HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #19,006 of 21,868
  Also a general rule of thumb when shopping for a speaker amp you haven't heard or can't hear until you buy it - the power should double when the impedance is halved. It won't tell you the signature, but it's a sign of quality.

It is indeed a sign of very good power supply. However, it's a much better measure when it comes to speakers that require similar power that the amp provides. The non-doubling of power does not degrade the quality of the amp for the HE-6 all that much, where the spikes and peaks don't even reach that high. Instead of going by thumb rule, it's easier to find reviews of the amp and determine it's sound signature and quality as most decent reviews are done on neutral speakers. Generally amps which double the power are pretty expensive, and what's being discussed is to find the quality of amps which aren't determined high end already (Pass, Krell etc). Good rule of thumb nonetheless yes.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #19,007 of 21,868
I think the most important subjective factors when looking for a (speaker) amp for HE-6 is transparency and a tight (sub) bass performance. Signatures and preferences will wary from person to person of course, but these two are IMO essential. Enough power will wary too, since we listen at different SPL's and some music is much more dynamic than other genres.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #19,010 of 21,868
  I got the vegans today, and it seems the adhesive rings are a tad big? They would hang off a bit if I put them on

You can cut them in half, cut some portion of it, enough for them to be small enough to stick to the inside edges of the pads. The inside edge doesn't need to be 100% covered for the pads to stick. Stick some lint to it as well by sticking them to a cloth a few times before you stick them to the pads, so they're easier to remove. They tear the pads sometimes if stuck directly.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #19,011 of 21,868
What would i be gaining from moving from an SMSL SA-98e to a Bryston 2b LP Power amp, for my HE6s.... Realistically.

If you're looking for concrete, I can't give you that. But I can speak in superlative terms... it's like going from Robin to Nightwing, or Goomba to Koopa, or from Ken to Ryu, or from Gohan to Piccolo, or Bach to Rachmaninoff, etc.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #19,013 of 21,868

If you're looking for concrete, I can't give you that. But I can speak in superlative terms... it's like going from Robin to Nightwing, or Goomba to Koopa, or from Ken to Ryu, or from Gohan to Piccolo, or Bach to Rachmaninoff, etc.

Isn't Gohan still super bad ass? Piccolo was the real deal when Gohan was a kid, but after he grew up i don't think there was much contest. I mean like, prime vs. prime, Gohan would win. No?

The rest, yeah, true. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #19,014 of 21,868
Isn't Gohan still super bad ass? Piccolo was the real deal when Gohan was a kid, but after he grew up i don't think there was much contest. I mean like, prime vs. prime, Gohan would win. No?

The rest, yeah, true. 

How bout Ruby Rose & Ruby Rose. One is a cute girl, the other is a cute girl with retractable Scythe that doubles as a 50cal sniper rifle, and has super powers.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #19,016 of 21,868
Hi guys..

Wanna ask a Questions,?

Would it be an upgrade too if u have the he 500 and He 1000?

Thanks,
Jonathan

To what, the HE6s? Depending what you are into, the HE6 might qualify as an upgrade, just note that as per old stock that a pad change might be necessary. Speaker amplifier like power is required, just remember that Hifiman doesnt recommend going over a 70watt load @ 8ohms to prevent the headphones from exploding. HE1000s are nice, but too bloody expensive for their worth, and probably wont scale as much as an HE6, since the HE6 is infinitely harder to drive.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #19,017 of 21,868
  Man, I only got one of those references, Armaegis. I really need to crawl out my cave more often.

references in order: comics, video game, video game, Japanese animation, classical music
rolleyes.gif

The rest, yeah, true. 

Um... I only ever saw up to whatever the North American episodes of DBZ were. I know here's a bajillion more that came afterwards though.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #19,018 of 21,868
To what, the HE6s? Depending what you are into, the HE6 might qualify as an upgrade, just note that as per old stock that a pad change might be necessary. Speaker amplifier like power is required, just remember that Hifiman doesnt recommend going over a 70watt load @ 8ohms to prevent the headphones from exploding. HE1000s are nice, but too bloody expensive for their worth, and probably wont scale as much as an HE6, since the HE6 is infinitely harder to drive.

Infinitely harder? The extent to which they are harder to drive is limitless in extent or size? Yeah you need a speaker amp, but 70watts is not infinitely more than 1, 5, or 8 watts.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #19,019 of 21,868
Infinitely harder? The extent to which they are harder to drive is limitless in extent or size? Yeah you need a speaker amp, but 70watts is not infinitely more than 1, 5, or 8 watts.

Dont take a figure of speach so literal. The point is, is that Hifiman recommends 5wpc into 50ohms for these to sound optimal, which is the equivalent of an 50-60w speaker amplifier, and as someone measured, takes 30 of those watts to make it to 90dbl. That's insane!

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #19,020 of 21,868
I don't know who measured that it takes 30W (in 8 Ohm) to reach 90dB, but I don't think that is anywhere near the reality.
InnerFidelity has measured that HE-6 needs just short of 20 milli-Watts to reach 90dB.
It might not sound as much, but if you compare it to a "normal" headphone at 107dB sensitivity, HE-6 is 1000x (yes, that's a thousand times) more inefficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back