HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 24, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #19,052 of 21,868
So i listened to a frequency sweep in Mono. I get buzzing in my left driver from reproducing those frequencies, but then i switch cables left to right, to right to left, then the buzzing ended up switching to the right side (lol wut). Maybe its a compression issue? Because i listened to this on youtube?

I switch to the listening to Senjougahara-Senpai from Bakemonogatari, but thats a FLAC compressed to MP3. Same Schiit! Left driver buzz at high frequencies, switch cable sides, buzzing on right side

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #19,053 of 21,868
So i listened to a frequency sweep in Mono. I get buzzing in my left driver from reproducing those frequencies, but then i switch cables left to right, to right to left, then the buzzing ended up switching to the right side (lol wut). Maybe its a compression issue? Because i listened to this on youtube?

I switch to the listening to Senjougahara-Senpai from Bakemonogatari, but thats a FLAC compressed to MP3. Same Schiit! Left driver buzz at high frequencies, switch cable sides, buzzing on right side

Could be your amp...or anything else in the chain.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #19,054 of 21,868
Could be your amp...or anything else in the chain.

I run an SMSL SA98e; I've had problems in the highs where they can be too much on the occassion. Particularly Lindsey Stirling was bloody painful to listen to. I have a Bryston 2B-LP i could test, but I cant afford to purchase Balanced connections for it right now. Local Music Store wants $45 for 3 pin connection that only sells in singles, and i need 2

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #19,055 of 21,868
I run an SMSL SA98e; I've had problems in the highs where they can be too much on the occassion. Particularly Lindsey Stirling was bloody painful to listen to. I have a Bryston 2B-LP i could test, but I cant afford to purchase Balanced connections for it right now. Local Music Store wants $45 for 3 pin connection that only sells in singles, and i need 2

Doubt its the cable either cause i run an OFC Copper Custom Paracord Cable, which is as good as a cable should ever get, and a 30 Strand YFS Binding Post adapter that Jozuur sold me. There are kinks that have developed on where the heat shrinks and cables meet at the connectors, but if there was a connection issues, it would be super obvious

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #19,057 of 21,868
Wait, why can't you use the same cable on your SMSL with the Bryston?

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #19,058 of 21,868
Wait, why can't you use the same cable on your SMSL with the Bryston?

Because the SMSL uses RCAs while the Bryston 2B LP is a fully balanced amplifier that uses 3 pin XLR. I tried to use a 3.5mm to XLR going from my Micca Origen+, then the same cable through a RCA to 3.5 fem adapter on my XDA2. Because the fully balanced amp is picky about its connections, the single ended stereo connection (theoretically) doesnt provide enough contacts to get a good signal through the amp. I listened through those connections, and all i got were backing echoes, no vocals, sometimes guitar sounds, all in mono

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #19,059 of 21,868
Sounds like you got the wrong adapter cable or there's a bad connection somewhere. Only hearing backing echoes is almost always a broken ground connection, or in the case of an XLR means the wiring got messed up with pin2=left and pin3=right

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #19,060 of 21,868

http://www.infinitecables.com/audio-and-pro-audio-cables/xlr-cables/xlr-to-rca-cables/xlr-male-to-rca-male-cables/3ft-premium-phantom-cables-xlr-male-to-rca-male-unbalanced-audio-cable-ft4/

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #19,061 of 21,868
Sounds like you got the wrong adapter cable or there's a bad connection somewhere. Only hearing backing echoes is almost always a broken ground connection, or in the case of an XLR means the wiring got messed up with pin2=left and pin3=right

The guy i bought it from said it was the cable i was using. Because it's a single ended stereo breaking into2 balanced connections into a fully balanced amplifier doesnt send signal properly. He tested it before he sold it to me, and everything was in working order.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #19,062 of 21,868
Jul 25, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #19,064 of 21,868
  Hey guys!
Can anybody help me about best earpads for he6? There are Hifiman's Focus earpads which it seems that they aren't so durable. There are many Brainwavz options which I don't know how they alter sound on He6.

HIFIMAN FocusPad
https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-FocusPad-Headphone-replacement-Earpads-leather/dp/B00VV2ZUTW

Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00VV2ZUTW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=699QM9TQEVHBGX1Y5YVT

Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41haME4X2jL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=Y88HFX8GVR1HSWP4192E

Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00OLKV5TK/ref=pd_sbs_23_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=31wn5jPAXZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=Y88HFX8GVR1HSWP4192E

Audeze vegan pads were by the best on my H6, for me.  I just ordered some for my 400i. . ..     
My STAX leather pads will be in the FS section as soon as the Audezes arrive (for cheap) 

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #19,065 of 21,868
  Hey guys!
Can anybody help me about best earpads for he6?

On page 1248 I explained how "no" pads sounded best to my ears and illustrated some cushioning between ear skin and the metal grates of the HE-6 inner speaker.  Since that time I've done more alterations and here are some illustrations.  It doesn't win any beauty contests, but it sure achieves top sound quality awards across the board in my book.

Instead of tape you could use something softer. Just make sure you sew the partial pad pieces between the clips that hold the plastic ring on to the headphone. If the front edge of the headphone rubs against your cheek or the metal touches your ears you could add a smaller piece of foam to the bottom end of the ring to create more distance between your skin and the metal.  Works fabulously for me! YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back