HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #20,146 of 21,867
I've been running ZMF Ori pads on my HE-6's. Favorite pads for them so far. Just got both the Suede versions. I'll probably try them on in the next few days.

Suede is more comfortable than Ori but I'm not 100% on the sound. Perforated has been the best to me.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #20,148 of 21,867
Suede/velour kills the mid-bass on all the headphones I've tried it on. Only exception is if it's only on the part that touches your head. If it's inside the cup, it really affects the sound.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #20,149 of 21,867
Suede/velour kills the mid-bass on all the headphones I've tried it on. Only exception is if it's only on the part that touches your head. If it's inside the cup, it really affects the sound.
I put the Eikon Suede's on my modded th900 and it actually helped tame the bass. Not nearly as V shaped now (although I already addressed the treble peak before swapping pads)

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #20,150 of 21,867
I've found that the HE-6 can't deal with the speaker taps for my Panache. It gives you a little buzzing. But it's fine on the 1/4 inch phones out, and HD800/600/k3003i all found it way too noisy. So now K1000 is on the speaker taps, HE-6 uses a cable I *loathe* on the 1/4 inch, and I really only use my Schiit for my Sennheisers.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #20,152 of 21,867
Using my HE-6 via speaker taps out of the First Watt J2 with Dave as Preamp/DAC with no issues at all.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #20,153 of 21,867
Has anyone out there compared the ZMF Ori perforated pads and the Ether C pads on their HE-6?
If so, what were the sonic differences, and which sounds superior overall?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #20,154 of 21,867
Has anyone out there compared the ZMF Ori perforated pads and the Ether C pads on their HE-6?
If so, what were the sonic differences, and which sounds superior overall?
Thanks.

I've tried about every pad out there that fit my HE-6, which is modded like yours. I just got the ZMF Ori pads last week, and I really like the comfort and the sound. The HE-6 usually feel best with a little thinner pad, and I feel a little more clamp with the Ori pads, but the leather is so soft and the foam compresses nicely, that after they are on for a while they are good for me! Not everybody hears the same, but some have tried the Eikon Perforated pads and liked them on their HE-6. Eikon pads may be a bit thinner but they are also bigger, so I went with the Ori.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #20,155 of 21,867
Thanks for the infomation.
Much appreciated.
I think I will order a pair of the Ori perforated pads soon and try them out :)

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #20,157 of 21,867
I've tried about every pad out there that fit my HE-6, which is modded like yours. I just got the ZMF Ori pads last week, and I really like the comfort and the sound. The HE-6 usually feel best with a little thinner pad, and I feel a little more clamp with the Ori pads, but the leather is so soft and the foam compresses nicely, that after they are on for a while they are good for me! Not everybody hears the same, but some have tried the Eikon Perforated pads and liked them on their HE-6. Eikon pads may be a bit thinner but they are also bigger, so I went with the Ori.

Auteur perforated is a little too bright for me with HE-6. Eikon brings the bass up a notch while bringing down the treble, a pretty perfect pairing.

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #20,159 of 21,867
I've been eyeing the perforated pads. That's to bad that they are not ideal for HE-6. I'll stay with my Ori pads.

There's 3 sets of Perforated.

Eikon/Auteur/Ori.

Zach's sending me a pair of Ori perforated this week I'll have them to play with. They'll probably be a much cleaner fit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back