HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #19,711 of 21,868
  Do people still perform the Fuzzor mod on the HE-6?  Seems like it isn't mentioned much anymore as a means to dampen reflections.

Technically it should only bring improvements to the sound but I pulled mine off when I was trying various mods and didn't notice a huge difference.  It kind of reminded me of a recording studio where it is so dead it's almost too much damping.  You lose the life and excitement of the music.  Of course it depends on what pads and other supporting mods you use to decide if that sounds like an improvement.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #19,712 of 21,868
I not only have a crappily done fuzzor, I also have an additional pad of felt and acoustic fibre in front. Of course, I also have more reflective leather pads rather than the usual vegans that people use.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #19,713 of 21,868
I just took my grills off and am having the hardest time discerning the slightest difference. Been putting a grill back on one side, and then the other, but the experience has been one of confusion and mystification. I'm perfectly content to leave them off to keep up appearances, but—at least with my transcendently mediocre Mjolnir 2, which surely reveals quite little of HE-6's full potential—the grill mod has done little for me, across genres.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #19,714 of 21,868
In my experience with hundreds of hours modding the HE-6(insane, I know), Grills off basically makes them more mid-centric tapering off both low and high end slightly.  Depending on what pads you use this can be a benefit or a disadvantage.  

What doesn't lie is the improvement the acoustic fiber and back damping do for improving decay and stopping errant ringing in the frequency response.  The stock damping IMO, provides the best balance between adding "weight" to the sound and not over damping where snares and such lack their appropriate attack.  

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #19,715 of 21,868
Have you compared the dekoni to the HM5 angled memory pad that were being talked about by @LarsHP
 ? The HM5 are half the price...

I picked up these Dekoni pads and had a shoot out among these, the HM5 angled pleather, the HM5 angled sheepskin, the AQ NightHawk original pleather pads and the Alpha Dog angled lamb skin. I used the NightHawks initially for ease of mounting and comparing vs the HE-6 (my phones are modded to have a felt bass lens covering the full cup, with the pads stretched over the outside if the cups. I also have removed the fluff from behind the cups (but grills still on) and have performed the full blu-tak mod.

So, on the NH, the classic stock pads have the most bass, but that "muddy" and congested upper mid/lower treble many NH listeners have commented on) which is why I initially switched to the HM5 angled pleather and have been using most, and which I much preferred. Reduced bass (in a good way) and more transparent mids/treble. Then I tried the angled sheepskin HM5 and they were similar to the pleather, but a bit more polite at both ends. Slightly less energy at both ends.

The Dekoni on the NHs had more bass than any, except the stock, but it was more controlled. Also, the soundstage was more open had a bit more presence in the upper mids, without over emphasizing the treble.

So, onto the HE-6. Compared to the Alpha pads, which are angled and the Dekoni are not and not as thick, I get pretty much the same bass as the Alpha, and the same better presence, soundstage and upper extension I heard on the NHs. Alpha pads are clearly rolled off compared to these, which I don't feel I need with my HE-6 as they are. Bottom line, the Dekoni are the way to go for me, for now. If you have e HM5 angled pleather, they will be close, but a bit more aggressive and a different soundstage presentation, which I prefer less that that if the non-angled Dekoni.

YMMV. Happy listening!

Edit: corrected spelling of Dekoni in several places.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #19,716 of 21,868
That's great to hear!  Their one of the few pads to fill in that dip around 2300kHz.  Every other pad I've tried had various degrees of suckout there.  The Hifiman Focus/Focus A pads are the worst in this regard but otherwise offer a very linear and smooth frequency response.  Audeze pads are wonky, kinda v shaped sounding with the 10kHz tizz of death for me.  Stock pads with additional mods can be the most linear but lack the emotional connection to the music and turn the headphones into just a scalpel for critical but non enjoyed listening.  

I asked Dekoni if they would make angled versions of this pad and they said that it was definitely a possibility for future models.  

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #19,717 of 21,868
That's great to hear!  Their one of the few pads to fill in that dip around 2300kHz.  Every other pad I've tried had various degrees of suckout there.  The Hifiman Focus/Focus A pads are the worst in this regard but otherwise offer a very linear and smooth frequency response.  Audeze pads are wonky, kinda v shaped sounding with the 10kHz tizz of death for me.  Stock pads with additional mods can be the most linear but lack the emotional connection to the music and turn the headphones into just a scalpel for critical but non enjoyed listening.  

I asked Dekoni if they would make angled versions of this pad and they said that it was definitely a possibility for future models.  

That's what is interesting about these...general wisdom says the angled pads have better soundstage, but I'm finding these non-angeled to have the best soundstage of all.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #19,718 of 21,868
That is one area that impressed me too.  The only pads that had better soundstage but worse frequency response were the Brainwavz angled velour.  They are still a recommended pad from me just a more laid back midrange.  They work best without grills and damping.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #19,719 of 21,868
I haven't tried the Dekoni pads, but I just installed the Alpha pads, and I've definitely been missing out. They sound better to my ears than the Vegan pads Ive had for the longest of time. The whole presentation has livened up. Have to try the Dekoni to see if I hear any improvement.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #19,720 of 21,868
I picked up these Dekoni pads and had a shoot out among these, the HM5 angled pleather, the HM5 angled sheepskin, the AQ NightHawk original pleather pads and the Alpha Dog angled lamb skin. I used the NightHawks initially for ease of mounting and comparing vs the HE-6 (my phones are modded to have a felt bass lens covering the full cup, with the pads stretched over the outside if the cups. I also have removed the fluff from behind the cups (but grills still on) and have performed the full blu-tak mod.

So, on the NH, the classic stock pads have the most bass, but that "muddy" and congested upper mid/lower treble many NH listeners have commented on) which is why I initially switched to the HM5 angled pleather and have been using most, and which I much preferred. Reduced bass (in a good way) and more transparent mids/treble. Then I tried the angled sheepskin HM5 and they were similar to the pleather, but a bit more polite at both ends. Slightly less energy at both ends.

The Dekoni on the NHs had more bass than any, except the stock, but it was more controlled. Also, the soundstage was more open had a bit more presence in the upper mids, without over emphasizing the treble.

So, onto the HE-6. Compared to the Alpha pads, which are angled and the Dekoni are not and not as thick, I get pretty much the same bass as the Alpha, and the same better presence, soundstage and upper extension I heard on the NHs. Alpha pads are clearly rolled off compared to these, which I don't feel I need with my HE-6 as they are. Bottom line, the Dekoni are the way to go for me, for now. If you have e HM5 angled pleather, they will be close, but a bit more aggressive and a different soundstage presentation, which I prefer less that that if the non-angled Dekoni.

YMMV. Happy listening!

Thanks for your comparison! Really helpful.

Also, I noticed you are from SF! We should have a mini meet to audition phones/mods/setups.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #19,721 of 21,868
I think the reason the Dekoni pads work so well is that the ear opening is perfectly circular like the stock pads.  The diaphragm is also circular so it makes sense to avoid possible irregular reflections due to an irregular ear opening.  One additional mod I did do was add two rings of adhesive felt around the very outside edge of the metal surrounding the driver and then a slightly bigger ring that covered that one and covered the plastic where the tabs snap in.  I made four slots for the tabs to line up and go in.  This has helped immensely with any reflections added by the plastic.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #19,722 of 21,868
  I think the reason the Dekoni pads work so well is that the ear opening is perfectly circular like the stock pads.  The diaphragm is also circular so it makes sense to avoid possible irregular reflections due to an irregular ear opening.  One additional mod I did do was add two rings of adhesive felt around the very outside edge of the metal surrounding the driver and then a slightly bigger ring that covered that one and covered the plastic where the tabs snap in.  I made four slots for the tabs to line up and go in.  This has helped immensely with any reflections added by the plastic.

Do you have any pictures of this?

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #19,724 of 21,868

YMMV. Happy listening!

Which Dekoni pads did you get? I see 4 listings on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back