HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #20,641 of 21,868
With the new hifiman 6se coming. Is this worth waiting for, or would you buy the Ed x ?
If the HE6se sounds anything like the HE-6 and the Ed X v2 sounds anything like the v1, then I wouldn't think of the Ed X - unless price is the foremost deciding factor.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #20,644 of 21,868
Had a chance to audition the HE-6 recently and I'm impressed by the slam. No other planar had this much punch in my experience.

What was the system like? I was disappointed by HE-6 bass slam; it is nothing compared to Audeze's LCD lineup, ZMF planars, Abyss AB-1266, and if we exclude planars Stax SR-007 and Stax SR-009. I really expected a lot more out of its bass. I would say the reason I was never impressed by HiFiMan bass is because I first listened to them right next to the Audeze LCD-3F and Stax SR-009, and I owned both ZMFs and the Audeze LCD-4 and Stax SR-007 before owning an HE-6, so by the time the HE-6 came around to my collection I had already heard much better in bass.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #20,646 of 21,868
What was the system like? I was disappointed by HE-6 bass slam; it is nothing compared to Audeze's LCD lineup, ZMF planars, Abyss AB-1266, and if we exclude planars Stax SR-007 and Stax SR-009. I really expected a lot more out of its bass. I would say the reason I was never impressed by HiFiMan bass is because I first listened to them right next to the Audeze LCD-3F and Stax SR-009, and I owned both ZMFs and the Audeze LCD-4 and Stax SR-007 before owning an HE-6, so by the time the HE-6 came around to my collection I had already heard much better in bass.

I'm always puzzled by this as well. Having owned 2 HE-6's, I've never been impressed with the slam I hear people talking about.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #20,647 of 21,868

I think this depends on the amp. My Audio Research D70 tube speaker amp produces more bass than my other tube amp, a Copland CTA504, even though they are rated with the same power and uses 6550 power tubes. The D70 even has more bass than my Klout on the HE-6. That's Audio Research's forte even against Conrad Johnson.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #20,649 of 21,868
I’m positiv
I'm always puzzled by this as well. Having owned 2 HE-6's, I've never been impressed with the slam I hear people talking about.
Im positive this is because of amping. The HE6 has the some of the best bass of any headphone out there.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #20,650 of 21,868
I’m positiv

Im positive this is because of amping. The HE6 has the some of the best bass of any headphone out there.

Hmm... I've used it with the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, and some $150-200 150-200W RMS power amp I used to own (can't remember what it is by now but it is highly regarded and I think it actually wasn't class D). I have to admit it's kind of funny to me that you say that, since I always found it came nowhere close to ZMF Ori bass.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #20,651 of 21,868
Did you have speaker amps?

I've got two headphone amps that push around 10W into 50ohms. I just have a hard time believing that putting them on speaker amps are going to make them sound THAT much different.

I still have my 4-screw's. I've got an older Denon 2-channel amp that I could probably hook them up to.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #20,652 of 21,868
Hmm... I've used it with the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, and some $150-200 150-200W RMS power amp I used to own (can't remember what it is by now but it is highly regarded and I think it actually wasn't class D). I have to admit it's kind of funny to me that you say that, since I always found it came nowhere close to ZMF Ori bass.

Hey, I'm an audiophile just like the rest of you. I was here long before I worked at ZMF, and I only take out the garbage anyway. Unfortunately, when you have the MOT label, no one listens to you anymore. And there are rules against me sharing my opinions currently.

I wil say, because its a fact, that the Ori is easier to drive then the HE6, which may have played a part in your experience. Not Shilling here.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #20,653 of 21,868
If bass from your HE-6 is lacking in any way, I suggest it's caused by the pads and the leak between the pads and cups.

The stock velour pads (especially the old ones) are leaking terribly because they are attached by clicking on instead of sealed on with double sided tape and because they don't have a proper head to pad contact.

In short, if you get a perfect seal between pad and cup and use pads with memory foam and leather / protein leather, then I am convinced that your issues with the HE-6 bass performance is gone.

Pads that I would recommend are either ZMF Ori or Brainwavz HM5 leather / protein leather or similar. Make sure you seal 100% to the cup. BAM! Bass will be stunning.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #20,654 of 21,868
If bass from your HE-6 is lacking in any way, I suggest it's caused by the pads and the leak between the pads and cups.

The stock velour pads (especially the old ones) are leaking terribly because they are attached by clicking on instead of sealed on with double sided tape and because they don't have a proper head to pad contact.

In short, if you get a perfect seal between pad and cup and use pads with memory foam and leather / protein leather, then I am convinced that your issues with the HE-6 bass performance is gone.

Pads that I would recommend are either ZMF Ori or Brainwavz HM5 leather / protein leather or similar. Make sure you seal 100% to the cup. BAM! Bass will be stunning.

I did notice this. I did not get around to trying ZMF Ori pads but did try one of the other ZMF pads but the seal was imperfect, so the best results I got were with FocusPad-A mounted on the standard rings. Bass wasn't weak or anything, just not Audeze LCD or ZMF level.

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #20,655 of 21,868
I think this depends on the amp. My Audio Research D70 tube speaker amp produces more bass than my other tube amp, a Copland CTA504, even though they are rated with the same power and uses 6550 power tubes. The D70 even has more bass than my Klout on the HE-6. That's Audio Research's forte even against Conrad Johnson.
No doubt. With a Violectric amp. I prefer the hifiman over the audeze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back