HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #20,117 of 21,868
Sep 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #20,119 of 21,868
I think the reason the Dekoni pads work so well is that the ear opening is perfectly circular like the stock pads. The diaphragm is also circular so it makes sense to avoid possible irregular reflections due to an irregular ear opening. One additional mod I did do was add two rings of adhesive felt around the very outside edge of the metal surrounding the driver and then a slightly bigger ring that covered that one and covered the plastic where the tabs snap in. I made four slots for the tabs to line up and go in. This has helped immensely with any reflections added by the plastic.

I just received the Elite Velour Dekoni's from this Massdrop:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-earpads-for-m50x-and-beyerdynamic-dt

My initial listening impressions are that they retain the soundstage and bass of the sheepskin, without the need for the felt mod. They reduce the treble glare from reflections, but without really being too dark (sibilant tracks like Cowboy Junkies' Sweet Jane are still sibilant). But cleaner sound overall results in a feeling of better balanc and more perceived bass.

Anyone else tried these with HE-6?

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #20,122 of 21,868
I heard a little buzz using my panache speaker taps. I'll have to stick to the phones 1/4 inch jack from now on...

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #20,123 of 21,868
I heard a little buzz using my panache speaker taps. I'll have to stick to the phones 1/4 inch jack from now on...

Hi Bosie,

I'm only saying it's an option for maximum transparency and totally reasonable listening levels. I have the tour unit for the next 10 days if you want to try to meet in SF.

I have listened to HE-6 on Cavalli LC (like the sound of that amp), the Emotiva a100 and the Odyssey Stratos, so I think the 2 speaker amps were p,entry of good power. And, aside from the amp's individual tonality, the Hugo2 is more transparent and quite respectable, IMHO.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #20,124 of 21,868
I just received the Elite Velour Dekoni's from this Massdrop:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-earpads-for-m50x-and-beyerdynamic-dt

My initial listening impressions are that they retain the soundstage and bass of the sheepskin, without the need for the felt mod. They reduce the treble glare from reflections, but without really being too dark (sibilant tracks like Cowboy Junkies' Sweet Jane are still sibilant). But cleaner sound overall results in a feeling of better balanc and more perceived bass.

Anyone else tried these with HE-6?
Which pads are you comparing them to?

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #20,127 of 21,868
Generally speaking, it doesn't make sense to attenuate a signal only to then amplify it again. So this would point towards the lowest gain setting you can get away with.

Then again, you don't want to have an excessive input signal which may drive the last amplifying stage into clipping to reach a desired output signal. This would point towards a higher gain setting.

So, imo, if you can get away with the lower gain setting, use it.

Is there any apparent sonic difference to your ears?

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #20,128 of 21,868
In case anybody would be interested in an unmodded Hifiman HE-6 in a very good condition (especially in Europe but can post pretty much everywhere), feel free to get in touch with me via PM - I am sure we can figure it out! :)

[I have a good feedback here but cannot post in Trade forum yet - need to work on this.]

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #20,130 of 21,868
Hi guys!

I got my HE-6 a few months back but never got around to posting in here.
I guess it's pretty unique (4 screw, black yokes).

Anyway, onto the good stuff...
I've been using Ori pads on the HE-6 since I got it, and just today received new pads from Zach.

Suede.
They are faaaaar more comfortable than stock velours (I have the originals with plastic rings).
They don't brighten the sound like stock Velours do. I'm still trying to figure out the bass aspect of them, seems to have less subbass than Ori which will turn some people off but they are so ridiculously comfortable and don't kill you with treble.

IMG_20171020_210823.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back