= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #20,146 of 21,175
Can't comment on the LCD-X since I haven't heard them. But I completely agree with your assessment of the T1s. I owned them, spent money on a balanced cable for them, and then sold them soon afterwards. Not enough bass, too sharp in the upper mids/treble. I found them almost painful to listen to.

For me, the 560s have a fairly unique sound sig. V-shaped, planar bass, very open soundstage. I find myself pulling them out as an alternative to my Auteur/Utopia faves -- more frequently than my HEKv2.

So the question is, are you trying to find another set of cans with similar characteristics, but just 'better'? Or are you looking for something a little (or a lot) different?

Similar characteristics just "better". As much as I loved the 560s sound I couldn't help but think that they wouldn't hold up too well over time due to HIFIMAN's reputation in terms of quality. When it comes to audio equipment I aim to upgrade over my previous set. I got the T1 gen 2's because I thought it was time to upgrade to a TOTL headphone from a company that I can trust to make a long lasting headphone, the reviews gave the impression that it was musical too. Just found the sound signature not to my liking like the 560s which are close to my ideal type of sound.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #20,147 of 21,175
Similar characteristics just "better". As much as I loved the 560s sound I couldn't help but think that they wouldn't hold up too well over time due to HIFIMAN's reputation in terms of quality. When it comes to audio equipment I aim to upgrade over my previous set. I got the T1 gen 2's because I thought it was time to upgrade to a TOTL headphone from a company that I can trust to make a long lasting headphone, the reviews gave the impression that it was musical too. Just found the sound signature not to my liking like the 560s which are close to my ideal type of sound.

The LCD-X isn't really that close-sounding to the 560. It's a better headphone, IMO, from a technical standpoint, offering better resolution and imaging most notably. Where the 560 is fast, clear, and slightly thin, the LCD-X is warmer, bassier, more natural sounding, and much better for mids and vocals. The 560 has more treble emphasis and extension, where the X has a lower treble dip. The 560 has better bass extension, but the X has better bass texture and presence.

I love both, but it's hard to think of one as a replacement for the other. I would only recommend looking at the X if you are unhappy with the FR of the 560 if one of the areas I mentioned. However, if you can manage to keep both, they complement each other very well.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #20,148 of 21,175
The LCD-X isn't really that close-sounding to the 560. It's a better headphone, IMO, from a technical standpoint, offering better resolution and imaging most notably. Where the 560 is fast, clear, and slightly thin, the LCD-X is warmer, bassier, more natural sounding, and much better for mids and vocals. The 560 has more treble emphasis and extension, where the X has a lower treble dip. The 560 has better bass extension, but the X has better bass texture and presence.

I love both, but it's hard to think of one as a replacement for the other. I would only recommend looking at the X if you are unhappy with the FR of the 560 if one of the areas I mentioned. However, if you can manage to keep both, they complement each other very well.
I've also got both and love the distinct sound of each. I've come to prefer the X, but in saying that, the 560's highs sound fantastic through a decent R2R dac to tame them. Sadly for me I've simply not been able work out a comfortable fit for the 560's (due entirely to my big ears), so I'm actually selling them. Despite the weight of the X's, I find them vastly more comfortable over longer periods, go figure.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #20,149 of 21,175
I've also got both and love the distinct sound of each. I've come to prefer the X, but in saying that, the 560's highs sound fantastic through a decent R2R dac to tame them. Sadly for me I've simply not been able work out a comfortable fit for the 560's (due entirely to my big ears), so I'm actually selling them. Despite the weight of the X's, I find them vastly more comfortable over longer periods, go figure.

Is it the pad depth or the size of the opening that bothers your ears? If it's one or the other, there are some pads that address the issue.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #20,150 of 21,175
Thanks for the comparisons to the X. Based on the impressions I think they would be too dark sounding for my liking.The longetivity was why I couldn't see myself keeping the 560's long term and from what I'm getting there really isn't much like it in terms of that particular sound presentation. I'll get rid of the T1s and might just go without headphones for a bit it seems, the money is better off in my pocket than being depreciated over time on a headphone that isnt to my liking.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #20,151 of 21,175
Thanks for the comparisons to the X. Based on the impressions I think they would be too dark sounding for my liking. I'll get rid of the T1s and might just go without headphones for a bit it seems, the money is better off ij my pocket than being deppreciated over time on a headphone that isnt to my liking.The longetivity was why I couldn't see myself keeping the 560's long term and from what I'm getting there really isn't an upgrade in terms of that particular sound presentation.

If it helps, I find the Audeze EL-8 Ti compares very well to the HE560. It needs bass boost desperately (but then I boost the 560 too) and still sounds less warm in the low-end than the 560, but the mids and treble sound smoother and just as detailed to me. You lose soundstage, but gain what it is likely the measurably best isolation. I've grown to prefer the EL-8 over the 560 for a lot of things. The EL-8 has been floating around at $300 occasionally, and I got mine for $225 new, so it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade/sidegrade.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #20,152 of 21,175
You might try a pair of EFOs. Closest sig to 560s in my inventory. Interesting that your motivation to purchase T1g2 was almost exactly the same as mine.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #20,154 of 21,175
Is it the pad depth or the size of the opening that bothers your ears? If it's one or the other, there are some pads that address the issue.
I've tried a few different pads, but couldn't find any combination that worked for me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #20,155 of 21,175
I've seen in previous pages of this thread and elsewhere anecdotal accounts of the new versions (v2 and v3) of the HE-560 having significantly less impact in the bass, but has anyone seen any actual measurements reflecting this? I'm just wondering to what degree the bass is attenuated vs the v1. I received the v3 recently and I'm actually quite happy with it ASIDE from the bass impact and I'm trying to decide whether or not to return it in favor of a different purchase; possibly an HE-560 v1 or maybe putting the $300 I spent towards a Sundara or LCD-2C. But if the bass impact of the Sundara isn't going to be significantly greater than the 560 v3, I don't think I would bother. I'm hoping someone with the proper equipment has gotten their hands on the v2/v3 and put out some measurements. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #20,156 of 21,175
I've seen in previous pages of this thread and elsewhere anecdotal accounts of the new versions (v2 and v3) of the HE-560 having significantly less impact in the bass, but has anyone seen any actual measurements reflecting this? I'm just wondering to what degree the bass is attenuated vs the v1. I received the v3 recently and I'm actually quite happy with it ASIDE from the bass impact and I'm trying to decide whether or not to return it in favor of a different purchase; possibly an HE-560 v1 or maybe putting the $300 I spent towards a Sundara or LCD-2C. But if the bass impact of the Sundara isn't going to be significantly greater than the 560 v3, I don't think I would bother. I'm hoping someone with the proper equipment has gotten their hands on the v2/v3 and put out some measurements. Thanks!
The whole version thing has gotten convoluted. I assume what you're calling V2 is the first version which had 2.5mm TRS connections. I didn't hear anyone complain about reduced bass with those -- certainly not something I'd say about my V2 set. I think the reduced bass was reported for the V3 sets. And some suggested that the pad compression which happened due to the shorter headband may have caused it. I can't express an opinion on that since I haven't heard a V3 set.

Anyway, GLTY

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #20,157 of 21,175
The whole version thing has gotten convoluted. I assume what you're calling V2 is the first version which had 2.5mm TRS connections. I didn't hear anyone complain about reduced bass with those -- certainly not something I'd say about my V2 set. I think the reduced bass was reported for the V3 sets. And some suggested that the pad compression which happened due to the shorter headband may have caused it. I can't express an opinion on that since I haven't heard a V3 set.

Anyway, GLTY

Thanks! I'm trying to use the version numbers as they are actually being used at retail. The "v2" I'm referring to is the model without the wood veneer that was sold at Adorama and the "v3" I'm referring to is the same model with the fixed headband and yoke.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #20,158 of 21,175
Thanks! I'm trying to use the version numbers as they are actually being used at retail. The "v2" I'm referring to is the model without the wood veneer that was sold at Adorama and the "v3" I'm referring to is the same model with the fixed headband and yoke.

Ah, then I was mistaken. I don't know how to distinguish between the SMC connected and 2.5 mm TRS connected sets with wood veneer -- v1 & v1a? In any case, what I have is the wood veneer model with the 2.5mm connectors.

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #20,159 of 21,175
For what it's worth, I was exchanging e-mails with Hifiman and happened to ask about any differences between the differents "v's" of the HE-560.
They said all versions are "sonically identical".
Naturally that is what anyone would say no matter what was actually true.

As I understand the whole "too short headband" malarkey was at least to some extent perpetuated by people who didn't know you could actually extend the arms, though.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #20,160 of 21,175
As I understand the whole "too short headband" malarkey was at least to some extent perpetuated by people who didn't know you could actually extend the arms, though.

Now that's some hogwash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back