HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #20,176 of 21,868
Here's a post about sound signatures with different pads on HE400i, so not HE-6 unfortunately, but might be usable for a relative comparison:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mis...r-brand-ear-pads.572327/page-43#post-13596835

I have also seen a head-fier commenting the below pad, but I can't find the post ATM.
Here's a quote from the site about the sound:
"For ETHER owners, the pads generally create a large soundstage, with a slightly darker midrange. Because the ear hole is so large, it's also possible to change the tone of the headphone by repositioning the position of the headphone relative to the ear. In general, we find that the ear pads produce a brighter sound when the headphone is moved toward the back of the head, while more forward positions darken the mids."

ETHER Electrostat Ear Pads
https://www.mrspeakers.com/ether-electrostat-ear-pads.html

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #20,177 of 21,868
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #20,178 of 21,868
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #20,179 of 21,868
155mW @ 300 Ohm... It doesn't say how much in lower impedance, but that would suggest that probably it doesn't output enough for the HE-6. Just going by the spec's it would be less than 1W in 50 Ohm, which is on the low side of the official minimum requirement (2W).
Thanks for that Lars. That stuff just escapes me.

Some of you may say that I am not doing the HE6 justice by using it with the portable/transportable ifi iDSD BL but it has allowed me the flexibility to listen to my HE6 in many locations and situations that it would not have been practical before. And on top of that, at least to me, it has now taken over as my favourite headphone for the time being. And this has gotten me to start thinking about making some mods to it. But I have never modded any of my HPs before and I am not one that is comfortable with the idea of doing any (in terms of time, materials and patience). I am not sure what I am after in terms of changes because I'm not sure what aspect of the sound I want to change. What are some of the easiest mods?

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #20,180 of 21,868

Don't use those pads. They suck out the mids in a BIG way and have tizzy treble.
9933021_l.png

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #20,181 of 21,868

Don't use those pads. They suck out the mids in a BIG way and have tizzy treble.
9933021_l.png

Hi cskippy,

Which aftermarket pads, that you have measured, for the HE-6, have sounded AND measured the very best so far?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #20,183 of 21,868
Hi cskippy,

Which aftermarket pads, that you have measured, for the HE-6, have sounded AND measured the very best so far?
Thanks.
The Dekoni DT Series Sheepskin pad and MrSpeakers Ether C angled pads are my two favorites. Dekoni is more forward in the mids so more present vocals and less highs. The Ether C pads are slightly more laid back with vocals but have a little bit of extra tizz in the treble. Both have good bass and imaging but the Dekoni will be slightly wider with the soundstage.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #20,184 of 21,868
Have you tried the Dekoni DT Series Fenestrated pads with the HE-6? I have the ZMF Ofi perforated pads and I would like to hear if there is a difference with the Dekoni Fenestrated.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #20,185 of 21,868
Thanks for that Lars. That stuff just escapes me.

Some of you may say that I am not doing the HE6 justice by using it with the portable/transportable ifi iDSD BL but it has allowed me the flexibility to listen to my HE6 in many locations and situations that it would not have been practical before. And on top of that, at least to me, it has now taken over as my favourite headphone for the time being. And this has gotten me to start thinking about making some mods to it. But I have never modded any of my HPs before and I am not one that is comfortable with the idea of doing any (in terms of time, materials and patience). I am not sure what I am after in terms of changes because I'm not sure what aspect of the sound I want to change. What are some of the easiest mods?
You are welcome. To tell the truth, I have driven HE-6 directly from the built-in balanced amp module in my HM901S (DAP). It still sounds good, but in terms of maximum SPL it is quite limited. However, after I got Rega Brio-R (which is an integrated stereo amp at the size of a headphone amp), I haven't used the HE-6 directly from the DAP.

Regarding mods to do, that aren't too difficult and easily reversible, I would for starters suggest sealing the pad to the cup with sticky double sided tape. This yields more (sub) bass. Next step would be trying other pads and removing everything on the back of the driver: outer grill, foam and fibres. In stock condition HE-6 looses quite a bit of bass, particularly sub bass, and has a bit too much treble. That's my (and many others) impression. At least most of (if not all) the mods that have been presented in this thread over the years have dealt with these two issues.

Regarding pads:
For best bass extension (as well as a bit extra amount mid bass) I will highly recommend a leather / protein leather pad made with memory foam. ZMF Ori as well as Brainwavz HM5 leather and pleathers are of this type. They also have the same (oval) inner opening size. However, the outer shape of the HM5 pads is oval too, which means you have to stretch them to fit the circular HE-6 cups (using the rings from the stock HiFiMan pads).The HM5 pads are much cheaper than the Ori pads, so if you are not sure if you want to "waste" the money, then I suggest going with the HM5 angled pleather first. If you do get the recommended pads and find that you get slightly reduced imaging and resolution, then you can add fabric to the inner walls of the pads. (If you start off with velour or micro suede pads, then this won't be an issue, but in my experience you won't get the same bass quality and quantity with those pads.)

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #20,186 of 21,868
You are welcome. To tell the truth, I have driven HE-6 directly from the built-in balanced amp module in my HM901S (DAP). It still sounds good, but in terms of maximum SPL it is quite limited. However, after I got Rega Brio-R (which is an integrated stereo amp at the size of a headphone amp), I haven't used the HE-6 directly from the DAP.

Regarding mods to do, that aren't too difficult and easily reversible, I would for starters suggest sealing the pad to the cup with sticky double sided tape. This yields more (sub) bass. Next step would be trying other pads and removing everything on the back of the driver: outer grill, foam and fibres. In stock condition HE-6 looses quite a bit of bass, particularly sub bass, and has a bit too much treble. That's my (and many others) impression. At least most of (if not all) the mods that have been presented in this thread over the years have dealt with these two issues.

Regarding pads:
For best bass extension (as well as a bit extra amount mid bass) I will highly recommend a leather / protein leather pad made with memory foam. ZMF Ori as well as Brainwavz HM5 leather and pleathers are of this type. They also have the same (oval) inner opening size. However, the outer shape of the HM5 pads is oval too, which means you have to stretch them to fit the circular HE-6 cups (using the rings from the stock HiFiMan pads).The HM5 pads are much cheaper than the Ori pads, so if you are not sure if you want to "waste" the money, then I suggest going with the HM5 angled pleather first. If you do get the recommended pads and find that you get slightly reduced imaging and resolution, then you can add fabric to the inner walls of the pads. (If you start off with velour or micro suede pads, then this won't be an issue, but in my experience you won't get the same bass quality and quantity with those pads.)

Good advice.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #20,187 of 21,868

Regarding pads:

+1 on grill mod you can search this thread for “bass lens”which is another reversible mod to tame the highs. If you want to get a bit deeper, the blu-tak mod is less reversible but very worthwhile for providing more, cleaner bass.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #20,188 of 21,868
Have you tried the Dekoni DT Series Fenestrated pads with the HE-6? I have the ZMF Ofi perforated pads and I would like to hear if there is a difference with the Dekoni Fenestrated.
I wanted to share my experience with the Dekoni Fenestrated pads, I installed them yesterday for sure they are very confi but doing some listening at first they looks ok but when I listen to Pablo Casal Cello, they didn't sound correct
something was wrong. I decided to add underneath the pads a felt donut (I use the felt that I had on hand, a stiff one). Looks like they have corrected the issue, the Cello sounded more as expected. I don't know if someone else have noticed something similar with others tracks

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #20,189 of 21,868
Has someone gathered all 9,000 or however many there are pads for an HE-6 pad shootout? This thread almost feels like group counseling for new parents, only we're new parents of HE-6. :dt880smile:

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #20,190 of 21,868
Has someone gathered all 9,000 or however many there are pads for an HE-6 pad shootout? This thread almost feels like group counseling for new parents, only we're new parents of HE-6. :dt880smile:
I have. I've been gathering pads and recently did a rather exhaustive pad rolling session with the HE-6. I will post my findings this weekend most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back