HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #16,171 of 21,873
Has anyone tried one of the B&K amps with HE6? Looks good on paper: class A, MOSFET, balanced...

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #16,172 of 21,873
My B&K (5720) isn't a Simaudio Moon but bettered my Rotels. It has plenty to satisfy the 6s. More of everything than the monoblocks. Unfortunately it runs my HT rig but should I run across a value 2 channel B&K I would be content.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #16,173 of 21,873
harman/kardon hk 770, it should be one from 80's or 90's. I got it for 120$ on craigslist and it works awesome with HE-6, I hear no clippings or noise and it is as dynamic as Krell KAV-400xi and more aggressive (probably needs some parts restored)

before moving to Krell, in past I had few emotiva amps. When Krell arrived it was much much better and difference so obvious, I did not even plug emotiva again and they got disappeared in sales forum.

harman/kardon hk 770 is real surprise to me, planning to get it restored. 

I still can't understand why using an headphone amp like lyr2 wouldn't result as good as a 20 years old speaker amp.
Maybe, we are lucky. :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #16,174 of 21,873
I'll be buying a HE-6 on Saturday, to pair with my NFB 28 for now. I'm buying it because as far as most people in threads on here, they are pretty much the kings for metal playback (I find Grados a bit shrill). Of course I listen to most genres out there other than metal too. Don't know why I put off getting a HE-6 for so long as I always enjoyed the HE500 but want more detail. Looking forward to hearing some of what these are capable of, speaker amp might come down the line from now.

The Emotiva mini-X is worth checking out at the very budget end of speaker amps.

For metal the HE-6 is awesome. I predict you will love it (if you feed it well).

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #16,175 of 21,873
I still can't understand why using an headphone amp like lyr2 wouldn't result as good as a 20 years old speaker amp.
Maybe, we are lucky.
biggrin.gif

Lyr1 was lousy with the HE-6. I can't say about the Lyr2 though.

The Emotiva mini-X is worth checking out at the very budget end of speaker amps.

If going for budget, grab a Topping amp for half the price and save yourself some deskspace. The Mini-X is nothing special (the Flex which replaced it is reportedly better, but I haven't heard it yet).

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #16,176 of 21,873
My B&K (5720) isn't a Simaudio Moon but bettered my Rotels. It has plenty to satisfy the 6s. More of everything than the monoblocks. Unfortunately it runs my HT rig but should I run across a value 2 channel B&K I would be content.

Thank you for your comment. I'm going to try it. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #16,178 of 21,873

If going for budget, grab a Topping amp for half the price and save yourself some deskspace. The Mini-X is nothing special (the Flex which replaced it is reportedly better, but I haven't heard it yet).

Will my new BHA-1 power the HE-6?

Responding to a previous post...I've owned the W4S Mono Amplifiers for HT.  Great stuff!  
Don't know how they are for headphones though.

Mike

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #16,180 of 21,873
  Will my new BHA-1 power the HE-6?

I haven't heard that partcular combo, but from reading on the forums it seems that the BHA-1 isn't quite the best match.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #16,183 of 21,873

Thanks,

Tp60 is very tempting.
Do you know any store which sells speaker tap (banana plug to xlr)?

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #16,184 of 21,873
Thanks,

Tp60 is very tempting.
Do you know any store which sells speaker tap (banana plug to xlr)?

Got mine at BTG Audio. In the build your own interconnect section.

http://www.btg-audio.com/webstore.htm

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #16,185 of 21,873
^^^^
BHA-1 short on power?

That's what I've read... but I'm just a parrot here. On paper it looks like there's enough grunt to push to high levels.

Can someone tell me which of the stock earpads have the foam ring inside?  Is it velour or is it pleather?

Both of mine did.

Tp60 is very tempting.

I was thinking one of the smaller models like the TP21. If you're moving up in size/cost, well I guess you're back to the mini-x/Flex comparisons again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back