HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #18,481 of 21,868
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
What exactly do these quarter circle black foam pieces do sonically?
Do they degrade the sonics any at all, or actually help it?
Are they worth reinstalling?
If so, what is the best adhesive to use and how is the best way to apply it?
Thanks again.

They're not worth reinstalling in my opinion.  They were put there so that people's ears wouldn't hit the drivers, it's simply a comfort thing.  The next thing I would try is the Audeze vegan pads and adhere them with the included double sided tape directly to the cups.  Also, you can try removing the grills and acoustic fiber inside to get a more open sound if that suits you.   

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #18,482 of 21,868
Yes you will need the adapter box for that combo. I would also suggest that may not be powerful enough to run the 6s to their full potential.

Have noted that adapter box being recommended for tubes with transformers and the only reason I find stated is the concern HP's might be disconnected with amp on and cause damaging harmonic vibrations without a load.  Is there some additional reason that I am missing?

Have some 2A3's will be wanting to try and, to my way of thinking, that adapter box just gets in the way.  

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #18,483 of 21,868

Guys, help me! Headband is broken!!! 
eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif

Updates:

I contact Hifiman customer service. They shipped me a new headband for replacement at the cost of $50. Now my HE-6 is alive again!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #18,484 of 21,868
That's so awesome that it worked out for you!  I've dealt with them in the past and have also been amazed at their helpfulness and promptness.  

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #18,485 of 21,868
I picked up a used pair of HE-6s recently. Absolutely loving these cans but I don't find the stock velour pads to be particularly comfortable. Looking to pick up either the Focus or Focus -A pads. What is the difference between these 2 pads and which do folks feel are the most comfortable and which yields the best SQ? Does anyone feel a different pad than these is a better choice? Tks

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #18,486 of 21,868
i haven't used them back to back, but I find the velour on the focus pads to be itchy and kind of scratchy and poky like the stock velours. Id jump over to bh photo and get some audeze vegan's for 62. Ultimate soft pillowy comfort and best sound available imo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #18,487 of 21,868
  i haven't used them back to back, but I find the velour on the focus pads to be itchy and kind of scratchy and poky like the stock velours. Id jump over to bh photo and get some audeze vegan's for 62. Ultimate soft pillowy comfort and best sound available imo.

Thanks so much! Any issues installing the vegan pads that I should know about or is it pretty straight forward?

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #18,488 of 21,868
when you buy they come with adhesive rings, or you can mount them on to the plastic mounting rings if you don't want them on perminantly. When I used the adhesive rings, id follow this process:

1.id make a single cut in the adhesive ring,
2. take one side of the paper backing off,
3. fit them around the outer edge of the inside of the driver cup,
4. make sure you align the stitching on the pad with the front screw of the driver mount to make sure thje pad is aligned correctly on the driver.
4. remove the other side of paper backing and install the pads with about 3/16" of the pad left around the driver since the pad is bigger than the driver,

id suggest using the plastic rings first to give them a non-permanent test run. but I doubt you'll turn back.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #18,489 of 21,868
Tread carefully. The vegan pads are just slightly bigger than the cans themselves, so centering them should be done with great care. Audeze includes two rings of—it's not two-sided tape, it's almost like stickiness without the tape. Very cleverly done. Downside, of course, is that you either need to attach them to the sort of twist-in anchor that the velour come attached to, or commit to them permanently. Having found that the velour offer more impactful bass, and perhaps clearer sound overall, despite being far less comfortable, I continue to be ambivalent about the ultimate suitability of the vegan pads on the HE-6. 

But maybe I just installed them wrong. Or maybe my amp just isn't good enough. YMMV.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #18,490 of 21,868
great advice and much appreciated guys! I've placed my order!

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #18,491 of 21,868
  Thanks so much! Any issues installing the vegan pads that I should know about or is it pretty straight forward?

I second using the Vegan pads - you can use the supplied Audeze double stick tape to mount them directly to the cups (the preferred method many say) or use the HFM rings and use the tape to mount to the rings.  Either way the Audeze pads are the bomb.  Also, a member recommended mounting them to the pads, then sticking them to your shirt to effectively add a bit of lint to the ring to make removal easier.  Otherwise it may tear the pads............

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #18,492 of 21,868
I use double-sided tape on the back of the pads because it allows me to remove the pads and remount them without being committed to the initial mount as I would with the provided Audeze adhesive. I have used the same pieces of tape since August, and have removed and reaplied them several times due to swapping with the HE-500, modding, or transport. It is surprising how many times the pads may be removed and stuck back to the cup without needing to reapply tape. You will need to cut several strips of the tape and arrange them around the inner screen. The idea of sticking lint to the tape is brilliant, but I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps I am using a weaker adhesive tape. I would ultimately recommend using double-sided tape if you feel like you'll need to remove the pads for modding or re-placement. The only small drawback is that I can sometimes hear the annoying sound of tape crunching if I push the cups inward or sometimes when I put the headphones on and take them off. It gives a sort of cheap feel, but once listening, everything remains solidly in place and secure, with no slippage or sliding whatsoever.

As for the sonic effect of the Vegans, they seem to allow the drivers to convey greater depth of stage and vastly improve imaging to my ears. It is arguable whether the bass increases from the stock velour, which I think transmit more impact. The Vegans also slightly attenuate the brightness of the HE-6 even prior to sticking a felt ring behind them. The stock velours seem airier and brighter, more raw, but the staging is even harder left to right. As for the Focus pads (both versions) they work better on the HE-500/560 than they do the HE-6 IMO. But of course the Vegans may be applied to the HE-500 as well.

I find it hilarious when some people jest (or not) that the best thing Audeze released was, not headphones, but Vegan pads to be exploited by HE-6 lovers.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #18,493 of 21,868
I think some of my prejudice for velour and against vegan is having the HD800, which is the pretty much undisputed soundstage/imaging champ (with the potential exception of the K1K). I simply don't need the HE-6 to be more HD800-like; I need it to be different. I really just wanted pads that sounded like stock velour and felt like vegan.

Can you make those, Audeze? Please?

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #18,494 of 21,868
  I think some of my prejudice for velour and against vegan is having the HD800, which is the pretty much undisputed soundstage/imaging champ (with the potential exception of the K1K). I simply don't need the HE-6 to be more HD800-like; I need it to be different. I really just wanted pads that sounded like stock velour and felt like vegan.

Can you make those, Audeze? Please?

I see what you mean, but I still find the HE-6 with Vegan to be far different than the HD800; it's still an HE-6.  Also, I do like the stock velour's sound as well and can see why some people prefer them. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #18,495 of 21,868
  I see what you mean, but I still find the HE-6 with Vegan to be far different than the HD800; it's still an HE-6.  Also, I do like the stock velour's sound as well and can see why some people prefer them.

hi Junyuan!!! Great to hear from you!! You KNOW how much I respect and appreciate your advice and knowledge! Tks much for you input in re to the vegan pads. I actually enjoy the HE6's sound with the velour pads quite a bit  but they just are not comfortable enough for an extended listening session. Hope life is well!!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back