HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 7, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #18,991 of 21,868
Since the Bryston 2B has a left/right gain, what should you set that too in order to control the volume with your pre-amp?  Is it just finding a balance of usable range on your pre-amp or are there other benefits?

Most power amps I see do not have a gain adjustment so I'm curious what the recommendation/optimal adjustment is when your power amp has gain controls?
adjust the power amp gain, so the optimal listening level on your preamp is when the knob hits noon. Thats what i do anyways

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #18,993 of 21,868
Does anyone have experience in the relative power requirements of he6 and k1000, i.e., which requires more and by a factor of what?

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #18,994 of 21,868
Any idea how a pair of marantz MA-700 monoblocks might fare with the almighty He-6?  Power output is 200 watts into 8 ohms, but as everyone knows, that does not tell the entire story...  My point is that I have the opportunity to grab a pair of these for an unbeatable price, and was wondering whether they might gel with the He-6, which is the only reason why these monoblocks might interest me.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #18,995 of 21,868
Any idea how a pair of marantz MA-700 monoblocks might fair with the almighty He-6?  Power output is 200 watts into 8 ohms, but as everyone knows, that does not tell the entire story...  My point is that I have the opportunity to grab a pair of these for an unbeatable price, and was wondering whether they might gel with the He-6, which is the only reason why those monoblocks might interest me.

Sure... Just don't blow up your headphones

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #18,996 of 21,868
Any idea how a pair of marantz MA-700 monoblocks might fair with the almighty He-6?  Power output is 200 watts into 8 ohms, but as everyone knows, that does not tell the entire story...  My point is that I have the opportunity to grab a pair of these for an unbeatable price, and was wondering whether they might gel with the He-6, which is the only reason why those monoblocks might interest me.

Has more than enough power- same as my Hegel H20 which I love, but is seldom mentioned around these parts. A preamp with small steps especially at low volumes will be critical here. I use the matching Hegel P20 preamp, which is okay, but I have to be careful with the volume knob for sure.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #18,997 of 21,868
@ sahmen regarding the Marantz MA-700 monoblocks:

The amount of power doesn't tell you if it has a tight bass or not. For instance my 50W amp trumped over the NAD M3, which does 180W (and had a MSRP of $2800)

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #18,998 of 21,868

The amount of power doesn't tell you if it has a tight bass or not. For instance my 50W amp trumped over the NAD M3, which does 180W (and had a MSRP of $2800)

I believe that is why is he asked if anyone had experience with how they sound with the HE-6. He was just acknowledging that power would not be a worry.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #18,999 of 21,868

Agreed, and that is why I won't really purchase the monoblocks until I can get some favorable testimony from someone who has actually paired them with the He-6,

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #19,000 of 21,868
  I believe that is why is he asked if anyone had experience with how they sound with the HE-6. He was just acknowledging that power would not be a worry.

This is accurate. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #19,001 of 21,868
  Agreed, and that is why I won't really purchase the monoblocks until I can get some favorable testimony from someone who has actually paired them with the He-6,

Unless, you are getting the blocks for really really really cheap, there's are other options that pose less risk to the HE-6 and possibly offer the same or better sound quality.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #19,002 of 21,868
Read reviews of it and see how it pairs with decent neutral speakers. Generally good amps dont start suddenly sounding bad on the HE-6. Yes the translation from speakers to he6 might not be exact, but it isnt night and day. Is there better bang for the buck for the same price specifically for the HE6? Possibly. However you'd need to try many many amps in order to isolate that risk at any price point.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #19,003 of 21,868
Read reviews of it and see how it pairs with decent neutral speakers. Generally good amps dont start suddenly sounding bad on the HE-6. Yes the translation from speakers to he6 might not be exact, but it isnt night and day. Is there better bang for the buck for the same price specifically for the HE6? Possibly. However you'd need to try many many amps in order to isolate that risk at any price point.

That's the truth. When I demoed the integrated speaker amps recently, the first day I was at the shop was all on speakers. I told the sales guy what my headphones sounded like, then said I'd be looking for that in speakers. He picked 3 sets, I eyeballed 2 others, we listened to the 5 and I settled on the ones I thought were most neutral and most punchy. It translated very well to what I listened to the second day with the headphones. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #19,005 of 21,868
Also a general rule of thumb when shopping for a speaker amp you haven't heard or can't hear until you buy it - the power should double when the impedance is halved. It won't tell you the signature, but it's a sign of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back