HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 9, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #19,307 of 21,868
I wonder if there any spare sets of that nice HE6 in a 560 housing and headband for sale..i did buy it in a heartbeat..

It is not a model you can buy. You buy the HE560 headband assembly and then you yourself have to transplant the HE-6 drivers from your HE-6

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #19,309 of 21,868
I'm curious as well.  I've been very careful with mine, not hooking them up to poweramps etc. and wouldn't mind a backup pair just cause.  I feel like these will be highly sought after when they are truly gone.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #19,312 of 21,868
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #19,314 of 21,868
Oh wow I totally missed that. Nicely done.

There are also several examples in the HE-500 thread, some of which have just transferred the whole HE-500 cup to the HE-560 headband

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #19,316 of 21,868
basshead.gif
Djeeeezus!

I put on a set of Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads on my HE-6 instead of the Audeze "vegan" pads and WOW!
tongue_smile.gif

These pads are really what HE-6 needs to get the bass right! Bass is considerably much more hard hitting and tight - and dynamics are just frightening. On tracks with lots of sub bass, the bass quality is simply staggering and has that character I expect is usually called layered. This is definetely on par with the best quality bass I have ever heard.

When I had my Audeze LCD-2 v2, the only reason to keep it over HE-6 was it's superb bass quality, but now - with the MH5 pleather pads, I am not sure that would have been the case. I don't have the LCD-2 any more, because the HE-6 trumped the LCD-2 in all other areas both in therms of SQ and comfort, so this is of course based on memory, but still - the bass quality out of HE-6 with the HM5 pleather pads is just so much better now, that I suspect they will play bass on at the same quality level.

I thoght that dynamics of HE-6 was among the best possible out there, but the HM5 pads simply lift it to previously unknown hights. Wow! (I know, I said it again - but it's just wow!)

In short, the HM5 pleathers are keepers and the vegan pads are heading for the trash bin (well not really, but you get my drift).

I have put a piece of felt between the hair screen and the pads (not covering the opening of course), and this adjusts the sligthly higher level of upper treble that I got with the HM5 pleathers compared to the vegan's. Also, since the HM5 pads are oval in shape, I have inserted the mounting ring from the old HiFiMan velour pads to make the HM5's fit the cups.

And the second best part: The HM5 pleathers are just a fraction of the price of the Audeze pads...

Edit: The Brainwavz HM5 pads has memory foam (in addition to high quality pleather), and I expect this is the reason why they perform so well.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #19,318 of 21,868
Both seems to be Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads. Brainwavz makes several kinds of HM5 pads and this includes both an angled and a normal version.

The pad I have at the moment is the normal version which is also cheaper. I expect the angled version to have similar qualities as the standard, and that the main reason to go for the angled version instead of the normal would be other qualities than those I have described such as imaging for instance. My guess is that the angled pleather could be even better than the normal version. I got the HM5 pads as accessories for another headphone, so the normal version is not one I chose over the angled.

I have ordered a set of angled HM5 velour to experiment with. It's not bought for the HE-6 in the first place, but it might end up sitting on it. If I like the angled version for some reasons, but the pleather for others, I imagine that I will buy the angled pleathers to see if it's the best combination.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #19,320 of 21,868
I excitedly affixed my vegan pads to my HE6 without planning for their removal. I'm not sure I could remove them without tearing them severely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back