= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 8, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #15,827 of 21,171
  I'm back and my 560s came in today!   So happy.
o2smile.gif

Agreed, stupid waste of money on boxes, anyway. Yes you will be very happy with the 560, certainly compared to the 990. I loved the 880s, but man the 990 was a really underwhelming sounding headphone when I heard it. It seemed quite muddy and without depth, but it was at a headphone meet so maybe I'm way off.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #15,828 of 21,171
Thanks.  I don't know if its placebo or not but I also noticed not just my DT990s open up more with more playtime but the WA7 as well.  I don't go looking for it or expect it but I was for the most part unimpressed by both in the beginning and then they opened up after a few days of listening.   So I guess I'm "one of those" as well.  Even if nothing changes I'm very happy with the sound quality so luckily I don't need to rely on any burn-in time.

On the 990s I have powered them straight from my phone, through a FiiO, straight from the computer and from the WA7 and the sound signature varied every time.  Everyone told me to go for a solid tube amp as Beyers play better with them so I bought the WA7.   Figured even if I didn't stay with the 990s most people seem to go with tube amps.   The WA7 tamed the 990s treble beast and made the highs not so ear piercing (well some songs still are).   They are definitely muddy compared to the 560s but not horrible.  Which to me is ok because I expected a jump in sound quality spending as much as I did on the 560s.   For the price range I think the 990s compete very well.   The headphone I was most disappointed with was PSB M4U-1s and they were highly recommended by a few sites (wirecutter named it they're #1 headphone).   Talk about muddy and no bass.   Everyone knocks Beats, though I haven't ever heard a Beats headphone I'm willing to guess they're better than the M4U1s.   I should have referenced this site before buying those, they were bad.

I do have a couple worries on 560s though.

• The outside metal grill on the right cup slides a bit, not sure if I should be worried on that
  • If I drag my feet on the carpet while listening or walk even a foot or two I get static crackle, the 990s never did this
  • Right now I'm in a dry climate but if I move to a humid climate do I need to worry about the wood trim?

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #15,830 of 21,171
@Ormia I would really appreciate it but I would feel bad just taking something like that for free especially after all the kindness you all have shown in this thread. This site has come under scrutiny from people over the years but I'm pleased to know that there are still some great Head-fiers out there.

ZekeAdebayo I originally looked at getting the smc connectors from Hifiman and I think they charge $10 for a pair. Instead of getting the connectors from Hifiman I found a source on Ebay and it cost me something like $10 dollars for 10 pieces, so it's like buying coffee for a fellow head-fi'er, Not a big deal at all! I don't think i'll be able to make 5 cables for my he560, so if you can put a pair to good use, I would be happy to share a pair with you.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #15,831 of 21,171

ZekeAdebayo I originally looked at getting the smc connectors from Hifiman and I think they charge $10 for a pair. Instead of getting the connectors from Hifiman I found a source on Ebay and it cost me something like $10 dollars for 10 pieces, so it's like buying coffee for a fellow head-fi'er, Not a big deal at all! I don't think i'll be able to make 5 cables for my he560, so if you can put a pair to good use, I would be happy to share a pair with you.

Do you mind sharing the link for the SMC connectors?  I have one more pair but always nice to have a few extras.  $10 for 10 is really cheap, best I could find was $4/each.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #15,832 of 21,171
  Do you mind sharing the link for the SMC connectors?  I have one more pair but always nice to have a few extras.  $10 for 10 is really cheap, best I could find was $4/each.

Sure. Here you go!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251262372944?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm so jealous because you live in Hawaii. I hope I'll get to say hi to you next time we make a family trip to Hawaii.

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #15,835 of 21,171
@Ormia, head-fi is full of really good people. There are a few caustic people, or outright aggressive posters from time to time, but they are indeed in the minority here. Hell, even I go in phases where I get cranky sometimes, but I actively try hard to avoid that. Glad head-fi is winning you over! This was always one of the best threads I found. Some of the old posters are not here @Wildcatsare1, but still seems like a great group keeping it active.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #15,837 of 21,171
  Anybody here find their 560 pairing well with a tube amp like a WA6 or Ember?

I dont know about those two tube amps, but I had mine paired with Schiit Lyr - and I did not like it- even with warmer amprex tubes.At higher volumes the HE-560 sounded bloated / out of control. This issue was remedied when I switched over to IFI micro idsd/audio gd NFB-amp1  

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #15,838 of 21,171
  Hi
Do you come with the HE-560 1/4" 6.3mm to Male 1/8" 3.5mm ?

Sorry 4 my bad ENG

No adapter with mine. I dont think HE-560 is meant for portable use. I know the HE-400i comes with an adapter / smaller tip since it can be used with portable devices

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #15,839 of 21,171
  I dont know about those two tube amps, but I had mine paired with Schiit Lyr - and I did not like it- even with warmer amprex tubes.At higher volumes the HE-560 sounded bloated / out of control. This issue was remedied when I switched over to IFI micro idsd/audio gd NFB-amp1  

Apparently the Lyr 2 was a better match. I just picked up an iDSD Micro yesterday. Love it, but despite my phone having USB OTG (LG G3 with Android 6), I can't get the phone to see the Micro. I bought a new OTG cable so perhaps it is the cable? Sucks.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #15,840 of 21,171
  Apparently the Lyr 2 was a better match. I just picked up an iDSD Micro yesterday. Love it, but despite my phone having USB OTG (LG G3 with Android 6), I can't get the phone to see the Micro. I bought a new OTG cable so perhaps it is the cable? Sucks.

what's the sound profile on iDSD micro? Warmish? It looks tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back