HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #20,671 of 21,883
If we look at the "package" of the HE6se, it includes the HE-adapter box worth $99 and the cable is $250 more (if the spare parts in the HiFiMan shop are the same as the original parts). In other words, apart from the updated design including headband and connectors, the HE6se has added value of $349. In that context $500 extra isn't that bad.

Another angle people don't consider is that part of the purchase price is paying to provide support and maintenance, in this case of older technology that might be even more expensive to support compared to newer ones.

In many cases like this, bringing back "older" technology and re-selling it is actually more expensive for the manufacturer because of these support obligations.

I did end up purchasing the HE6SE and it is currently en route to me. It has been stuck in Canadian customs for over a week now, unfortunately. I will provide impressions as soon as I get them. Like others have said, I suspect it will be enough to just look at this thread to see if these headphones are right for you. The big wild card are the headband and the comfort - which Hifiman proved they could potentially botch with the HE 560.

I will update the thread as soon as I have them.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #20,672 of 21,883
Yeah, the adapter is a piece of schiit. I hardly listen to HE-6 anymore because I hate the cable so much.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #20,673 of 21,883
Another angle people don't consider is that part of the purchase price is paying to provide support and maintenance, in this case of older technology that might be even more expensive to support compared to newer ones.

In many cases like this, bringing back "older" technology and re-selling it is actually more expensive for the manufacturer because of these support obligations.

I did end up purchasing the HE6SE and it is currently en route to me. It has been stuck in Canadian customs for over a week now, unfortunately. I will provide impressions as soon as I get them. Like others have said, I suspect it will be enough to just look at this thread to see if these headphones are right for you. The big wild card are the headband and the comfort - which Hifiman proved they could potentially botch with the HE 560.

I will update the thread as soon as I have them.
Perfect. If these don’t pan out. Hex with be purchased

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #20,674 of 21,883
Yeah, the adapter is a piece of schiit. I hardly listen to HE-6 anymore because I hate the cable so much.
Why don’t you just get a new cable? The new ZMF cables do kick ass you know.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #20,675 of 21,883
I've got a custom cable for HE-6 but it can't stay screwed in. Is ZMF especially good at staying screwed into the HE-6's schiity connections?

Also, what would that set me back?

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #20,676 of 21,883
I've got a custom cable for HE-6 but it can't stay screwed in. Is ZMF especially good at staying screwed into the HE-6's schiity connections?

Also, what would that set me back?
Well. Those crappy screw in jacks are what they are. No way around them unless you have them changed. You could possibly just tighten the heck out of those connectors. And then we could talk about an adapter at the hp end. Check out the website cable section. Bunch of options. http://www.zmfheadphones.com/

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #20,679 of 21,883
Received my adapter cable yesterday from UK company CustomCans to connect my HE6's direct to my speaker amp.

Fantastic sound. Much better than using the HiFiMan HE XLR Adapter Box i.e. more of everything in the sound.

Also my amp isn't getting hot like it did with the Adapter Box just warm like it's connected to speakers. Volume is only up to 30 to 35% whereas with Adapter Box had to increase to 50 to 65% to get the same sound level, so the resistors in the Adapter Box doing there job too well i.e. giving a big resistance therefore causing a restriction to the output from the speaker amp hence it getting hot which is not good for the amp.

Very happy now with my home Headphone set up.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #20,680 of 21,883
Received my adapter cable yesterday from UK company CustomCans to connect my HE6's direct to my speaker amp.

Fantastic sound. Much better than using the HiFiMan HE XLR Adapter Box i.e. more of everything in the sound.

Also my amp isn't getting hot like it did with the Adapter Box just warm like it's connected to speakers. Volume is only up to 30 to 35% whereas with Adapter Box had to increase to 50 to 65% to get the same sound level, so the resistors in the Adapter Box doing there job too well i.e. giving a big resistance therefore causing a restriction to the output from the speaker amp hence it getting hot which is not good for the amp.

Very happy now with my home Headphone set up.

My CustomCans Adapter cable spec to go with my CustomCans HE6 cable;

Ultra-low capacitance adapter for balanced cable to balanced/unbalanced source
Colour 1
Black
Colour 2
Navy Blue
Length
15-20 cm
Termination for Balanced / Unbalanced Source End
2 x Banana Plugs (Male) (For Speaker Connections)
Termination for Balanced Headphone Cable End
4 pin XLR (Female/Gold Pins)

CustomCans did a great job with all the cables for my HE6's with a great service and a quality product.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #20,681 of 21,883
If we look at the "package" of the HE6se, it includes the HE-adapter box worth $99 and the cable is $250 more (if the spare parts in the HiFiMan shop are the same as the original parts). In other words, apart from the updated design including headband and connectors, the HE6se has added value of $349. In that context $500 extra isn't that bad.

I like the effort since I like FB's products. However, the next time I find a $250 cable that makes a $250 difference will be the first time.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #20,682 of 21,883
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #20,683 of 21,883
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #20,684 of 21,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back