HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #20,206 of 21,868
I feel like a dark horse here. I'm still using the focus-a pads. I also apparently got a very soft verison. As my friend had ordered both the focus and focus-a pads, neither of which are as comfy as mine.

I have tried the vegan pads, but haven't actually tried tape mounting them. I also have the dekoni elite sheepskin. I'm not huge into trying to sit and concentrate on the most micro differences. That being said, if I can't tell a difference within a couple of minutes of some reference songs, I don't consider it a worthwhile difference. So I went back to the focus-a pads because I like how comfortable they are.

Now that I have my Loki-mini, I feel no urge to pursue pad swapping. I am able to tame the treble a bit and get the extra bass I desired. I suggest to any who feel overwhelmed in the sea of which alternate pad to use on the HE-6, like I was myself, to try out the Loki-mini. For $150, you have a much wider array of options for tuning. Just going through three pairs of pads could cost you as much if not more than a Loki-mini. And if you go the pad route, it's not very practical to use them to tune your other gear, as is the Loki-mini.

I do like the idea of the Loki-mini, but I think Schiit audio should really think of making a version that is compatible with balanced interconnects. So far, by best headphone amps and Dacs perform best when wired in balanced mode. From that perspective, to go single-ended in order to use the Loki-mini feels a bit like cutting off my nose to spite my face,... or something like that... I am not saying it is not possible... It just doesn't seem ideal, in my case.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #20,207 of 21,868
I do like the idea of the Loki-mini, but I think Schiit audio should really think of making a version that is compatible with balanced interconnects. So far, by best headphone amps and Dacs perform best when wired in balanced mode. From that perspective, to go single-ended in order to use the Loki-mini feels a bit like cutting off my nose to spite my face,... or something like that... I am not saying it is not possible... It just doesn't seem ideal, in my case.

Good point. The Loki-mini is a test run for them. They will flesh it out into a full product line if there is enough demand. It seems to be selling well. From what I've seen, a balanced version has been the most requested feature for a new one (even more so than more equalization bands).

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #20,208 of 21,868
New amp that powers the HE-6 with authority: http://1.34.67.91/keces/S3.html

If you really want to go all out, you could get the matching power amp and drive them from that... (does sound a bit better)

But from the S3 alone, the HE-6 is so dynamic and punchy :D so so good

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #20,209 of 21,868
Now this is the best I have ever heard the HE-6, direct from speaker taps.

DSC_9227.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #20,210 of 21,868
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #20,211 of 21,868
Dec 2, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #20,213 of 21,868
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #20,215 of 21,868
That was a short honeymoon.
Hahaha yeah, I guess. It's not that I don't like them as I say in my FS post, they are in my top 3 for headphones. I'm just a one headphone kind of guy. 99% of my desktop listening time is with one headphone and that was the Code Sex. I got a review Auteur and they just fit my personal tastes even more. I think I like the presentation of dynamic drivers over planars. It's a journey, and each of ours is different.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #20,216 of 21,868
"I like the presentation of dynamic drivers over planars".

Can you be more precise ? You are selling it after writting a panegyric about yours with the special mods, just one month after... not because you need money but just discover you prefer the dynamic drivers over the planars ? Sounds weird. Really. Sorry.

so what is your new fav ? That is interesting...

For me nothing can beat the HE-6 (fully bluetack, quarter foam and outed foad removed, modded.).

I discovered it really few times ago only and found it even as good or superior to the R10 bass heavy, the LCD 4, or the Utopia to my ears

After years of listening to the R10, listening to the very best like the qualia 010, the orpheus, utopia SR 009.

I put the HE-6 on the Top list of legendary HP, with unparralled holographic presentation, incredible sound texture. unique impact, truly awsome resolution, etc.

So, I ask it again... what is your fav now ?

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #20,217 of 21,868
"I like the presentation of dynamic drivers over planars".

Can you be more precise ? You are selling it after writting a panegyric about yours with the special mods, just one month after... not because you need money but just discover you prefer the dynamic drivers over the planars ? Sounds weird. Really. Sorry.

so what is your new fav ? That is interesting...

For me nothing can beat the HE-6 (fully bluetack, quarter foam and outed foad removed, modded.).

I discovered it really few times ago only and found it even as good or superior to the R10 bass heavy, the LCD 4, or the Utopia to my ears

After years of listening to the R10, listening to the very best like the qualia 010, the orpheus, utopia SR 009.

I put the HE-6 on the Top list of legendary HP, with unparralled holographic presentation, incredible sound texture. unique impact, truly awsome resolution, etc.

So, I ask it again... what is your fav now ?

I believe he said it was the ZMF Auteur (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/the-auteur/). I wouldn’t mind hearing a compare/contrast with the HE-6. I have the original ZMF Vibro (closed back) and it’s pretty warm, but a relaxing listen.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #20,218 of 21,868
Although, a short listen, what I disliked about the Auteur is the resonance heard due to the cups. I now realize why real open headphones are the way they are. Partially closed to closed are not easy to get right. Mids incoherency and bass-bleeds are what I tend to experience with partially closed to fully closed cups.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #20,219 of 21,868
This amp has a Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (+0dB/-0.09dB).

It doesn't match with the amazing 8hz - 65khz HE-6...

Do you listen to whalesong and bat whistles?

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #20,220 of 21,868
haha I was waiting for this one.

Man, if you knew more about humans ears and the sounds, you wouldn't say that because we are not just hearing the sound but we feel it. The ears are made of flesh and bones and they actually feel the vibrations we cannot hear.

I quote Tim De Paravicini creator of the amazing E.A.R Yoshino (about the human frequency range 20hz to 20khz known as a standard in HIFI) :

"First of all, the frequency response should extend from 3 Hz to 50 kHz, because we experience those frequency limits. We are able to detect audio up to 50 kHz. We don't hear it, but we experience it in other ways. I can give you tinnitus very quickly if I run an ultrasonic cleaner at 45 kHz. You are aware that it's on, and your ears ring when it's shut off. On the low end, we detect mechanical vibrations down to 3 Hz. When a marching band walks past you, you feel the drums in your stomach and bones. And that's all part of the sound."

Cheers man !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back