HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 7, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #16,156 of 21,879
FWIW and for me the HE-6 on the right amp is much more enjoyable compared to the HD800.  Soundstage for classical music is about the only thing I will give the HD800 over the HE-6.  But soundstage for any other type of music I like the HE-6.  From there, you name it....  Bass, Midrange, highs, Vocals, Sub bass, weight, tone. all goes to the HE-6.  Air and imaging can be debated.  Being able to locate instruments = pick 'em..  

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #16,157 of 21,879
I've been thinking about getting the HE6 to complement my HD800 as well. Maybe it's the fault of the HifiMan dac and the EF6 amp, but when I tested both HPs with this setup, I clearly liked HD800 more. I guess I need to hear the HE6 with a better amp to hear it at its best. BTW, I don't really know much about the EF6 but the little I did read, it doesn't sound ideal for the HE6. Is this correct?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #16,158 of 21,879
Some people really like the amp, some people don't really care for it to much.  Depends on who you ask i guess.  Besides the EF-6 making a stock pair of HE-6 bright and non engaging, what about the HD800 did you like over the HE-6?

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #16,159 of 21,879
I should have waited until after my shower to make my post above so that could provide a little bit about my taste/preferences so that everyone can make better use of my thoughts.

I main headphone now is the HD800, which I use with a sabre dac and a tube amp, which I think is not a very 'tubey' amp. I haven't had a chance to A/B test my set up with any other set ups so I am hesitant to say how transparent my set up is. So this is what I am really used to hearing. But I really like just about everything about it except a little more hit to the bass, and that is all that I feel I am missing a little bit. But there are times with certain songs that the bass is just so excellent and exactly the way I like it. And when I listened to the store's HD800 with the EF6, the bass was more present than what I am used to at home. I will have to say that a few weeks ago, I gave a short test of my HD800 running off of the Headstage Arrow 5N portable dac/amp with bass added (set at I not II). THIS gave me that little bit of extra (consistent) bass that I 'think' I miss. I say think because I am not sure if I will actually like it on a consistent basis. I can listen to the HD800 on my own rig for hours without feeling fatigued.

I think it is also important for me to add that the sibilance that some others complain about on the HD800, is not an issue for me at all. I love the treble/highs of the HD800.

Not sure if I make sense but it is getting late here and I need to get to sleep. I hope this helps to put my earlier statement in better perspective.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #16,160 of 21,879
  Some people really like the amp, some people don't really care for it to much.  Depends on who you ask i guess.  Besides the EF-6 making a stock pair of HE-6 bright and non engaging, what about the HD800 did you like over the HE-6?

I hope the above helps.

And your comment "the EF-6 making a stock pair of HE-6 bright and non-engaging", I totally agree with the non-engaging part, as I expected a lot more based on my reading about the HE-6. But as you can see about my love of the highs of the HD800, to me, the HE-6 was not bright enough. But I guess you can see why I say that, now that you know what my preferences are in that area.

Thanks for your comments. I guess I really have to find the right set up when trying the HE-6. I'll see what other amp the store has that I can try.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #16,164 of 21,879

Really? For me, the EF6 dulled the HE-6s edge and robbed it of all detail.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #16,166 of 21,879
Guess it depends on where you've come from as to how the Hifiman amp performs. I thought it sounded flat with little space in the aoundstage. So many commented we were eccentric in our judgment comparing speaker amps to what the HE6 designer built specifically for it. After the dust settled, more comments have confirmed the EF6 is bettered. For the price of the EF6, you can do better for less with a decent used speaker amp.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #16,167 of 21,879
. For the price of the EF6, you can do better for less with a decent used speaker amp.

Can you name some of those options around 400$?
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shortlist of budget speaker amps that work well (making it more engaging and aggressive maybe) with he-6.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #16,168 of 21,879
I'll be buying a HE-6 on Saturday, to pair with my NFB 28 for now. I'm buying it because as far as most people in threads on here, they are pretty much the kings for metal playback (I find Grados a bit shrill). Of course I listen to most genres out there other than metal too. Don't know why I put off getting a HE-6 for so long as I always enjoyed the HE500 but want more detail. Looking forward to hearing some of what these are capable of, speaker amp might come down the line from now.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shortlist of budget speaker amps that work well (making it more engaging and aggressive maybe) with he-6.

The Emotiva mini-X is worth checking out at the very budget end of speaker amps.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #16,169 of 21,879

. For the price of the EF6, you can do better for less with a decent used speaker amp.

harman/kardon hk 770, it should be one from 80's or 90's. I got it for 120$ on craigslist and it works awesome with HE-6, I hear no clippings or noise and it is as dynamic as Krell KAV-400xi and more aggressive (probably needs some parts restored)

before moving to Krell, in past I had few emotiva amps. When Krell arrived it was much much better and difference so obvious, I did not even plug emotiva again and they got disappeared in sales forum.

harman/kardon hk 770 is real surprise to me, planning to get it restored. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #16,170 of 21,879
FWIW and for me the HE-6 on the right amp is much more enjoyable compared to the HD800.  Soundstage for classical music is about the only thing I will give the HD800 over the HE-6.  But soundstage for any other type of music I like the HE-6.  From there, you name it....  Bass, Midrange, highs, Vocals, Sub bass, weight, tone. all goes to the HE-6.  Air and imaging can be debated.  Being able to locate instruments = pick 'em..  

All that and yes imo imaging is 50-50 as the instrument focus is better on the He-6s. It is just the bigger soundstage imo where the hd800s win, but that is also situational, as while the hd800 deal well with big, they dont scale it down just as well when called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back