= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 28, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #20,176 of 21,179
After noticing this I also did, as you suggest, a sweep and the scratching is quite easily noticeable and very bothersome between 30 and 100Hz on louder volumes.

Awww man, that's too bad. I can't believe how many failures they're having from this batch. All I can say is that if you can stick it out, I still think they're more than worth it at $300. Adorama paid for shipping both ways when I had to replace, although I'm not sure that holds true for overseas shipping.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #20,177 of 21,179
Looking back I did pay quite a bit more for my HE560 but it seems like it was worth it since I haven't had any issue with them, pads are still in great condition and sound wise a few friends who have newer versions say it doesn't sound as good as mine when they borrowed mine.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #20,178 of 21,179
Cheers to that
IMG_20180925_223847519.jpg

Sep 29, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #20,179 of 21,179
We'll see.
Hifiman adviced me to check the drivers for hair before sending them back. I'll have a look but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #20,180 of 21,179
Looking back I did pay quite a bit more for my HE560 but it seems like it was worth it since I haven't had any issue with them, pads are still in great condition and sound wise a few friends who have newer versions say it doesn't sound as good as mine when they borrowed mine.

I feel the same way. I have the smc connectors and as annoying as they are I'm happy with the build quality. It sucks that there are quality issues however. These would be such a crazy bargain at $300 if they worked properly. I know there are better headphones out there however I haven't had the need to purchase something else.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #20,181 of 21,179
I was actually thinking of getting some new pads made by Vesper Audio.
Already got some new pads for my L500 from them that I adore, and waiting for them to get back to me about some new pads for my MJ2.
So if I take a liking to the HR-560 I'll probably get some custom made for them too, maybe orange or something to go with the (slightly garish, to my tastes) color scheme of the new HE-560.

Well, I was going to quote this but then saw your later replies -- if you do end up resolving the issue and keep the HE560, I recommend the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. I have the one that they make for the Fostex TH-series but they not make a model for Hifiman as well. It's really the same pad, but the Hifiman one comes with the adapter ring already. It's a great alternative to the Focus A pad. Super comfortable and well made.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #20,182 of 21,179
Well I got my pair today, and I'm quite disappointed to report that there is indeed a problem with them.
I have a couple of songs I use to try and get a feel for how headphones handle different frequencies.
One of my favourites for testing the bass is Jeff Beck's "Morning", and with my new HE-560 there is an awful scratching noise on louder bass notes.
After noticing this I also did, as you suggest, a sweep and the scratching is quite easily noticeable and very bothersome between 30 and 100Hz on louder volumes.

I've contacted Hifiman to see if they can help me out, if not I'm probably returning these to Adorama.
Though since I'm in Norway, at the other end of the Atlantic from Adorama in New York, I'd rather avoid spending too much on International shipping.

What a turd sandwich this turned out to be.
Ah sorry to hear that! My first pair had a minor band adjustment issue and crinkling of the driver when moving my head so I exchanged it. My 2nd pair, which I think fell into the V3 timeframe as the band is significantly longer, is perfect and I think they sound excellent. Although I'd prefer slightly more bass, at 299 and if it works properly, I think they're a very good deal.

Too many issues for people though it seems, but I guess a few of us got lucky.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #20,183 of 21,179
We'll see.
Hifiman adviced me to check the drivers for hair before sending them back. I'll have a look but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Fwiw it's worth I had a rattling issue on my pair when I got them a long time ago and Hifiman advised me the same and it did actually solve the issue for me and I haven't had a single issue with them since so there may still be hope.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #20,185 of 21,179
Mine went to USA (sub bass rattle on right driver) and then a new phone was sent to me from China. No biggie.

Are you in Norway as well? One issue over here is that international shipping and taxes are both very expensive and because of that sending stuff back and forth is pretty much the last resort and will possibly cost more than the headphones themselves in this case.....

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #20,186 of 21,179
Are you in Norway as well? One issue over here is that international shipping and taxes are both very expensive and because of that sending stuff back and forth is pretty much the last resort and will possibly cost more than the headphones themselves in this case.....

No. I'm from Chile. Mark gave me detailed instructions for packaging (no box, no accessories, no pads) and a specific value to declare (exchange). Everything went fine.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #20,187 of 21,179
I feel the same way. I have the smc connectors and as annoying as they are I'm happy with the build quality. It sucks that there are quality issues however. These would be such a crazy bargain at $300 if they worked properly. I know there are better headphones out there however I haven't had the need to purchase something else.
I find the old style smc connectors a poor design choice. It's not even as secure as the 3.5 or 2.5mm jacks for signal contact. I notice with my HE500 when the cable gets pulled, one side sound cuts off. Even looking at my HE500 or others like similar form factor (of the old series), I can picture him and his buddy going to the local hardware store to pick up everything to make those headphones. LOL.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #20,188 of 21,179

More Norwegians?
Well I'll be damned. Det er faenmæ nordmenn overalt!

International shipping can be a total pain in the posterior.
Though, surely we don't have to pay VAT on replacement products?

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #20,189 of 21,179
More Norwegians?
Well I'll be damned. Det er faenmæ nordmenn overalt!

International shipping can be a total pain in the posterior.
Though, surely we don't have to pay VAT on replacement products?

I'm originally Swedish but I've lived in Norway for over 20 years now :wink:

Yes and no for your question. If you get export documents for your damaged pair as a proof that you've actually shipped them it shouldn't be a problem but I honestly don't know where to even get that for a private person (that's not a company). Sjekk toll.no, maybe there's some advice there.

I'd still try to remove the screws and very gently blew into tho open driver sideways , that solved the rattle issue for me.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #20,190 of 21,179
I find the old style smc connectors a poor design choice. It's not even as secure as the 3.5 or 2.5mm jacks for signal contact. I notice with my HE500 when the cable gets pulled, one side sound cuts off. Even looking at my HE500 or others like similar form factor (of the old series), I can picture him and his buddy going to the local hardware store to pick up everything to make those headphones. LOL.
I've found the 2.5mm and 3.5mm more prone to failure than the SMC, I've had to replace a few 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks on various gear for friends over the years but I've yet to fix a SMC jack that failed. Bit I have fixed cables that use SMC jacks since the user kinked the cable right by the jack and it cracked the wire over time. The issue with the SMC jacks many over tighten or haven't figured out a good way to attach them (twist the cable in the opposite direction so that there is a bit of tension when the jack is installed and the tension will keep it securely on without having to tighten the nut much)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back