= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 8, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #15,812 of 21,173
  Quick question for the group... how much power can the HE560 handle? How much is too much?

I have a Schiit Lyr that I normally listen to at around 10 o'clock. Maybe 11 if I really want to push it for a short time. Above that it's way too loud for me, but I wonder if it was accidentally cranked up, is there any risk of damage to the headphones? 

For some reason whenever I offer my coworkers to try out my rig, they always want to turn it up excessively loud! 

Your Lyr puts out more than enough power to damage your headphones so I would really stress to those that you let try not to push it, tell them "if you break it you bought it" hopefully it will keep them from cranking up the volume too much.  Also might want to say that even short term really loud music is damaging to their ears.

Another way to prevent this is lower the output from your system so that even if someone turns up the volume on the Lyr to full it is only just a little louder than your normal listening volume.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #15,813 of 21,173

Did you notice any sound quality degradation with the adapters?

Not at all. Resistance change is negligible as well. When I change between my cable without adapter and the one with - it's exactly the same volume and sound quality.

Cheers

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #15,815 of 21,173
Quick question for the group... how much power can the HE560 handle? How much is too much?

I have a Schiit Lyr that I normally listen to at around 10 o'clock. Maybe 11 if I really want to push it for a short time. Above that it's way too loud for me, but I wonder if it was accidentally cranked up, is there any risk of damage to the headphones? 

For some reason whenever I offer my coworkers to try out my rig, they always want to turn it up excessively loud! 
I usually give a little advice to friends who listen to my phones. They always want to do the same thing.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #15,817 of 21,173
Those screw-cap connectors should stay put once in.  I use a stand with dust hood.  Never touched the connectors since I bought it 1 yr ago.  :beerchug:

Mine come undone on the right side w/o them being touched . Don't know why., just does. The crackle can start while the connection is tight.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #15,818 of 21,173
I once turned up mine max on H10 gain 6 to see how it sounds without putting it on my head. No problem at all.

Dang that's a lot of power! - but who doesn't love headroom :wink: - that's the reason why I don't get rid of my Parasound 3500 stereo speaker amp! - 350W x2 @ 8ohms. I have wondered many times how an HE-6 would sound with that much Powa!

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #15,819 of 21,173
Mine come undone on the right side w/o them being touched . Don't know why., just does. The crackle can start while the connection is tight.

I usually counter twist the cable and if its still not tight then hold the nut and counter twist the cable again so that there is some tension that will keep it from becoming loose,

If you have the crackle with the connectors tight then you might either have hair/dust touching the drivers or possibly a damaged driver.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #15,820 of 21,173

Great pairing!!! Surprisingly, the WA8 drives the HE-560 very well.

Cheers!

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #15,821 of 21,173
Hello!

Well, I just joined the HE-560 club.  

Started my head-fi journey in Grado land, eventually landing with the RS-1i.  After some serious ear damage from the very, very sharp boost those phones have in the upper mids, that still hasn't totally healed, I went to something much 'softer', or perhaps accurate is the better word.  The Sennheiser HD650.  I love the HD650, but always felt the upper bass-lower mids are too muddy.  The so called 'veil' wasn't a problem... it was that darn muddiness down low.  I couldn't shake this, even with top notch amplification.  

Enter Hifiman.  I tried the HE400S on a whim.  WOW.  HD650 killer.  Seriously.  So now I am hooked.  I understand I am in for a bit different sound signature, but I am looking forward to something new! (Again)   Phones land hopefully early next week...

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #15,822 of 21,173
@MLGrado welcome to the thread.  I went the other way, started with HE-400 then when to Grado land, SR-225e (did some mods), RS2e (new cable and dynamat in the cups), woody SR-60i (mods to cups) and 3 SennGrado's.  Still have my HD-650 and a few others, if you still have your HD-650, some in the HD-650 thread have done mods to clean up the bass with dynamat, I haven't tried yet since I don't think the bass is that bad.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #15,823 of 21,173
Hello!

Started my head-fi journey in Grado land, eventually landing with the RS-1i.  After some serious ear damage from the very, very sharp boost those phones have in the upper mids, that still hasn't totally healed, I went to something much 'softer', or perhaps accurate is the better word.  The Sennheiser HD650.  I love the HD650, but always felt the upper bass-lower mids are too muddy.  The so called 'veil' wasn't a problem... it was that darn muddiness down low.  I couldn't shake this, even with top notch amplification.  

Enter Hifiman.  I tried the HE400S on a whim.  WOW.  HD650 killer.  Seriously.  So now I am hooked.  I understand I am in for a bit different sound signature, but I am looking forward to something new! (Again)   Phones land hopefully early next week...
If you have the right components in place this is as far as you'll have to go. These phones are that good. But only if your system is up to the task. Not really far behind the he-6 imo. And you don't need a ridiculous amp to drive them.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #15,824 of 21,173
  Hello!

Make sure to get the right matching with DAC&amp because it makes a real difference ranging from selling them off to pure bliss. I think the stock focus pads are too energetic especially in the upper-mid range for neutral/bright amps. Tolerance is different for everyone, so you should try first :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #15,825 of 21,173
I'm back and my 560s came in today!   So happy.
o2smile.gif

The box is really pretentious, I mean seriously I don't want an actual box collecting dust in my closet.  More weight too so now I gotta be careful where I store it, oh well.

First thing that came to me when listening to it is that I love the clarity and separation of instruments as compared to my DT990s.  Voices also seem more distinctive especially on songs with duets.   It is much easier to pick out both singers as they sing together.   Some songs the highs are a bit much like the DT990s so just like with them I dial down the volume and its tolerable.   But unlike the DT990s I actually can like cymbals now.   Well, actual cymbals not synthesized sound made to sound like cymbals.  If its the latter than I have to turn down the volume.   I was worried the 560s would have no ability to generate sub-bass since no one wanted to take ownership and say yes or no.   I was also worried about the bass in general as it didn't seem like it was a strength people pointed out.   I do have to pump up the volume knob to almost half-way on the WA7 to get it to appear but the sub-bass is there.   It's not fantastic and as people said, it's not a basshead can but its good.  I also agree with those that said the bass is well defined.   Though I'm playing a song right now that has good sub-bass and I have the volume lower than before and the sub-bass is coming in so maybe its warming up.   Either way its good enough given the other advantages.

Overall it is the different sound signature I was looking for.   While it appears most in this thread do not use them for electronica or rock/metal it is doing great with both so far.  Sounds like the electric guitar is a little too up front, definitely more so than the bass guitar.   Pianos on the other hand sound gorgeous on the 560s.   I won't say they were unnoticed on the DT990s but they were definitely underappreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back