HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #19,021 of 21,868
I don't know who measured that it takes 30W (in 8 Ohm) to reach 90dB, but I don't think that is anywhere near the reality.
InnerFidelity has measured that HE-6 needs just short of 20 milli-Watts to reach 90dB.
It might not sound as much, but if you compare it to a "normal" headphone at 107dB sensitivity, HE-6 is 1000x (yes, that's a thousand times) more inefficient.

Maybe it was milli-Watts. I dunno. But that's way too much

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #19,022 of 21,868
Really enjoying grill-less so far; opens up the can while also having the same superb extension (removing insulation + keeping the grill on lost some sub bass imo)

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #19,023 of 21,868
Really enjoying grill-less so far; opens up the can while also having the same superb extension (removing insulation + keeping the grill on lost some sub bass imo)

You get that "out of your head" or live sound yet?

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #19,024 of 21,868
You get that "out of your head" or live sound yet?

It's getting there! I feel like pads would help. The tape I got with my vegans is horrendous; it's not the 3M they show in the pictures. I've spent like an hour trying and I'm not convinced it's double sided... Is there another adhesive I could use?

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #19,025 of 21,868
  It's getting there! I feel like pads would help. The tape I got with my vegans is horrendous; it's not the 3M they show in the pictures. I've spent like an hour trying and I'm not convinced it's double sided... Is there another adhesive I could use?

Glue dots have popped up in this thread as a suitable alternative. Apparently they have a couple different levels of stickiness, so if you go with the lesser version you won't have to do the lint trick if you want to remove the pads safely.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #19,026 of 21,868

I've used the yellow packaging 3M tape that covers in a roll at Target and office supply stores. It's a lot of work to cut but good quality.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #19,027 of 21,868

You need a sharp blade/cutter to strip the covering off the double sided tape. It's extremely thin and it's difficult to probe into the tape even with a blade, but it's definitely double sided and works pretty well.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #19,028 of 21,868

You need a sharp blade/cutter to strip the covering off the double sided tape. It's extremely thin and it's difficult to probe into the tape even with a blade, but it's definitely double sided and works pretty well.

I'll second this.  I used a razer blade and that helped get both paper sides off.  You don't HAVE to cut the ring either.  Mine has been on and off more times than I can count and there isn't any dust or lint, etc. on the part that sticks out.  I would rather have a little wiggle room when reattaching them.  

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #19,032 of 21,868
So I ordered some of the aluminum trim rings to 1. keep my pads from rotating around in the cups and having to adjust them every time I wear the headphones, and 2. because I heard it can help get a better seal.

Well, after removing the plastic one on the right side my screws no longer get any grip. The housing's threading is completely stripped. I am very upset about this as when I had my HE-300, which is a fraction of the cost of the HE-6, I took the plastic trim on and off several times and never stripped out anything. I sent them an email about it.

Also, the aluminum trim rings aren't as thick as the plastic ones and end up sitting below the outer housing. So I'm not sure if that would really improve the seal as then there would be a gap between the trim and the plastic rings on the outer side.

Hold the **** on. The trim is actually supposed to fit? Not sure if i was doomg it wrong, but my ring didnt line with the screws properly

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #19,033 of 21,868
Hold the **** on. The trim is actually supposed to fit? Not sure if i was doomg it wrong, but my ring didnt line with the screws properly

When I put the aluminum rings on my H6, only 4 of the six screw holes lined up.  But, it was enough.  

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #19,035 of 21,868

No, and my HE-6 is gone on to a new owner so I can`t take any pics for you.  I remember when I was doing the change over, there was some discussion here and we realized that there is some variation in the screw-hole patterns among HE-6s, with some matching all 6 holes, some matching 4 and some matching none (!).    

I also cut felt rings to place under the aluminum rings, so they`s be flush with the edge of the cups (because the original plastic rings were thicker than the al versions....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back