HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 5, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #19,292 of 21,868
I am very settled in with mine it's wonderful. It's pending a review which I will do as soon as I can ,because stuff like this can be built by people such as @dill3000
 for reasonable prices and it heavily outweighs the opposition , certainly on the scales !

If you get a chance also try the LCD-4 off of your F6, just a magnificent pairing as well!

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #19,294 of 21,868
A new LCD-4 is literally 5.6x what I paid for my HE-6. LCD4 sounds great (I've heard it twice) but it's not even close to worth the sticker price.

If their product line were Sine $150-$300, EL-8 - $500, LCD-2 - $700, LCD-X/XC/3 ~ $1000-$1200, and LCD-4 - $2000, then maybe I'd be interested, but the stuff is just so utterly overpriced I can't begin to take them seriously. EDIT: Ditto, HE-X, HE1K.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #19,295 of 21,868
Question for using a speaker amp with the HE-6:

Here is my setup:
DAC:  AudioGD DAC-19 (10th Anniv)
AMP: 100W speaker amp
PreAmp: Schiit SYS
Headphones:  HE-6 (off the speaker taps)

So I recently picked up a nice 100W speaker amp and am using a Schiit SYS as my passive pre (for the time being).  However, because of the power of the amp, I can only get to about 8 o'clock on the SYS.  Unfortunately, in this range there is a bit of a channel imbalance.

Once I get to about 9 o'clock, the imbalance is gone but it is too loud for normal listening.  I asked Schiit and they recommended an inline attenuator to give me more usable volume control on the SYS (like this https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41B0).
In the meantime, I basically set the SYS to 9 o'clock and am using the Foobar volume control (which of course, isn't ideal since it is digital volume).

So my question to you guys, if I were to pick up the inline attenuators, where would be the best place to put them?  I have 3 options that I can see:
  - The "Output" on the SYS
  - The "Input" on the AMP
  - The "Input" on the SYS

What do you guys think??

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #19,296 of 21,868
  Question for using a speaker amp with the HE-6:

Here is my setup:
DAC:  AudioGD DAC-19 (10th Anniv)
AMP: 100W speaker amp
PreAmp: Schiit SYS
Headphones:  HE-6 (off the speaker taps)

So I recently picked up a nice 100W speaker amp and am using a Schiit SYS as my passive pre (for the time being).  However, because of the power of the amp, I can only get to about 8 o'clock on the SYS.  Unfortunately, in this range there is a bit of a channel imbalance.

Once I get to about 9 o'clock, the imbalance is gone but it is too loud for normal listening.  I asked Schiit and they recommended an inline attenuator to give me more usable volume control on the SYS (like this https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41B0).
In the meantime, I basically set the SYS to 9 o'clock and am using the Foobar volume control (which of course, isn't ideal since it is digital volume).

So my question to you guys, if I were to pick up the inline attenuators, where would be the best place to put them?  I have 3 options that I can see:
  - The "Output" on the SYS
  - The "Input" on the AMP
  - The "Input" on the SYS

What do you guys think??

Input of the Sys, I am using a -12db HL right now between my Theta and my B1 buffer/preamp and now the volume range is utterly perfect, went from listening in tiny window at  8-9:30, now I have a nice wide usable range from 10-3.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #19,297 of 21,868
I'm not sure if the DAC 19 acts like my NFB10-ES2 but I can adjust the pre out to either High or Low gain.  If you can do that, it might give you the volume play you desire.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #19,299 of 21,868
The modding is done to try and remove colorations historically reported as being present in the HE-6. Particularly , the treble is perceived by many as being rather too forward. The trick is to constrain that treble without losing any of the other magic. There are many mods out there.
Should you decide after a listen to purchase an HE-6 , I would do nothing to them at all at first. I would tweak the EQ settings on your playback software and experiment with that. If that doesn't seem enough I would remove the dust ccvers and the wool just inside. That takes seconds and is completely reversible. If you want even more after letting your ears adjust from there I will leave it to the people here who have gone even further. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #19,300 of 21,868

Input of the Sys, I am using a -12db HL right now between my Theta and my B1 buffer/preamp and now the volume range is utterly perfect, went from listening in tiny window at  8-9:30, now I have a nice wide usable range from 10-3.

Thanks, that's good to know.  That was the way I was leaning myself.  That way I'm not attenuating the 2nd input on the SYS as well (which doesn't need it).  Any impact on quality that you noticed?

I'm not sure if the DAC 19 acts like my NFB10-ES2 but I can adjust the pre out to either High or Low gain.  If you can do that, it might give you the volume play you desire.

That would be a perfect fix but unfortunately the DAC-19 doesn't have that feature.  My old NFB-3 did (went from 2.5v to 1.25v) but the DAC-19 "Settings" button just changes the phase.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #19,303 of 21,868
Might be good, looks like they scaled up pivot-point from the jotunhiem,  and they are "affordable" I'm more interested in the preamps atm. If saga actually is a good SE buffer/passive that isn't too much of a tube distortion EQ it might get got to compare to my B1.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #19,304 of 21,868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back