HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #19,067 of 21,868
On page 1248 I explained how "no" pads sounded best to my ears and illustrated some cushioning between ear skin and the metal grates of the HE-6 inner speaker.  Since that time I've done more alterations and here are some illustrations.  It doesn't win any beauty contests, but it sure achieves top sound quality awards across the board in my book.

Instead of tape you could use something softer. Just make sure you sew the partial pad pieces between the clips that hold the plastic ring on to the headphone. If the front edge of the headphone rubs against your cheek or the metal touches your ears you could add a smaller piece of foam to the bottom end of the ring to create more distance between your skin and the metal.  Works fabulously for me! YMMV.

That looks uncomfortable and dangerous to the life of the drivers but okay

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #19,074 of 21,868
  Will there be a second production run of the HE-6?

As Benny-x said, lots of new old stock. I bought one last winter from a seller on Amazon for $980 shipped! Current new price is $1299, though.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #19,077 of 21,868
Got mine for $575 with Alpha pads. It was the Danish dealers demo model after he closed his business

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #19,078 of 21,868
I just picked up a new pair for my collection. What's everyone's thoughts on the variety of ear pads HiFiMan offers? My HE-6 came with velour and leather pads, but there are FocusPad, FocusPad-A and VelPad. 

Right out of the box, I like the sound quality of leather pads more than velour. What's everyone using?

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #19,079 of 21,868
I just picked up a new pair for my collection. What's everyone's thoughts on the variety of ear pads HiFiMan offers? My HE-6 came with velour and leather pads, but there are FocusPad, FocusPad-A and VelPad. 

Right out of the box, I like the sound quality of leather pads more than velour. What's everyone using?

I prefer the focus a pads myself. The regular ones seemed a tad brighter to me and, in my opinion the HE-6 has enough treble as it is. Both are much comfier than the stock pleather and velour. Never tried the velpads on the HE-6 but they were really comfy on my HE-300. Basically, unless you prefer the sound of the stock pads, almost anything would be a better alternative.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #19,080 of 21,868
Dear HE-6 owners,

I am representing Cayin Audio, we are looking for reviewers for our desktop HeadFi stack iDAC-6 and iHA-6, and we would like to invite you to check this out

[US TOUR] Cayin iDAC-6 (Dual AK4490 DAC) and iHA-6 (Full Balanced Headphone amp) - Reviewers Wanted

The iDAC-6 and iHA-6 have received a rave reviewed by InnerFidelity recently and I would like to quote a small paragraph as introduction of our mini desktop stack to HE-6 community:
The balanced output, however, is quite capable with any headphone you throw at it. And I do mean ANY headphone, including the dreaded HiFiMAN HE-6. Unless you're one of those people who insist on using a speaker amp with it, you won't find much more power for the HE-6 than what the little Cayin has on tap. It's actually kind of funny to see big amps like the Luxman P-1u and the Woo Audio WA22 which can't drive the HE-6 well at all, and then along comes the compact iHA-6 and outdoes them by a huge margin.

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cayin-idac-6-and-iha-6-dynamic-duo-page-3#XJfSBuQpr50qixq2.99

We are thankful to Mr John Grandberg for his supportive comment, we sincerely want to introduce this "inexpensive" DAC+Amp combo to fellow HE-6 users. Sign up the tour now and we are looking forward to welcome in the party. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back