HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #20,704 of 21,860
So where have you been in the meanwhile and what's brought you back to the HE6?
Trying out many other headphones after I sold the HE-6. I felt unsatisfied because my venture with HE6 didn't go far enough to realize the potential. I never really got to try a power amp, and last time I tried two amps. Beta22 and headphone out of vintage Onkyo (which was in crap consition). I never followed through with trying out the speaker taps.

With my current DAC (Gumby) and HE6 out of speaker taps of a real power amp, I hope to get much better results. I hope to get it sound better than the more efficient HE500 I currently been listening to. Will see if HE500 was just an appetizer.

To me, the inefficiency was a real annoyance is why I left (looking for power amps, etc..), but I decided to give power amps a try. Such an awkward headphone. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #20,705 of 21,860
I had the 500s a while and thought they were the best I'd heard. Got some 6s but sounded a bit thin and put them away. A wanted ad came up for some so I decided to try them with speaker taps before I replied. The 500s went on ebay the next day..

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #20,706 of 21,860
Trying out many other headphones after I sold the HE-6. I felt unsatisfied because my venture with HE6 didn't go far enough to realize the potential. I never really got to try a power amp, and last time I tried two amps. Beta22 and headphone out of vintage Onkyo (which was in crap consition). I never followed through with trying out the speaker taps.

With my current DAC (Gumby) and HE6 out of speaker taps of a real power amp, I hope to get much better results. I hope to get it sound better than the more efficient HE500 I currently been listening to. Will see if HE500 was just an appetizer.

To me, the inefficiency was a real annoyance is why I left (looking for power amps, etc..), but I decided to give power amps a try. Such an awkward headphone. :darthsmile:
Make sure you get a good seal between the driver and the cup + between the cup and the pads. Depending on your preference - try out some leather / protein leather pads with memory foam padding. With these two mods you will not lack bass (except you're a hardcore basshead).

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #20,707 of 21,860
Hey guys, just posted my review of this beast after owning them for roughly 6 years.

I try my best to be objective, but YMMV.

Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #20,709 of 21,860
I had the 500s a while and thought they were the best I'd heard. Got some 6s but sounded a bit thin and put them away. A wanted ad came up for some so I decided to try them with speaker taps before I replied. The 500s went on ebay the next day..
When I was in investigation mode for amps, I noticed the higher up in quality I went the higher the HP scaled. I wish I could have afforded the best I'd heard but we all have our limits. The Moon 600i by Simaudio made them sound like a pair of speakers.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #20,710 of 21,860
When I was in investigation mode for amps, I noticed the higher up in quality I went the higher the HP scaled. I wish I could have afforded the best I'd heard but we all have our limits. The Moon 600i by Simaudio made them sound like a pair of speakers.
A++
My Chord Electronics Mezzo 140 does the same with my HE-6's via the Mezzo 140 speaker taps. Hi-Fi bliss. Best headphone system (actually a speaker system) I have ever heard and I have listened to and owned some great headphone systems i.e. BHSE & Stax 009's for instance.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #20,712 of 21,860
Good news, they accept a second repair for free.

The service seem to suck pretty badly though.
There is still repair service for HE6 going on? Awesome. how much does it cost to fix a dead driver?

asking just in case my pair breaks :) Hopefully repair services will be going on for a long time. Love my HE6.

Currently using my HE-400i since my DAC is in for upgrades and I dont have the cables to use my amp unbalanced.. Got me thinking about finding a replacement for the HE-6 if they break(finding, not buying).

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #20,714 of 21,860
Make sure you get a good seal between the driver and the cup + between the cup and the pads. Depending on your preference - try out some leather / protein leather pads with memory foam padding. With these two mods you will not lack bass (except you're a hardcore basshead).
Do the reflective pads lift bass? I have Velpads and it does seal very well and much more comfortable than the old Hifiman pads (which puts pressure in the area between under the jaw and the ear due to pad stiffness). It's a material like Sennheiser HD6-- series pads, and sounded most balanced out of HE500. Usually reflective material creates more of a lift of frequency bands and thus can cause peaks in situations, and this depends on if the response is desireable or not.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #20,715 of 21,860
Do the reflective pads lift bass? I have Velpads and it does seal very well and much more comfortable than the old Hifiman pads (which puts pressure in the area between under the jaw and the ear due to pad stiffness). It's a material like Sennheiser HD6-- series pads, and sounded most balanced out of HE500. Usually reflective material creates more of a lift of frequency bands and thus can cause peaks in situations, and this depends on if the response is desireable or not.
The velour and micro suede (cloth/fabric) pads that I have tried have less sub bass than the protein / real leather pads. I feel confident it's not the reflective properties, but sealing that make these pads yield better sub bass. Try blowing through velour and then try the same with leather. One is not at all airtight, the other is quite airtight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back