HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 4, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #19,276 of 21,868
Yes they sound just like a regular HE6 - these ones are stock with the open grill mod.  One improvement is with the Aluminum Trim Ring which I got also. It keeps the drivers more stable, also the pads fit more securely - this could improve the sound.

They feel more light on your head with the new headband also.

I spoke to HiFiMAN directly and got some for myself and friends who's HE6's I have modded.

I'd order that badboy in a heartbeat. Nice work!

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #19,277 of 21,868
  Yes they sound just like a regular HE6 - these ones are stock with the open grill mod.  One improvement is with the Aluminum Trim Ring which I got also. It keeps the drivers more stable, also the pads fit more securely - this could improve the sound.

They feel more light on your head with the new headband also.

I spoke to HiFiMAN directly and got some for myself and friends who's HE6's I have modded.

So HiFiMan sells just the headband? In what colors? Is it easy to mod?

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #19,278 of 21,868
So HiFiMan sells just the headband? In what colors? Is it easy to mod?

They sell the HE-560 headband and cups. The project is somewhat difficault as I remember from descriptions

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #19,280 of 21,868
Yes I wished HIFIMAN would have updated the HE6. I've asked them before. Have a couple spare headband and cups, PM me if anyone wants a set. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna do my HE6. Its fully modded and hardwired, I also have a self made suspension band. The HE560 headband yoke makes the vegan pads difficult to fit correctly. All HIFIMAN pads work fine. 

Yes its quite tricky. HIFIMAN told me it couldn't be done with the HE6, they even checked with the engineers. I brought them on a bit of a gamble. But it worked out.  No press drill needed. The hole doesn't need to be enlarged. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #19,281 of 21,868
  Yes I wished HIFIMAN would have updated the HE6. I've asked them before. Have a couple spare headband and cups, PM me if anyone wants a set. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna do my HE6. Its fully modded and hardwired, I also have a self made suspension band. The HE560 headband yoke makes the vegan pads difficult to fit correctly. All HIFIMAN pads work fine. 

Yes its quite tricky. HIFIMAN told me it couldn't be done with the HE6, they even checked with the engineers. I brought them on a bit of a gamble. But it worked out.  No press drill needed. The hole doesn't need to be enlarged. 

Maybe you should send them some pics and tell them their engineers need to go back to school.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #19,282 of 21,868
Yes, the Vegan pads don't work on the newer head-band assembly: they're too big and the yokes put pressure on the pads, which in turn puts pressure on the temples when the head-band is stretch to fit the heat. Only narrow heads will be able to wear it (with some discomfort).

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #19,283 of 21,868
Hello Everyone!

I recently sold my HE-560 phones..I hadn't been using them for a while. Not because they weren't any good, but because I simply preferred sitting down in front of the 2.0..
I might be moving places in a few weeks and it is quite possible that I won't be able to set up the 2.0 for a while..so..I might have to consider getting some phones again..
Could the HE-6 be a worthy successor? As far as I know these phones have quite a different sound to the HE-560. I'm not sure I would want to shell out 3k for a HE-1000...
Anyone went from the HE-560 to these? I'd like to hear some impressions.

Thanks

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #19,284 of 21,868
The HE-6 has a similar tonality, but much better body all around.

The 560 sound a bit tighter/more focused. the HE-6 have more inner illumination and give you the "you are there" feeling.

HE-6 is very picky with the amp selection. Most headphone amps make them sound shrill and painfully bright.
Good class A power amps don't. Don't need to be a power house. First Watt amps get my highest recommendation.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #19,285 of 21,868
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hm...that sounds interesting...firstly because I cannot stand shrillness, and secondly because I've been considering buying ( or building ) a FirstWatt amp to go with my full-range speakers...
Which of the FirstWatt amps are you using?

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #19,286 of 21,868
  Thanks for the quick reply!

Hm...that sounds interesting...firstly because I cannot stand shrillness, and secondly because I've been considering buying ( or building ) a FirstWatt amp to go with my full-range speakers...
Which of the FirstWatt amps are you using?

For the longest time I was using a F6, which I recently sold when I got a DIY VFET amp.

I'm gathering the parts to build another F6 myself.

I've had the M2, which I thought was too warm and not on the same (technical) level as the F6.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #19,287 of 21,868
My F6 with the HE-6 was tried with the HE560s side by side by myself and couple of friends. I was not the owner of the 560s - that was @Turrican2 at the time. There was no comparison between the 2 in my opinion. The HE-6 was simply in another league.
@dill3000 thanks for coming to my aid - I wished I'd taken notes during my stay with you. So I have an F6 which we've made into a warmer silkier sound by the dual power supply mod ? I'm sre there was far more to it than that.
@dill3000 showed me the 560 headband mod and it looks amazing. His HE-6s sound better than any other HE-6 I've ever heard. With his DIY DAC , the Mini Beast and his HE-6s I had 2 hours of listening to the best sound quality I've ever heard from headphones. Better than the BHSE/SR009 and the Orpheus. It was mind blowing

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #19,288 of 21,868
My F6 with the HE-6 was tried with the HE560s side by side by myself and couple of friends. I was not the owner of the 560s - that was @Turrican2
 at the time. There was no comparison between the 2 in my opinion. The HE-6 was simply in another league.
@dill3000
 thanks for coming to my aid - I wished I'd taken notes during my stay with you. So I have an F6 which we've made into a warmer silkier sound by the dual power supply mod ? I'm sre there was far more to it than that.
@dill3000
 showed me the 560 headband mod and it looks amazing. His HE-6s sound better than any other HE-6 I've ever heard. With his DIY DAC , the Mini Beast and his HE-6s I had 2 hours of listening to the best sound quality I've ever heard from headphones. Better than the BHSE/SR009 and the Orpheus. It was mind blowing

Hi Trev,
Slight correction, I owned the HE-500. Still agree with your findings though :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #19,290 of 21,868
My F6 with the HE-6 was tried with the HE560s side by side by myself and couple of friends. I was not the owner of the 560s - that was @Turrican2
 at the time. There was no comparison between the 2 in my opinion. The HE-6 was simply in another league.
@dill3000
 thanks for coming to my aid - I wished I'd taken notes during my stay with you. So I have an F6 which we've made into a warmer silkier sound by the dual power supply mod ? I'm sre there was far more to it than that.
@dill3000
 showed me the 560 headband mod and it looks amazing. His HE-6s sound better than any other HE-6 I've ever heard. With his DIY DAC , the Mini Beast and his HE-6s I had 2 hours of listening to the best sound quality I've ever heard from headphones. Better than the BHSE/SR009 and the Orpheus. It was mind blowing

Firstwatt is the real deal with the 6, I have tried a multitude of amps and it was like I heard them for the first time with my J2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back