HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 22, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #19,726 of 21,867
The ones linked earlier - the Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin Leather Ear Pads for Beyerdynamic DT Series. They are currently $59 on Amazon. It $69 on the Dekoni site.

Thanks! I guess I should have looked further back. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #19,727 of 21,867
I must be in the small minority. I still prefer my focus-a pads to both the Audeze vegan and Dekoni pleather pads. Though, I have only mounted via the mounting rings. Maybe I'll get more ambitious and use the gluedots I purchased and try to mount the vegans more properly, as they are rather large, as well as the Dekonis and see if that doesn't pose a positive improvement. Dekonis are nice and soft, but the focus-a pads are softer yet.

I think I got a unique pair of focus-a pads. My buddy had the focus pads initially, and liked how much softer mine were, so he purchased a pair of focus-a pads. His focus-a pads were as firm as his focus pads. Not that that really has to do with their sound, it's just an extra tidbit I thought I'd throw in there.

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #19,728 of 21,867
I used the HiFiMAN rings with the Brainwavz HM5 angled, sheepskin pads and they're so much more comfortable than the stock velour pads that I still can't believe it.

The angled sheepskin pads are beyond comfortable, and the longer I wear them the more they seem to nestle in. They get softer as the memory foam warms up and that leather on then snuggles right into my head. Man they're nice.

The sound, I'm still figuring out. I think my ears are further away from the drivers and the leather is more reflective, so the mids have changed a hair. The bass is punchy and palpable, which is nice. It might have more texture than before. The highs don't seem to have been affected.

I'm thinking of trying out some felt to reduce the bass a little and bring the mids back out, but we'll see. For now I'm just going to water them a ton and see if the memory foam gets a bit shorter and whatever.

The big take away is that holy ***, these are comfortable now. I love sheepskin pads, screw all those other materials.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #19,729 of 21,867
Well... the more time marches on, all the more I appreciate the HE-6 (my pair remains original, unmodified). 
The HE-6 would definitely be my desert-island keeper.

I'm bummed (like everyone else) about it's discontinuance, and do hope there remains some parts and repair possibilities
going forward. I'll continue handling them gently, and hope for the best.

Yep, these big clunky black cans just get my toes tapping and pull me into a groove like no other phones I've encountered. 
They are choice #1 when I want to "rock out", but also always seem to satisfy with other genres and moods too. And yeah,
the bass performance and reproduction of percussive elements never ceases to amaze...

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #19,730 of 21,867
Yeah, I'm basically back to stock form for mine and with the right upstream gear they are truly unique and hold there own.  They walk a magical line of being able to see into the music and dissect it a la HD800 but also are more musical and have the fun factor and bass slam of planars.  Hopefully one day there will be a worthy successor.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #19,731 of 21,867
I'm bummed (like everyone else) about it's discontinuance, and do hope there remains some parts and repair possibilities
going forward. I'll continue handling them gently, and hope for the best.

Wondering about the status of the discontinuance.  Am I correct in remembering the announcement was about a year ago and yet the HE6 continues to be carried in their product line.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #19,732 of 21,867
Huh... I just went to the HIFIMAN website. When you do click the tab 'More Reference' a page comes up which does
show the HE-6 for $1,299, but when you click on the 'Store' button to buy them a 'Bad Link' page comes up.

I believe they actually have stopped making and selling them. I'm thinking any HE-6's presently being sold anywhere
online as 'new' are probably residual dealer NOS inventory.

Whatever the case, better grab-'em while you can!

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #19,733 of 21,867
To add to this discussion of discontinuance.... They don't make them any longer and don't have replacement sets readily available.  So be warned if you are buying a pair... Here's my recent experience with HifiMAN....

I am in the middle of an RMA replacement for my HE-6 and it took quite a while for them to find a pair to replace my pair with.  I put in my first RMA request on December 28th 2016.  I am just getting my replacement next week.  In fact they outright ignored me for a month, then came back and offered me an HE-1000 or HE-X that I had to pay extra for.  Grrrr, not happy at all with this.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #19,734 of 21,867
  To add to this discussion of discontinuance.... They don't make them any longer and don't have replacement sets readily available.  So be warned if you are buying a pair... Here's my recent experience with HifiMAN....

I am in the middle of an RMA replacement for my HE-6 and it took quite a while for them to find a pair to replace my pair with.  I put in my first RMA request on December 28th 2016.  I am just getting my replacement next week.  In fact they outright ignored me for a month, then came back and offered me an HE-1000 or HE-X that I had to pay extra for.  Grrrr, not happy at all with this.

Oh dear. Not pleasant or encouraging news...

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #19,735 of 21,867
Oh dear. Not pleasant or encouraging news...

I'm quite disappointed. And how can they call it an RMA when they are going to charge you for the replacement? It's more of an upgrade program than a warranty program. In the industry that I come from that is a big no no. If you can't repair or replace an item with the same model you replace with a like item or upgraded item at no cost. You pay big $$$$$$$ for a pair of headphones and you expect to be covered under the warranty when they fail. I did pay less than retail for my HE-6s but I purchased them as new from one of Hifiman's retailers explicitly so I would have a warranty. Totally unexceptable.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #19,737 of 21,867
  HE-6 is still the best headphone I've heard but if mine craps out and I can't find one used I'll be moving on.  

Ditto on these sentiments.................

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #19,738 of 21,867

Ditto on these sentiments.................

I was curious to know what your impressions of the Z1R vs the HE-6 were. Did you get a chance to post them?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #19,739 of 21,867

I was curious to know what your impressions of the Z1R vs the HE-6 were. Did you get a chance to post them?

I did not yet post them.  Been a busy week. 

In short, they did not unseat my HE-6 as my all time favorite.  They are excellent but the HE-6 is a hard one to beat. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #19,740 of 21,867

I did not yet post them.  Been a busy week. 

In short, they did not unseat my HE-6 as my all time favorite.  They are excellent but the HE-6 is a hard one to beat. 

I felt the same way when I sold the Z1R. Was curious to compare your impressions of the two phones against mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back