HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #18,496 of 21,868
  hi Junyuan!!! Great to hear from you!! You KNOW how much I respect and appreciate your advice and knowledge! Tks much for you input in re to the vegan pads. I actually enjoy the HE6's sound with the velour pads quite a bit  but they just are not comfortable enough for an extended listening session. Hope life is well!!!!! :)

Try the Vegans and Lohb's headband suspension pad...............really helps the comfort. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #18,497 of 21,868
Just purchased a speaker amp, and I'm about to purchase the cans. What is the easiest/cheapest way to listen via speaker taps? I'll consider upgrading the cable at a future date, but I'd first like to understand if there's an option to ensure the amp is working properly with the cables included with stock HE-6.

Yeah, yeah, I should have bought the cans first, but I found (what I think was) a good deal on a vintage Nelson Pass amp, so I jumped on it.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #18,498 of 21,868
Just purchased a speaker amp, and I'm about to purchase the cans. What is the easiest/cheapest way to listen via speaker taps? I'll consider upgrading the cable at a future date, but I'd first like to understand if there's an option to ensure the amp is working properly with the cables included with stock HE-6.

Yeah, yeah, I should have bought the cans first, but I found (what I think was) a good deal on a vintage Nelson Pass amp, so I jumped on it.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #18,500 of 21,868
Best I can determine is that at one time the banana adapters where included and/or available as an accessory.  However, after dd was unable to locate and ended up ordering cable terminated in bananas from BTG Audio.  

Do you have a First Watt in hand?

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #18,501 of 21,868
  Best I can determine is that at one time the banana adapters where included and/or available as an accessory.  However, after dd was unable to locate and ended up ordering cable terminated in bananas from BTG Audio.  

Do you have a First Watt in hand?

Thanks for the reply. Checking out BTG Audio now; thanks for the link. So many cable makers, it's hard to keep them all straight!

I definitely considered First Watt, but it seems like the F1J is their best option for the HE-6. I took a HARD look at their other options (specifically the M2, J2, J6, J7), but ultimately I decided to save money and retain the capability to use it with "normal" speakers. Other options from Pass Labs (INT30A, etc) were totally out of my budget. I took a leap of faith that my ears were similar to @Justin_Time's and went with a refurbished vintage Pass design: a Threshold Stasis 150 that I found on eBay for $775 shipped. While the noise floor isn't as low as modern options, I'm hoping the bass slam and attack make up for it...at least until I'm finished with grad school. At some point in the distant future, I'll probably get a separate speaker system then buy an F1J for dedicated HE-6 use...or build one, if I can figure out a suitable Jfet replacement now that the stock ones are no longer available.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #18,504 of 21,868
No, I sold it a long time ago.
The F6 trounces the M2 in very way. For 1000, the M2 was a great buy, though.

I'm not listening to headphones much these days and when I do, the Edition-X gets 99% of the head time.
I will re-setup the F6 / HE-6 soon to refresh my memory.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #18,506 of 21,868
I'm once again a member of the HE-6 owners club - had one for a year or so and for some insane reason sold it a while back.  I can only think I had temporary insanity.  What the hell was I thinking?

Just received my new unit (completely unmolested and looked new) an hour ago - traded my HD800 for it - immediately did the open grill mod (Inspired Designs Biohazard design), Vegan pads and hooked it up to the Spec system (direct to the speaker taps) - good god, if I ever talk about selling it again, please tell me I'm an idiot.  And some of you may remember me once saying the HE-400 was close enough to the HE-6...........nope.  Same insanity period.  I hooked them up side by side, played the same track off the Fourplay Silver CD, and I stand corrected.  Please forgive me for both instances of stupidity - I am a chastened man.  My HE-400 is quite good and set up exactly like the HE-6 with even more mods but no contest - the 6 rules.  Nothing I've tried can compare. 

The bass on these is freaking incredible!  My head was vibrating on the track Quicksilver, to the point I thought it was going to distort.  Nope.  Just visceral throbbing bass.  Wow...........

I'm back and may never take these off.  Dang they are good! 

Now for Blutack, Sorbothane and to tape the pads to the cups (just used the snap on HFM clips for the quick audition), then the Lohb headband pad.  Anything I'm missing? 

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #18,507 of 21,868

Welcome back. Also felt on the inside of the Audeze pads. 

If you like EDM try this track: Noisia - Reptilians. It only makes full sense with HE-6 bass class headphones. It's an A-HA moment, then head explodes. With lesser headphones in this respect, the track can even make absolutely no sense (think HD800 etc) as they don't resolve down that low.

The Abyss were decent, but they start rolling off down very low, so cannot pull it off fully.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #18,509 of 21,868
Yup I've seen them.  I feel like that's overpriced for what it is unless I'm missing something?  $1000 would be more reasonable IMO.

EDIT: page 1234!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I just noticed it!

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #18,510 of 21,868
  I'm once again a member of the HE-6 owners club 

Welcome back 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back