HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 11, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #16,201 of 21,868
I am French. helmet = Casque = Earphone

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #16,203 of 21,868
helmet = headphone

he is french

Thanks I did not know that. Words and how they are used never fails to fascinate me. Hope you have a good one jamming out.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #16,204 of 21,868
In French helmet and headphone is the same word. When he translated into English he picked the other word. :)
The same applies to some other Romance languages (i.e.: derived from latin), so while I found it quite funny in English, it was not very surprising to me, as I happen to speak one of those other languages natively.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #16,205 of 21,868
I am sorry, thank you for your comprehension.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #16,206 of 21,868
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #16,207 of 21,868
  Does anybody know if its true than the he 6 they have the same drivers as the he 560?

Thx

The HE-560 use single side magnets and a different driver.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #16,209 of 21,868
In French helmet and headphone is the same word. When he translated into English he picked the other word. :)
The same applies to some other Romance languages (i.e.: derived from latin), so while I found it quite funny in English, it was not very surprising to me, as I happen to speak one of those other languages natively.

+1 I think those, who speak two or more languages, have a more complex world view, than those who only speak one language. I wish I had learned a language before my accident.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #16,210 of 21,868
can some one please clarify the he-adapter what is the actual purpose is needed for the sake of connection or for safety? as I'm scared about pumping a speaker amp into the the HP's as i just received my adapter today and not sure if i needed it!

if so can i connect a spare receiver i got lying around to the HP or is that too much power?

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16,211 of 21,868
The adapter was made to offer a closer 8 ohm load to transformer coupled amps. It also burns power so that you can't over drive the headphone on a large wattage amp (80 watts or above). The only reason to burn power is if you have no headroom on your volume control. Meaning you have very little movement between making sound and being too loud and are attenuating the signal by burning power through a series resistor.

People have and are using speaker amps in excess of 100w without the adapter. If your source has a good volume control, you don't need the overpower burnoff. It impacts the dynamic response some. The headphone will draw only what's needed for the db you desire. If you are responsible with the volume knob, you don't need the extra load.

Tube amps can be transformer coupled output. If so, the higher impedance of the planars will draw more current across the transformer output, potentially frying the output windings. The vast majority of SS amps are not transformer coupled and do not need this. The load is dropped by using a parallel resistor.

The same thing can be done with your own resistors and for a lot cheaper than that box. My experience has been not to use the box. I have also blown a pair of HE-6s by making mistakes and giving too much signal strength to said high wattage amp. I've ran my 6s on a pair of 125 watt monoblocks for the life of them.

Of course this is my opinion.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #16,213 of 21,868
We can now safely scratch the Oppo HA-1 off the list of amps that you'll ever want to pair with the HE-6. Trying to crank the volume up all the way triggers the safety and the amp will shut itself off
rolleyes.gif

Soundwise... eh, it's ok, leaning slightly on the bright side. The dac pushes it even further in that regard (rather unbearable for me actually). I could see this unit being a nice match for LCD2/3, but not with Hifiman cans.

The features on the HA-1 are fantastic though. I'm really impressed there and can easily see this becoming the centrepiece of a home system.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #16,214 of 21,868
Agree with the OPPO HA-1.  I tried to run the HE6 just to see how it does and it was not so great and had to max out the volume just to get it up to listening levels.  But I run it through a warmer speaker amp on speaker taps and they sound pretty good.  I like the features so I'm happy with it for now. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #16,215 of 21,868
I actually preferred the headphone output on low gain. But yes, the functionality on the HA-1 is great. I've been playing around with the bluetooth and android interface, trying to pull some shenanigans with networked music using my phone to access my library on my computer, but also using the phone to control the HA-1... (it kills the battery life on my old phone, but still fun and convenient).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back