find the 2C heavy. Means no beautiful ZMF and Kennerton woodies for you too.
Not so much the weight. It's more uncomfortable due to the way it clamps. Hifiman's clamp is more bearable.

The HD800/800S has the most comfortable clamp imo. It spreads the pressure over a very large area.

Edit:
20180828_194614.jpg

Trying the LCD 3s now, still uncomfortable due to the clamp.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #413 of 634
FYI, my HD800 is warm and nice. It's got plenty of bass slam too. I recommend good tube amp for it to exploit its soundstage and to add warmth ot its dry character.

Have you tried ZMF Eikon or Auteur?
I think I’m a planar guy. Extreme detailed, dynamic drivers just isn’t my forte.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #414 of 634
Not so much the weight. It's more uncomfortable due to the way it clamps. Hifiman's clamp is more bearable.

The HD800/800S has the most comfortable clamp imo. It spreads the pressure over a very large area.

Edit:

Trying the LCD 3s now, still uncomfortable due to the clamp.
How does it sound to you? Is that 3 or 3F?

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #415 of 634
How does it sound to you? Is that 3 or 3F?
3F. I didn't like it. The bass impact was very lacking. Mids and highs are about the same as the XC. I still prefer hifimans overall. Better extension on both ends and also have better impact and articulation.

BTW, Sorry for going off topic guys

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #416 of 634

This is exactly the problem. These old style headbands can sort of hang from the top of your head. The weight of the headphone on your neck really is not an issue IMO, but it's unbearable all focused on the bony scalp and you find your self tilting your head funny to move around the sore spot.

I've got the perfect solution and it should work with lcd and hifiman. This is a plether pillow the previous owner included, works nice on its own but even better as a suspension strap. I used super glue and a spare pare of shoe laces to attach it at the bottom of the gimbals. Notice the head size adjusters are nearly at maximum and the large space between the strap and headband. This greatly improves the clamping force, the force per area is nearly uniform across the large pillow strap and the ear-pads, which have about the same sponginess. If i were to do it again i would harvest straps from and old backpack or something in place of shoe laces to make them easier to adjust.
0.jpg

I know some people out there don't like cheap looking mods on a 1000$+ headphone, well the he-6se is for you!

3F. I didn't like it. The bass impact was very lacking. Mids and highs are about the same as the XC. I still prefer hifimans overall. Better extension on both ends and also have better impact and articulation.

This is a point many newer members might be confused about. I think the bass extension is a tiny bit better on the he-6, and there a bit more quantity on the lcd3. These are not large differences. The big deal is Impact, being able to have a full force bass note just appear out of nothing and vanish like it wasn't there. In these regard the he-6 is strikingly better then anything I've ever heard probably surpassed only by utopia and e-stats. I was strongly considering vocal clear or zmf eikon when i was looking for my current he-6. From what i've read they're aiming for a similar flavor, I really wonder how close the impact comes.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #417 of 634
This is exactly the problem. These old style headbands can sort of hang from the top of your head. The weight of the headphone on your neck really is not an issue IMO, but it's unbearable all focused on the bony scalp and you find your self tilting your head funny to move around the sore spot.

I've got the perfect solution and it should work with lcd and hifiman. This is a plether pillow the previous owner included, works nice on its own but even better as a suspension strap. I used super glue and a spare pare of shoe laces to attach it at the bottom of the gimbals. Notice the head size adjusters are nearly at maximum and the large space between the strap and headband. This greatly improves the clamping force, the force per area is nearly uniform across the large pillow strap and the ear-pads, which have about the same sponginess. If i were to do it again i would harvest straps from and old backpack or something in place of shoe laces to make them easier to adjust.

I know some people out there don't like cheap looking mods on a 1000$+ headphone, well the he-6se is for you!

This is a point many newer members might be confused about. I think the bass extension is a tiny bit better on the he-6, and there a bit more quantity on the lcd3. These are not large differences. The big deal is Impact, being able to have a full force bass note just appear out of nothing and vanish like it wasn't there. In these regard the he-6 is strikingly better then anything I've ever heard probably surpassed only by utopia and e-stats. I was strongly considering vocal clear or zmf eikon when i was looking for my current he-6. From what i've read they're aiming for a similar flavor, I really wonder how close the impact comes.
Every electrostat I've tried like the Sonoma, sr009, Voce and sr-L700 lack the deepest bass registers though.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #418 of 634
Every electrostat I've tried like the Sonoma, sr009, Voce and sr-L700 lack the deepest bass registers though.

009 doesn't lack any bass, L700 neither. Is a matter of taste, if like the TH900 nothing wrong

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #419 of 634
009 doesn't lack any bass, L700 neither. Is a matter of taste, if like the TH900 nothing wrong
Not overall, just the deepest bass rumble that is felt more than heard.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #420 of 634
In comparison to Hifiman Planars, all electrostats lack bass no matter which amp. I am a Stax lover and I know the KG amps inside out. I wished Stax fans would stop claiming in every other (non electrostatic) thread that electrostats have superior or on par bass to bassy planars, this is so not the case. (I am not necessarily answering to this thread here but more in general)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back