HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 25, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #18,467 of 21,868
I have a quick question.
I bought my HE-6 used, and it had none of the black quarter circle damping material on the ear side of the magnets.
I listened to a friends HE-6 which has them, awhile back, and I think I prefer their sound with these quarter circles.
I was thinking about purchasing some, but cannot remember if they go toward the front of the ear on the upper part of the magnet or towards the back of the ear on the upper part of the magnet.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #18,469 of 21,868
Hi guys, 2 quick questions. Considering grabbing a pair of HE6. 1) is my Bryston BHA1 up to the task ? and 2) how is the SQ compared to Beyer T1.2 (my present reference)? Any comments/offerings here are appreciated. Still pretty new to headphone listening. Thanx.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #18,470 of 21,868
I'm purchasing a Zana Deux Transformer amplifier and I was wondering if I'd need the adapter box to connect the HE-6 to the taps?
Yes you will need the adapter box for that combo. I would also suggest that may not be powerful enough to run the 6s to their full potential.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #18,471 of 21,868
Yes you will need the adapter box for that combo. I would also suggest that may not be powerful enough to run the 6s to their full potential.

A few interesting things on the matter

1) Turns out the taps don't put out any more power with the ZDT than the HP out. Also confirmed with Craig that there's no issue using the HE-6 from the out. Won't affect the transformers at all.

2) Definitely not enough power and I knew that going in. Just a tide over until my SX-1010 comes in.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #18,472 of 21,868
It has always been a standard answer to not use a transformer output amp without using the load matching resistor. The few amps I did try with an output transformer got very hot. If the ZDT works then that's an exception but Craig would know. Is the ZDT a transformerless output?

It does use output transformers so this is a rare exception that will play the 6s.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #18,473 of 21,868
  They go on the top back of the driver.  Between 12 and 3 o'clock.

12 and 3 o'clock on the right driver, 9 and 12 o'clock on the left driver.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #18,474 of 21,868
Hi guys, 2 quick questions. Considering grabbing a pair of HE6. 1) is my Bryston BHA1 up to the task ? and 2) how is the SQ compared to Beyer T1.2 (my present reference)? Any comments/offerings here are appreciated. Still pretty new to headphone listening. Thanx.

Hi! I mentioned it in the amps for the HE-6 thread, I have a BHA-1 and with my DAC, which outputs at a very high level (that's an important fact), the Bryston drives it easily, I cannot go beyond 10-11 with the volume pot, and it sounds amazing. But this is running everything completely balanced and with a +18dBu DAC, probably a regular 2V output would make the Bryston struggle with the HE-6.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #18,475 of 21,868
Hi! I mentioned it in the amps for the HE-6 thread, I have a BHA-1 and with my DAC, which outputs at a very high level (that's an important fact), the Bryston drives it easily, I cannot go beyond 10-11 with the volume pot, and it sounds amazing. But this is running everything completely balanced and with a +18dBu DAC, probably a regular 2V output would make the Bryston struggle with the HE-6.
May I ask what dac you are using?

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #18,476 of 21,868
Yeah, I just looked up the specs on my dac-2VRMS w/no bal. outs. NG.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #18,478 of 21,868
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
What exactly do these quarter circle black foam pieces do sonically?
Do they degrade the sonics any at all, or actually help it?
Are they worth reinstalling?
If so, what is the best adhesive to use and how is the best way to apply it?
Thanks again.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #18,479 of 21,868
Yeah, I just looked up the specs on my dac-2VRMS w/no bal. outs. NG.

Just want to share my experience with bryston bha-1

I used to drive he6 with bha1 connected with SE Dac (bimby), with Bryston you need to turn the volume closed to the max to fire up he6.

After I moved to balanced, result is much better, bryston is able to drive he6 much more easier and with better authority.

Hope it helps.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #18,480 of 21,868
Just want to share my experience with bryston bha-1

I used to drive he6 with bha1 connected with SE Dac (bimby), with Bryston you need to turn the volume closed to the max to fire up he6.

After I moved to balanced, result is much better, bryston is able to drive he6 much more easier and with better authority.

Hope it helps.

Huge help. Thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back