HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 25, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #20,611 of 21,868
My new 3m long CustomCans (UK company website https://www.customcans.co.uk/ ) HE-6 XLR cable came this morning (didn't expect it to arrive until next week so a great surprise especially arriving on a Saturday for the weekend :) ) . I also ordered an adapter cable with this new cable so I can plug my HE-6's into my Cypher Labs portable amp.

Listening to Moby with this new cable and....oooo wow already a huge difference to the stock HiFiMan HE6 XLR cable i.e. more treble, separation, sound stage and a lovely clean deep bass. And it's not even burnt in yet !. Can't wait until it is fully burnt in.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #20,612 of 21,868
Details of my new HE6 cable and separate adapter cable (for my balanced Cypher Labs portable kit) from CustomCans ;

Information from CustomCans website;
"This is an audiophile grade, ultra-low capacitance cable for connection between the HiFiMan HE-300 / HE-400 / HE-500 / HE-560 / HE-4 / HE-5 / HE-6 and a balanced output, such as the Pono player or balanced amps. We offer most standard connections such as XLR, 2.5mm TRRS, 4.4mm TRRRS and many others - if you don't see what you need, Just let us know.

The cable is made using 84 strand litz copper, wrapped in coloured paracord of your choice, and hand braided here in the UK. "

My order was;

Ultra-low capacitance cable with balanced connection for HiFiMan headphones with screw on SMC connectors
Balanced Connection Type
4 pin XLR (Male/Gold Pins)
Cable Length
3 Meters
Colour 1
Black
Colour 2
Navy Blue​

Ultra-low capacitance adapter for balanced cable to balanced/unbalanced source
Colour 1
Black

Colour 2

Navy Blue

Length

15-20 cm

Termination for Balanced / Unbalanced Source End

2 x 3 pin XLR (Male)
Termination for Balanced Headphone Cable End
4 pin XLR (Female/Gold Pins)

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #20,614 of 21,868
Bonesy Jonesy

forget the "Hifiman adapter box" it's not needed in the chain
Hi hawkhead,
Thank you for the information. But I don't want to blow up my headphones with 140W on each channel passing through them !

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #20,616 of 21,868
You won't
More power has been run through them

I have been running them on a 100w per channel amp for years (since release)
Have you found a big difference in the sound with and without the Adapter Box ?

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #20,617 of 21,868
Have you found a big difference in the sound with and without the Adapter Box ?
Yes. Adapter box is only used for tube amps. Not needed for solid state. The adapter box put a blanket over the entire signature

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #20,620 of 21,868
Thank you hawkhead, Keithpgdrp, wuwhere and Happy Camper for your feedback on the "HiFiMan Adapter Box". Much appreciated.

I will now order a 4 pin XLR to banana speaker tappings (left & right channels per tapping - 4 wires total) adapter cable from CustomCans to connect direct to my Chord Choral Mezzo 140 amp and give it a whirl.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #20,622 of 21,868
Im guessing the HE6se will sound exactly like the HE6 and that its just trying to cash grab on the HE6 market at the moment, people still pay release price or more for mint condition HE6.
I payed 800usd for mine, with factory warranty an was offered around 1300 to sell it.
Looking forward to the first people who A/B's the HE6 and HE6se :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #20,623 of 21,868
Hi hawkhead,
Thank you for the information. But I don't want to blow up my headphones with 140W on each channel passing through them !
I ran my HE-6 from a 250wpc vintage amp................just start with the volume down to the minimum.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #20,625 of 21,868
The HE-6's power requirements are overblown. Rarely will you even pump 1W into it with a capable amp. That isn't to say you can get away with just a Schiit Magni 3 of course, headroom is always good since you don't want the amp struggling and potentially clipping.

I believe YBM Audio is still around and can build an overkill Beta22, which would be an excellent sonic matchup for the HE-6 and it actually is an integrated speaker amp as well. He has built no-compromise fully balanced Beta22s (so 4 amp boards) with up to four Sigma22 power supplies in a separate chassis. Talk about overkill.

Apart from that there is always the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. Too bad nobody sells premade Super Symmetry Dynahi amps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back