= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #20,927 of 21,171
Hello all, new here. I just ordered the HE-560 v4 from Adorama. I think I screwed up with the XLR cable I ordered though but can't find any definitive info on whether the headphones use 2.5mm or 3.5mm connectors. I ordered dual 2.5mm to male XLR to connect to a Magnius/Modius Schiit Stack, also on order. Thanks.
I can confirm that the 560 V4 uses 3.5mm connectors. :)

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #20,928 of 21,171
Yes, saw that. But I thought I read the V1's use 2.5, hence my dilemma, they're inconsistent. I'm a dingbat, I'm pretty sure I ordered the wrong (expensive) cable, 2.5mm. Newbie mistake.

Basically, since v2, and across their line, they've moved from 2.5mm to 3.5mm, but I'm sorry to hear you got the wrong cable, it's understandable given that they've changed connectors more than once! (I have a v1 that is even older that uses SMC connectors!)

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #20,929 of 21,171
To confuse you further V1's used screw on connectors, V2 was 2.5. :wink:

To confuse people even more, what constitutes "v2" depends on whom you ask, some people use "v2" to mean the first Adorama variant with the shorter headband, and v3 being the Adorama with the "fixed" headband that accommodated larger heads, and the difference between the original (with SMC connectors) being called v1 and the one with 2.5mm being a sub variant of v1... :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #20,931 of 21,171
Thanks for the cable info guys.

Next question, got a magnius/modius stack to go with my he-560. I've read the planar loves power. Is this enough to drive it to its fullest? Or did I screw that up too?

Nah, you'll have power for days with that Magnius. At their impedance of 45 ohm, you'll have more than 2.5W on single-ended and 6.5W on balanced. My amp is exactly half as powerful and it drives them no problem.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #20,932 of 21,171
Yes, saw that. But I thought I read the V1's use 2.5, hence my dilemma, they're inconsistent. I'm a dingbat, I'm pretty sure I ordered the wrong (expensive) cable, 2.5mm. Newbie mistake.
e, but I'd guess with 99% certainty that the V4 uses 3.5mm connectors. Adorama's site doesn't say. Hopefully someone with the V4 can chime in.
The V3 for sure uses 3.5mm

FYI on old notes...

2019 May 28 (DavidA)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1378#post-14978690

Version 1: quite rare, wood cup, SMC jack, focus-a pads
Version 2: wood veneer, SMC jack, focus pads
Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)
Version 4: no veneer, 3.5mm jack, focus pads

Above is what I can remember reading this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #20,933 of 21,171
FYI on old notes...

2019 May 28 (DavidA)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1378#post-14978690

Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)

Above is what I can remember reading this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info
Thank you. I did search the forum before posting but I didn't find this. Lots of info here to go through. :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #20,934 of 21,171
FYI on old notes...

2019 May 28 (DavidA)

The extraordinarily handsome gentleman quoted below has a slightly different list, collated from information about two years ago now. More discussion followed the original post, so it's worth a visit back in time.

Don't stress.

HiFiMan v1: SMC connectors, backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, basically unavailable these days.
HiFiMan v2: 2.5mm connectors, no backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, slightly revoiced, about $300 in the US.
Adorama v2/v3: 3.5mm connectors, no backplate, plastic cups, metal yokes, major revoicing (according to many), price varies but around $300 on sale. Differences between these two very close models detailed in a post below.

Get the v2. That's the easiest to find, usually the cheapest, and it's the one that people are talking about when they talk about the 560. Meaning, reviews and user impressions will be more accurate. They are also said to sound better than the v3, from what I've read.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #20,935 of 21,171
I ordered HE400i 2020 version to compare and keep the HE400i if there aren't much difference, but I decided to keep HE560. Overall, 560 has better and balanced sound than HE400i. Quantity of bass is not as much as 400i but the quality is much better. Also, treble is much smoother. I noticed some treble on 400i was sharp but not on 560. Also has better sound stage So it's clear upgrade from 400i, but I can see why some people would prefer 400i. $899 MSRP is just absurd, but at $269, it's definitely a keeper.
btw, I'm running this with iFi Zen Dac and Zen Can with 4.4mm balanced cable.

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #20,936 of 21,171
Hmmm I need to listen to it more... do planars need burn-in or no? Because this is straight out of the box, I need to dig out my stock cable for the V1s too and maybe even use the same pads for both sets since my older ones are noticeable slimmer than the new ones.

So far, it seems like the V4 sounds a tiny bit more U-shaped out of the box compared to my V1; female vocals sound more full as a result on the V1 but maybe it's just slightly pushed back on the V4 because of the pads.

Anyways, I gotta do more listening and make it apples to apples by using same pads and both stock cables. I got a feeling it might be the Norne Draug cable I got on the V1 that's the difference also.

Did changing pads or cables bring the vocals forward? I've had the v4s for a few days connected to a Modi/Magni. My only complaint would be with the vocals which seemed recessed.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #20,937 of 21,171
Did changing pads or cables bring the vocals forward? I've had the v4s for a few days connected to a Modi/Magni. My only complaint would be with the vocals which seemed recessed.

Nope, I changed the pads to the older pair and noticed the same thing. There's too many variables with my two sets.. wooden cups vs. plastic, age of drivers, connection types, etc. I also doubt I would notice the difference between them if I didn't have them to A/B. I ended up returning the V4 because my sound kept cutting out if I moved my head with the music and went for the HE6se instead.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #20,938 of 21,171
Okay, I will break them in for a couple days and compare again.

No backplate on the V1, I just swapped pads and put back the stock cable. Will listen again while the V4s are breaking in. Just for the record, if I didn't have these to A/B I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, there's nothing that jumps out as different so I am basically just nit-picking earlier while the cable and pads were different + broken in vs new headphones.
Did you find any sound differences b/w the two versions?

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #20,939 of 21,171
I received my 560v4's about a week ago and I absolutely love the sound they produce. A definite step up from the 4XX's. My only complaint is the headband. It causes a hot spot at the top of my head. I never would've guessed it would cause pain as the cheap tensile steel band on the 4XX's provides hours of comfort. Anyone else hate the v4 headband?

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #20,940 of 21,171
I have done some light listening (Christmas music, of course) to my new 560 v4 and comparing it to my 2018 Sundara. Granted that I only have a very limited amount of head time no in depth comparison possible. I like the SQ of the 560, but the sound seems a bit leaner than the Sundara, thus I think I prefer the Sundara. I feel the 560 have more swivel to the earpads and thus it feels like they provide a better seal, whether or not there is any real difference. I do think both are comfortable for me.

More listening to do, and I hope to post some real impressions. I can say that I don't regret the purchase of either headphone, and I look forward to many hours of enjoyment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back