= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #20,911 of 21,171
Anyone giving a shot on HE560 v4 from Adorama? I’m very curious to see how it compares against other HE560s...
I did order one, mostly so I could mod my HE-500. Maybe not my most financially smart decision, but I do love the Deva style headband comfort. I also have a V3 HE-560, I doubt there will be much of a difference between the two in terms of sound though, at least with the same Focus pads.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #20,912 of 21,171
Got mine in this morning and snapped some pics. I love the new updated look, very smooth and flashy but also love the looks of the older one too.. kinda like a classic car look.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg7.jpg5.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #20,913 of 21,171
Got mine in this morning and snapped some pics. I love the new updated look, very smooth and flashy but also love the looks of the older one too.. kinda like a classic car look.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg5.jpg

The V4 definitely looks nicer and the headband seems plush. Can you do some comparisons? I was going to buy the V3, read they don't use the same drivers as V1/V2 so I passed. I have the V1 with the 2.5mm cables and it sounds very good.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #20,914 of 21,171
The V4 definitely looks nicer and the headband seems plush. Can you do some comparisons? I was going to buy the V3, read they don't use the same drivers as V1/V2 so I passed. I have the V1 with the 2.5mm cables and it sounds very good.

Hmmm I need to listen to it more... do planars need burn-in or no? Because this is straight out of the box, I need to dig out my stock cable for the V1s too and maybe even use the same pads for both sets since my older ones are noticeable slimmer than the new ones.

So far, it seems like the V4 sounds a tiny bit more U-shaped out of the box compared to my V1; female vocals sound more full as a result on the V1 but maybe it's just slightly pushed back on the V4 because of the pads.

Anyways, I gotta do more listening and make it apples to apples by using same pads and both stock cables. I got a feeling it might be the Norne Draug cable I got on the V1 that's the difference also.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #20,916 of 21,171
Hmmm I need to listen to it more... do planars need burn-in or no? Because this is straight out of the box, I need to dig out my stock cable for the V1s too and maybe even use the same pads for both sets since my older ones are noticeable slimmer than the new ones.

So far, it seems like the V4 sounds a tiny bit more U-shaped out of the box compared to my V1; female vocals sound more full as a result on the V1 but maybe it's just slightly pushed back on the V4 because of the pads.

Anyways, I gotta do more listening and make it apples to apples by using same pads and both stock cables. I got a feeling it might be the Norne Draug cable I got on the V1 that's the difference also.

Does your v1 have the backplate? Because that would definitely alter the sound a bit too. If not, it's probably the different wear on the pads producing a difference in sound. You know, the Sennheiser effect. :smile:

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #20,917 of 21,171
they do, i got he400i and without break in they sounded a bit dry and bass light, after a couple of days playing the bass was improved and the overall timber was fuller and more natural

Okay, I will break them in for a couple days and compare again.

Does your v1 have the backplate? Because that would definitely alter the sound a bit too. If not, it's probably the different wear on the pads producing a difference in sound. You know, the Sennheiser effect. :smile:

No backplate on the V1, I just swapped pads and put back the stock cable. Will listen again while the V4s are breaking in. Just for the record, if I didn't have these to A/B I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, there's nothing that jumps out as different so I am basically just nit-picking earlier while the cable and pads were different + broken in vs new headphones.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #20,918 of 21,171

Every mylar membrane speaker or can I have had new has obvious signs of break-in. Not heard with ribbons or AMT. Woofers over 6" show marked changes in excursion and sound at the lowest frequencies. The doubters are all wet in those cases.

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #20,919 of 21,171
I also got the V4 from Adorama's deal, and received them the other day. I've only listened for a few hours so need to spend more time with them to give better impressions. So far I'm enjoying them a good amount. The color and finish is cooler in person than in the pics, it's pretty slick looking to me. These are very lightweight, and I find them to be quite comfortable. The pads are angled and have good depth and my ears don't touch anything (I'm very very sensitive to this). For reference, I sold my HD6XX because I couldn't stand my ears touching. The pads were way too shallow. Anyway, for the Hifiman I absolutely hate the stock cable. It's too short, and way too stiff (kinks easily). The right channel was cutting out after a few minutes with the cans plugged in to my Beyerdynamic A2 amp... turned out it was the 1/4" adapter that came with the cans, didn't fit properly to make contact so every time I moved it got intermittent. I swapped the cable out temporarily with an aftermarket cable that's longer anyway and the issue is resolved. Initially these seemed a bit bright to my ears, and my first immediate impression was that the treble recalled the 1st gen T1 that I had. But, after a couple hours I've found that I'm actually OK with the treble. I think I'll really enjoy these with a little more time to assess them.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #20,921 of 21,171
I just got the V4 as well and been listening for few hours. This is my first Hifiman set, so can't compare with other versions, but so far I really like the sound, very detailed and good amount of bass. Also, it does takes a lot of power (running highest gain on Zen Can). It's pretty comfortable and looks better in person as others have said.
Edit: forgot to mention that I'm running balanced...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #20,922 of 21,171
Hello all, new here. I just ordered the HE-560 v4 from Adorama. I think I screwed up with the XLR cable I ordered though but can't find any definitive info on whether the headphones use 2.5mm or 3.5mm connectors. I ordered dual 2.5mm to male XLR to connect to a Magnius/Modius Schiit Stack, also on order. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #20,923 of 21,171
Hello all, new here. I just ordered the HE-560 v4 from Adorama. I think I screwed up with the XLR cable I ordered though but can't find any definitive info on whether the headphones use 2.5mm or 3.5mm connectors. I ordered dual 2.5mm to male XLR to connect to a Magnius/Modius Schiit Stack, also on order. Thanks.
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess with 99% certainty that the V4 uses 3.5mm connectors. Adorama's site doesn't say. Hopefully someone with the V4 can chime in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back