HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #15,737 of 21,868
My Audeze vegan pads arrived today - they shipped it to me in Japan fast.  I taped one to the ring; the other I fit on the ring like the hfm pads.  I like the way the taped pad rotates freely.  After my aluminum rings come from hfm, I`ll figure out how to apply the pads more permanently.  Nice of audeze to include 4 rings of double-sided tape.  

So I finally have what I consider to be all the ingredients in place for my modded HE-6 project.  Naturally I decided to have a long listening session, and do some comparisons with my beloved HD800.  

The HD800 loves the Andix tube amp.  I had several variations for A-Bing: The HE-6 is running via its XLR4 plug to the Andix`s speaker taps; the HD800 is running from the Andix`s low-impedence single-ended headphone output.  So I can A-B just by lowering volume and turning a switch.  

For source, I was using my AK120ii with twin SirrusLogic dacs, from its single-ended output to the Andix.  Alternately, the AK transports to the Andix via optical cable.  The guy here who built the Andix put some 24/192 dac in it and swore it`s `super-musical` but I don`t know exaclty what it is . . .   

So there I was, all set up, listening to a wide range of my faves, when I was floored by two realizations:  

1.  I am ridiculously lucky to have these two phones here ! 
2.  I think I may actually sell the HD800.  

That second realization really was a shocker.  I never thought it would cross my mind to sell the HD800.  The difference between the HE-6 and HD800 is fascinating for me: my modded HE-6 seems to have EVERYTHING the HD800 does, with that extra bass weight. . .    I really love the complex sound coming out of my HE-6.  The HD800, with some stuff, sounded like detail for details sake; the HE-6 always seemed liket it was outputting MUSIC . . .   

I know you all have been here, or somewhere very similar, before.  

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #15,738 of 21,868
  My Audeze vegan pads arrived today - they shipped it to me in Japan fast.  I taped one to the ring; the other I fit on the ring like the hfm pads.  I like the way the taped pad rotates freely.  After my aluminum rings come from hfm, I`ll figure out how to apply the pads more permanently.  Nice of audeze to include 4 rings of double-sided tape.  

So I finally have what I consider to be all the ingredients in place for my modded HE-6 project.  Naturally I decided to have a long listening session, and do some comparisons with my beloved HD800.  

The HD800 loves the Andix tube amp.  I had several variations for A-Bing: The HE-6 is running via its XLR4 plug to the Andix`s speaker taps; the HD800 is running from the Andix`s low-impedence single-ended headphone output.  So I can A-B just by lowering volume and turning a switch.  

For source, I was using my AK120ii with twin SirrusLogic dacs, from its single-ended output to the Andix.  Alternately, the AK transports to the Andix via optical cable.  The guy here who built the Andix put some 24/192 dac in it and swore it`s `super-musical` but I don`t know exaclty what it is . . .   

So there I was, all set up, listening to a wide range of my faves, when I was floored by two realizations:  

1.  I am ridiculously lucky to have these two phones here ! 
2.  I think I may actually sell the HD800.  

That second realization really was a shocker.  I never thought it would cross my mind to sell the HD800.  The difference between the HE-6 and HD800 is fascinating for me: my modded HE-6 seems to have EVERYTHING the HD800 does, with that extra bass weight. . .    I really love the complex sound coming out of my HE-6.  The HD800, with some stuff, sounded like detail for details sake; the HE-6 always seemed liket it was outputting MUSIC . . .   

I know you all have been here, or somewhere very similar, before.  

What mods have you done other than the Audeze pads?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #15,740 of 21,868

Open-grilling and fuzzor.  Also a lot of headband manipulation to make them fit well.   (The HD800 still kills it in that department, of course)

Have you considered Lohb's headband mod?  Truly a great improvement. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #15,741 of 21,868

Have you considered Lohb's headband mod?  Truly a great improvement. 

Yeah it looks awesome, but I think I`m going to try to make my own.  I really like the super-wide headband on the old SONY full size cans, and also the SR-009.  I may try to DIY one of those onto the HE-6 . . .   

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #15,742 of 21,868
If you're a one can listener, it would come down to how they feel after long listening sessions. I use my headrest to support the cans once in position. I'm not a big mover once anchored (couch lock) as most of my headphone listening time is in the evenings. I've heard those 800s with plenty of amps and they are worthy of one can ownership. Once you start refining the rig to match your listening preferences, it's hard to keep it multi-functional for the best sound with all headphones. And we know how we do it, no compromise with the "A" rig. I also came to the conclusion the HE-6s are my preferred sound.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #15,743 of 21,868
If you're a one can listener, it would come down to how they feel after long listening sessions. I use my headrest to support the cans once in position. I'm not a big mover once anchored (couch lock) as most of my headphone listening time is in the evenings. I've heard those 800s with plenty of amps and they are worthy of one can ownership. Once you start refining the rig to match your listening preferences, it's hard to keep it multi-functional for the best sound with all headphones. And we know how we do it, no compromise with the "A" rig. I also came to the conclusion the HE-6s are my preferred sound.

I was also a one-can listener, for 1.5 years, with the HD800. Coming from the Denon D2K, the HD800 was another world.  After getting it, I listened to lots of other headphones, some nice, but I alway thought, `what is the point`? when I`ve got my baby waiting at home . . .  I heard the HE-560 and the Audezes; wasn`t thrilled.  Then last month in Bangkok I had those two sessions with an HE-6 and was completely distracted: seemed like I finally found something that I didn`t know was missing, that I didn`t know I was looking for.  

I think I can live with the HE-6 as my one and only home `phone, the same way that I`ve been happy with the HD.  And, I don`t like to collect things.  I recently picke up a Beyer T5P, in a junk bin of all places, which is great mobile closed phone.  So now 3 high end phones on my desk : it`s too much.  

Plus, if I sell the HD800, I can upgrade my Fostex speakers . . . 

The real headphone battle will come in a day or two when my speaker-selector arrives and I can run them from my Denon PMA-S1 : 

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #15,748 of 21,868
  Where do you guys get your black Vegan pads?  I got the Audeze vegan pads and they are brown.

ooops, did you order the brown one intentionally ? I personally liked the black vegan pads. When you order you can specify the black color.
Maybe you can return it for black one.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #15,750 of 21,868

ooops, did you order the brown one intentionally ? I personally liked the black vegan pads. When you order you can specify the black color.
Maybe you can return it for black one.

I ordered them from an online retailer because I was getting other non-Audeze accessories.  I didn't realize there were black pads until I saw this thread.  No biggie, but the black look better for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back