HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 3, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #20,221 of 21,868
I won't bother debating over soma/psycho/etc-acoustics. I've been an HE-6 nutjob longer than most on this forum.

But the recording equipment itself doesn't actually capture those frequencies much below 20Hz or above 20kHz, both at the mechanical and electrical level, nevermind all the digital post-processing that further filters it out.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #20,223 of 21,868
"I like the presentation of dynamic drivers over planars".

Can you be more precise ? You are selling it after writting a panegyric about yours with the special mods, just one month after... not because you need money but just discover you prefer the dynamic drivers over the planars ? Sounds weird. Really. Sorry.

so what is your new fav ? That is interesting...

For me nothing can beat the HE-6 (fully bluetack, quarter foam and outed foad removed, modded.).

I discovered it really few times ago only and found it even as good or superior to the R10 bass heavy, the LCD 4, or the Utopia to my ears

After years of listening to the R10, listening to the very best like the qualia 010, the orpheus, utopia SR 009.

I put the HE-6 on the Top list of legendary HP, with unparralled holographic presentation, incredible sound texture. unique impact, truly awsome resolution, etc.

So, I ask it again... what is your fav now ?
I'll go into more detail in my Auteur review but the big difference between most planars and dynamics is that planars are flat from 20Hz to 1kHz. One might think this is a good thing as flat is supposed to be accurate, but due to the ways we hear, flat on a headphone is not the same as flat on a speaker. Therefore I like a slight downward sloping response much like the B and K curve.
rrt8yd.jpg

I find on my coupler that a response like this is closer to a neutral flat speaker than a flat line.

It's taken me a number of years and plenty of headphones to fine tune my personal preferences. Each time you hear a new headphone that does something better, you want that incorporated into your existing headphone. The Auteur ticks the most boxes for me personally. It's tuning is more to my taste, simple as that. I'm not saying you're wrong liking the HE-6, or that my Code Sex is now crap, it's not. I rank them in the Top 3 of headphones I've heard for my preferences.

Sound stage is another issue that I will talk about in my review.

Happy listening!

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #20,224 of 21,868
True. Most of the studio gears cannot do it. some of them can but rarely used. Anyway, I noticed that when the amp frequency matched the headphones frequency, it is better usually... But is it just my xp... :)

I would say that the correlation is not causation. It may simply be that the amps that you've used that show the fancy numbers just have good design principles behind them, but the numbers themselves do not mean good sound.

As I said earlier, I've been an HE-6 nutjob longer than most and I've run the gamut from tiny class D to stupid monoblocks to literal kilowatt amps.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #20,225 of 21,868
It's taken me a number of years and plenty of headphones to fine tune my personal preferences. Each time you hear a new headphone that does something better, you want that incorporated into your existing headphone. The Auteur ticks the most boxes for me personally. It's tuning is more to my taste, simple as that. I'm not saying you're wrong liking the HE-6, or that my Code Sex is now crap, it's not. I rank them in the Top 3 of headphones I've heard for my preferences.

Enter the Void (STAX)

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #20,226 of 21,868
"I like the presentation of dynamic drivers over planars".

Can you be more precise ? You are selling it after writting a panegyric about yours with the special mods, just one month after... not because you need money but just discover you prefer the dynamic drivers over the planars ? Sounds weird. Really. Sorry.

so what is your new fav ? That is interesting...

For me nothing can beat the HE-6 (fully bluetack, quarter foam and outed foad removed, modded.).

I discovered it really few times ago only and found it even as good or superior to the R10 bass heavy, the LCD 4, or the Utopia to my ears

After years of listening to the R10, listening to the very best like the qualia 010, the orpheus, utopia SR 009.

I put the HE-6 on the Top list of legendary HP, with unparralled holographic presentation, incredible sound texture. unique impact, truly awsome resolution, etc.

So, I ask it again... what is your fav now ?

You'd be in for a treat once you experience the LFF Code-X in all their glory :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #20,227 of 21,868
You'd be in for a treat once you experience the LFF Code-X in all their glory :)

I personally don't care how good LFF's mods sound, I'm not in the market of paying basically a second headphone in price to have someone take it apart and screw with the magnets.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #20,228 of 21,868
I personally don't care how good LFF's mods sound, I'm not in the market of paying basically a second headphone in price to have someone take it apart and screw with the magnets.

Essentially everyone is "screwing" with the magnets or drivers one way or the other - Via material, dampening, cups, design etc - In the end it's the sound that matters not the fact that you cant get over the price of someone modding them. All of ZMF before his current line, Mr.Speakers etc were mods of standard drivers asking for multiples in price. If you don't care about how good they sound, these aren't for you. They are for people who care about good sound. Also don't ignore the fact that they're still cheaper and better sounding that MANY other higher end headphones.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #20,229 of 21,868
Essentially everyone is "screwing" with the magnets or drivers one way or the other - Via material, dampening, cups, design etc - In the end it's the sound that matters not the fact that you cant get over the price of someone modding them. All of ZMF before his current line, Mr.Speakers etc were mods of standard drivers asking for multiples in price. If you don't care about how good they sound, these aren't for you. They are for people who care about good sound. Also don't ignore the fact that they're still cheaper and better sounding that MANY other higher end headphones.

But LFF disassembles the drivers, I want no part of that one, paying $800+ for a headphone and then another $800 for a mod is ridiculous in my opinion.

I feel a bit differently about modding a pair of T50RP's which are $150 than an HE-6 which you can't buy anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #20,230 of 21,868
Well, I'm expecting Code-X and Code Sex soon. If you'll have no part, others will!

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #20,231 of 21,868
I'm thinking of getting a First Watt to power my HE-6 and Tekton Lore speakers. Which do you think is best for female vocal? The J2 or F7?

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #20,232 of 21,868
fwiw don't think I have heard my HE-6 sound more engaging than with the little Pass ACA which is only 6W the cravat is if using a power amp the results can vary considerably depending on preamp used.

Just picked up the parts to build the MoFo which was posted on the Pass boards on the diyaudio forum 20W class A low part count (five resistors a trim pot a couple of caps and an inductor and thats it).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/313649-build-mofo.html

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #20,233 of 21,868
fwiw don't think I have heard my HE-6 sound more engaging than with the little Pass ACA which is only 6W the cravat is if using a power amp the results can vary considerably depending on preamp used.

Just picked up the parts to build the MoFo which was posted on the Pass boards on the diyaudio forum 20W class A low part count (five resistors a trim pot a couple of caps and an inductor and thats it).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/313649-build-mofo.html

Looks awesome. Please let us know how it sounds when you build it!

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #20,234 of 21,868
I'm about due for an he6 amp and dac upgrade. Narrowed it down to Bryston or some form of Pass amplifier, Threshold, Nacamichi or First Watt. I'm curious what everyone is using for a preamp? I see post of passive preamps robbing the life and dynamics. Any preamp suggestions or am I better off with a dac/pre combo like gustard x20 or something from audio gd?

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #20,235 of 21,868
I'm about due for an he6 amp and dac upgrade. Narrowed it down to Bryston or some form of Pass amplifier, Threshold, Nacamichi or First Watt. I'm curious what everyone is using for a preamp? I see post of passive preamps robbing the life and dynamics. Any preamp suggestions or am I better off with a dac/pre combo like gustard x20 or something from audio gd?
I just ordered a First Watt J2 and a Schiit Freya. I'll let you know how they match up. The J2 seems to be the flavor of the month for the HE-6. The reason I went the Freya route is the flexibility. You can use 2 different solid state modes and a tube gain mode. Interesting proposition. I don't know if I'm sold on the all-in-one like the Freya though. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back