HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 23, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #15,691 of 21,868
That's the Raign 24.  That an older pic without the grill mod.  It looks better now with the mod.
I'm very curious on the installation of the 24. I know the solder hole is only big enough for a single 24 gauge wire. How did they land the other 23 wires inside the can housing? I'm guessing it's been soldered to a single strand insert. I can say there is a smoother and more refined sound from Pre's pair.

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #15,692 of 21,868
I'm very curious on the installation of the 24. I know the solder hole is only big enough for a single 24 gauge wire. How did they land the other 23 wires inside the can housing? I'm guessing it's been soldered to a single strand insert. I can say there is a smoother and more refined sound from Pre's pair.

Dave,  it's not just a signle strand.  He got all of it in there.  First he called me and told me the risk - I told him to go ahaed.  FraGGleR (Justin) is the bomb.

Quote:

your he6 is beautiful, I wish I can do the same. :) 

You can.  Just get the right people to do it..

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #15,694 of 21,868
I can FEEL that I am wearing my modded HE-6 on my head, but I can't hear it! The 'phone has practically no sound of it's own! Now THAT's impressive! I am impressed beyond words.

Okay. I can hear that sounds appear differently than when hearing real sounds around me, but I don't believe that the sounds come from drivers (and certainly not close to my ear). When I had LCD-2 (r2) I thought they sounded very good, but I always knew I listened to headphones. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #15,696 of 21,868
Came this close to buying the STAX lambskin 007 pads today - 8300yen or $70 but held off at the last minute - tantric STAX denial.  I am having a hard time waiting for the Audeze pads to arrive . . .   

What was the consensus (if any) on the STAX pads?  Worth it?  They sure are nice . . . .

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #15,697 of 21,868
  The housing is crap. The connectors are crap. The headband is crap.

The drivers are superb (when well driven).

The housing is certainly no definitive aesthetic statement; and the driver connectors inability to stay fastened is definitely annoying from time to time. Fortunately, Lohb's leather band, which I've been using for several months, largely solves the headband problems. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #15,699 of 21,868

I listen to mine everyday for over 4 years now, I never had any single problem. Sure the copper wire is a little greenish but that does not affect the sound in any way.

I enjoy HE6 more than HD800 last few months :) it's just silky smooth in every instruments I hear with HE6. 
And the quality of the bass on HE6 is lot better than TH900 imo, it just sounds more organic to me. :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #15,700 of 21,868

The housing is crap. The connectors are crap. The headband is crap.

The drivers are superb (when well driven).

The housing is certainly no definitive aesthetic statement; and the driver connectors inability to stay fastened is definitely annoying from time to time. Fortunately, Lohb's leather band, which I've been using for several months, largely solves the headband problems. 

Okay, this is the second time I've come across mention of Lohb's band , but i can't seem to find any posting outlining
how to make it.

Could someone point out where to find this as I prefer suspension type headbands & my HE-6 could certainly use one
(Now that I've done a few of the mods (my own versions of Fuzzor ("Damper") Ear Pad replacement (AKG 702 pads)
& "No-grille"(literally) Re grille Mod. Time to finish it off with a headband I think works better for me)

What page is this info on ?

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #15,701 of 21,868
Okay, this is the second time I've come across mention of Lohb's band , but i can't seem to find any posting outlining
how to make it.

Could someone point out where to find this as I prefer suspension type headbands & my HE-6 could certainly use one
(Now that I've done a few of the mods (my own versions of Fuzzor ("Damper") Ear Pad replacement (AKG 702 pads)
& "No-grille"(literally) Re grille Mod. Time to finish it off with a headband I think works better for me)

Sorry, I'm on mobile or I'd post the link to his ad for sale. Go to his (Lohb) member profile and you'll see his ad. Well worth the $.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #15,702 of 21,868
how to make it.

He also sells on eBay, just search for 'suspension strap for hifiman'

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #15,703 of 21,868
how to make it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729774/suspension-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-mad-dog-alpha-dog-paradox-fostex-t50-rp-modders

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #15,704 of 21,868

Fuzzor was important in that it made the image cohesive.

Hey ohhourami, I read about these mods on your HE-6.  Just want to have feedback from what you've done since I just completed the full Fuzzor mod with similar initial impressions of loss upper treble with Vegan pad.  Interesetingly, the bass has gone down slightly too which is quite opposite of what most of H-6's modders achieved.  I have also used the tape ring and mounting the pads directly without the original plastic ring.

With the 1/4 disc felt and foam piece removed, I applied the full Fuzzor felt mod and after attaching the Vegan pad back, my immediate impression was a hugh loss of upper treble to the point of sound worst than my LCD 2.2!  And this is with a fully open grill mod too!  I decided to try the leather version of the LCD pad and a good part of the treble came back.  This pretty much confirms that the Fuzzor as we all already know that it dampens and control the high freqs.  However, it seems as if  the Vegan is an additional dampening material to reduce the highs further.

At the moment I prefer the leather LCD pad since it brought back the missing highs but still like the softness of the Vegan.  I am thinking of removing some of the Fuzzor felt as some of you have already done and determine what is a good compromise for my ears.  I am still trying to understand why Hifiman placed that 1/4 disc felt where it was - does it also affect bass response or strictly controlling the mid to upper range behavior??

Also looking at your freq response, you've gained 2-3 dB on the low end after the mod or was it due to some other mods?

Anyway, this hobby is great and keeps getting more interesting now with the HEK on the horizon!!

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #15,705 of 21,868
  Hey ohhourami, I read about these mods on your HE-6.  Just want to have feedback from what you've done since I just completed the full Fuzzor mod with similar initial impressions of loss upper treble with Vegan pad.  Interesetingly, the bass has gone down slightly too which is quite opposite of what most of H-6's modders achieved.  I have also used the tape ring and mounting the pads directly without the original plastic ring.

With the 1/4 disc felt and foam piece removed, I applied the full Fuzzor felt mod and after attaching the Vegan pad back, my immediate impression was a hugh loss of upper treble to the point of sound worst than my LCD 2.2!  And this is with a fully open grill mod too!  I decided to try the leather version of the LCD pad and a good part of the treble came back.  This pretty much confirms that the Fuzzor as we all already know that it dampens and control the high freqs.  However, it seems as if  the Vegan is an additional dampening material to reduce the highs further.

At the moment I prefer the leather LCD pad since it brought back the missing highs but still like the softness of the Vegan.  I am thinking of removing some of the Fuzzor felt as some of you have already done and determine what is a good compromise for my ears.  I am still trying to understand why Hifiman placed that 1/4 disc felt where it was - does it also affect bass response or strictly controlling the mid to upper range behavior??

Also looking at your freq response, you've gained 2-3 dB on the low end after the mod or was it due to some other mods?

Anyway, this hobby is great and keeps getting more interesting now with the HEK on the horizon!!

Sounds like you used the stiff felt instead of the normal felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back