HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #15,706 of 21,868
Make sure the felt you use is thin and doesn't cover any part of the openings in the magnet grill. The felt should be 3.5mm wide. 4mm is too wide and 3mm too narrow. If the felt is 4mm or not precisely positioned it will absorb too much treble.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #15,708 of 21,868
Make sure the felt you use is thin and doesn't cover any part of the openings in the magnet grill. The felt should be 3.5mm wide. 4mm is too wide and 3mm too narrow. If the felt is 4mm or not precisely positioned it will absorb too much treble.

Thanks for chiming in LarsHP, yes, it was cut @ 3.5mm with new xacto blade.  The only other part of applying the felt that I feel is rather iffy was the four extreme corners where there are small cut-outs in addition to the part that covers the edge of the ring part.  These were covering up a tiny portion as I did not follow the cut-outs.

Perhaps I will start to remove some felts pieces a few at a time to see what effects it have.  Any suggestions as to where to start first - center going out toward edge of vice versa?

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #15,709 of 21,868
Yep, it was the 1mm stiff felt as was referenced by another member.  Too bad I don't have any measurement equipment that will allow me to see objectively i.e. freq response instead of relying on my old ears!

Switch to the normal felt. Stiff felt does not work unless maybe you used a little.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #15,710 of 21,868
  Yep, it was the 1mm stiff felt as was referenced by another member.  Too bad I don't have any measurement equipment that will allow me to see objectively i.e. freq response instead of relying on my old ears!

That might have been me - apologies if it was. I was using the 'hard' felt and mine wasn't quite right in the treble. I have replaced the felt with the same adhesive foam I used for the HD800 mod as I don't have any 'soft' adhesive felt on hand. Treble is now back and quite wonderful sounding. Mids are great too, but I seem to have lost some bass punch.

I might try removing a small amount of the foam damping and see what happens. There has to be a happy balance point for the treble vs bass.

Can't believe I have lived with a defective mod for months in blissful ignorance
blink.gif

EDIT - I have stripped away about 20% of the fuzzor damping and that seems about perfect for me. The highs and mids are still excellent and the bass is back with punch and slam (when the music calls for it). Couldn't be happier with how this has turned out. Please keep in mind I am using adhesive foam - not the soft or hard felt. I am guessing the foam is more absorbent that the either type of felt, so it makes sense that I need quite a bit less of it.

I'll post a pic if folks are interested - just let me know.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #15,713 of 21,868
Jan 28, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #15,715 of 21,868

Has anyone with the HE-6 replaced their plastic rings, with the new metal rings from the Head-direct website?

If so, what were the results?

Do you mean this thing : 

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=238

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #15,716 of 21,868

Has anyone with the HE-6 replaced their plastic rings, with the new metal rings from the Head-direct website?

If so, what were the results?

Do you mean this thing : 

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=238

Yup, those ship with the HE-560 and HE-400I. They are supposed the make a better seal with the earpads, improve bass/sound!

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #15,717 of 21,868

Yup, those ship with the HE-560 and HE-400I. They are supposed the make a better seal with the earpads, improve bass/sound!

What's with the screws?  Is it replacing something? 

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #15,718 of 21,868

I don't think they are supposed to fit on the older Hifiman headphones.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #15,719 of 21,868
Some foam goodness. Not pretty - I hacked the foam with scissors - but it works very well.

The foam provides very strong damping - I found it better to be too thin than too thick in the cutting - so I aimed at 3mm (or less). Doesn't seem to matter much sonically if the foam is thinner than the support structure it sits on - it still does the job.

I removed 4 strips to get the bass back. I think this is close to ideal for me - I might remove another 1 or 2 strips for more bass after some more testing (but maybe not - it sounds pretty good as is).

EDIT - I am getting some sibilance and treble harshness - not a lot, but enough to notice. I will hunt down some 'soft' adhesive felt and do the fuzzor again then.

For now, this is a much, much better result than the 'hard' felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back