= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 8, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #15,796 of 21,173
  Thanks a lot everyone. I will definitely send him a pm. 

@Ormia: Tell me about it. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Hifiman for giving me such a figure. As for the connection, the connectors on my 560s are in fine shape, it was just the gold screw on the left side of my screw on cable that broke. I was in the process of looking for a way to change the connectors since I wasn't a big fan of the screw-ons anyways. In response, a fellow Head-fier brought it to my attention that Hifiman can modify the connection from a screw on to a simple 2.5mm snap on. I personally believe that if my connection had been like the latter in the first place the cable itself wouldn't have broken in the manner that it did, and it's frankly a bit easier to put on and take out.  

I think one of the reasons for the twist on SMC connector is that it provides a fairly secure connection, the 2.5mm TRS plug is not as secure.  If they were implemented the same as on the HD-700 it would be much better.   I'm one of the few that like the SMC connector better due to it being secure, its saved my HE-560 twice so far, the dog was running away from my GF and she bumped the table that the HE-560's were sitting on and I was able to grab the cables so they didn't hit the marble floor.  Another reason I like them is they are also small enough to use with Grado's, TH-XXX series, and even did a friends MDR-7506 for dual entry removable.

Quote:
Has anyone tried to put in mini xlr like the audeze/zmf on the he560? That would be ideal for me.all headphones with the same cables

I don't think you would want to do this, the mini-xlr connectors are quite a bit larger.  If direct connected to driver with dongles as @Soundsgoodtome mentioned it would be a much simpler mod but not look as nice IMO.  I've installed the mini-xlr plugs in my DT-990 premium and T1, also did a friends T1.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #15,799 of 21,173
Mine has intermittently cut in and out or crackled in the right ear. So I need to address that. As it never leaves the house and I can't see what it looks like when I'm wearing it, I don't really care what it looks like.. Just thinking it would be nice if all my hps could use the same cable.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #15,800 of 21,173
Mine has intermittently cut in and out or crackled in the right ear. So I need to address that. As it never leaves the house and I can't see what it looks like when I'm wearing it, I don't really care what it looks like.. Just thinking it would be nice if all my hps could use the same cable.

That is also a dream of mine but the reality is that manufactures like using their own connectors so that they can get higher prices for their special cables.  This is also one of the reasons I learned to build my own cables, it makes it easy to get the length you want, do simple repairs and gives you some insight in to the reasons for engineering decisions that make no sense at first but after working with the design you come to have a better understanding for choices made.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #15,801 of 21,173
Guys.

Get good adapters. I mean: I am all for a standards - so the below silly effort wouldn't be needed - but like always - yo will never get people to agree on a standard on their free will. IT usually requires some sort of regulations. Look at the EU - the appealed to the mobile phone industry to agree on one standard for charging mobile phones as even within one manufacturer there were plenty of different charging plugs and sockets Nokia - looking at you!) - eventually the EU had enough and mandated the use of micro USB and it worked, even Apple complied and packed a small lighting to micro USB adapter in the box. 

I bought a used LCD-2F and with it I got a nice Q-Audio French Silk Cable and a Norne Audio Draug cable. Then I got a great balanced cable for my 560 from bestintheverse - lovely cable (the color combo is my fault, went a bit overboard, LOL) anyhow, Hifiman had to be replaced under warranty and I got the new connector version back - duh, what to do, my expensive balanced cable was not fitting, re-terminating is possible but the sending back and forth around the world plus possible customs etc. I thought, aaaa, let's make some nice adapters.

I already had some made by Eddie (Q-Audio) and contacted Brian, who runs that shop now (from BTG-Audio) and voila - look at them, nice adapters. The silver ones are from Q-Audio before Brian took over. I think Brians ultra short ones are really nice.

Anyhow, I can now use my bestintheverse and plussoundaudio cable with HE-400, HE-560 (new version) and Oppo PM-2. I can use my cables from my LCD-2 (Norne, Q-Audio, Plussoundaudio) with HD-650 and HE-400 (or double converted) with 560 and PM-2. I also realized that my cable I had made for the PM-2 works perfectly on the HE-560. So - rather get one really good cable and get adapters (good ones) and you are in a easier place.

Adapters:

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #15,802 of 21,173
Like David said. Peterek is the guy to contact. If anyone can make something, he's the guy. He's done work for me, his prices are reasonable, work is top notch, & he's a great guy.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #15,803 of 21,173
The secure connection is a very valid point though. However, wouldn't the connector on the headphone ware out quite a bit from screwing in and screwing out so much? I always place my 560's in the box after every use to keep them in tip top shape but know people who also leave them out on a stand and only have to screw in that one time. What I found to happen was that the cable on the left side would require 2 full screws while the right side would require screwing it four times (think something was loose on that side of the cable). To keep the wires from having a tight twisted up shape I would turn each the same number of times in the opposite direction before putting them on my headphones so when screwed on the cables run straight without curls in them. It's sort of like how Zeos from Z reviews does it.

@Ormia I would really appreciate it but I would feel bad just taking something like that for free especially after all the kindness you all have shown in this thread. This site has come under scrutiny from people over the years but I'm pleased to know that there are still some great Head-fiers out there.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #15,804 of 21,173
Those screw-cap connectors should stay put once in.  I use a stand with dust hood.  Never touched the connectors since I bought it 1 yr ago. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #15,805 of 21,173
  Guys.

Get good adapters. I mean: I am all for a standards - so the below silly effort wouldn't be needed - but like always - yo will never get people to agree on a standard on their free will. IT usually requires some sort of regulations. Look at the EU - the appealed to the mobile phone industry to agree on one standard for charging mobile phones as even within one manufacturer there were plenty of different charging plugs and sockets Nokia - looking at you!) - eventually the EU had enough and mandated the use of micro USB and it worked, even Apple complied and packed a small lighting to micro USB adapter in the box. 

I bought a used LCD-2F and with it I got a nice Q-Audio French Silk Cable and a Norne Audio Draug cable. Then I got a great balanced cable for my 560 from bestintheverse - lovely cable (the color combo is my fault, went a bit overboard, LOL) anyhow, Hifiman had to be replaced under warranty and I got the new connector version back - duh, what to do, my expensive balanced cable was not fitting, re-terminating is possible but the sending back and forth around the world plus possible customs etc. I thought, aaaa, let's make some nice adapters.

I already had some made by Eddie (Q-Audio) and contacted Brian, who runs that shop now (from BTG-Audio) and voila - look at them, nice adapters. The silver ones are from Q-Audio before Brian took over. I think Brians ultra short ones are really nice.

Anyhow, I can now use my bestintheverse and plussoundaudio cable with HE-400, HE-560 (new version) and Oppo PM-2. I can use my cables from my LCD-2 (Norne, Q-Audio, Plussoundaudio) with HD-650 and HE-400 (or double converted) with 560 and PM-2. I also realized that my cable I had made for the PM-2 works perfectly on the HE-560. So - rather get one really good cable and get adapters (good ones) and you are in a easier place.

Adapters:

Did you notice any sound quality degradation with the adapters?

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #15,807 of 21,173
The secure connection is a very valid point though. However, wouldn't the connector on the headphone ware out quite a bit from screwing in and screwing out so much? I always place my 560's in the box after every use to keep them in tip top shape but know people who also leave them out on a stand and only have to screw in that one time. What I found to happen was that the cable on the left side would require 2 full screws while the right side would require screwing it four times (think something was loose on that side of the cable). To keep the wires from having a tight twisted up shape I would turn each the same number of times in the opposite direction before putting them on my headphones so when screwed on the cables run straight without curls in them. It's sort of like how Zeos from Z reviews does it.

@Ormia I would really appreciate it but I would feel bad just taking something like that for free especially after all the kindness you all have shown in this thread. This site has come under scrutiny from people over the years but I'm pleased to know that there are still some great Head-fiers out there.

I've never put my headphones back in the box, they are all left out, either on stands or hanging from media racks, light stands and just laying on the table or desk.  If you go to my profile I have a few pictures showing them on the media rack.

Did you notice any sound quality degradation with the adapters?

I agree that using connectors is not a great idea as each time you change materials and where the connectors make contact there is added resistance, does it degrade the sound?  Maybe, maybe not for headphone cables but for speaker wires there was a slight degradation, highs seem to lose some sparkle.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #15,808 of 21,173
I'm one who has always left my phones out as well. I try not to remove the Calbles to often if I don't have to. Unless I'm switching them to run balanced. Never had issues. Funny though as the 560 is cable less in this image.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #15,809 of 21,173
Quick question for the group... how much power can the HE560 handle? How much is too much?

I have a Schiit Lyr that I normally listen to at around 10 o'clock. Maybe 11 if I really want to push it for a short time. Above that it's way too loud for me, but I wonder if it was accidentally cranked up, is there any risk of damage to the headphones? 

For some reason whenever I offer my coworkers to try out my rig, they always want to turn it up excessively loud! 

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #15,810 of 21,173
  Quick question for the group... how much power can the HE560 handle? How much is too much?

I have a Schiit Lyr that I normally listen to at around 10 o'clock. Maybe 11 if I really want to push it for a short time. Above that it's way too loud for me, but I wonder if it was accidentally cranked up, is there any risk of damage to the headphones? 

For some reason whenever I offer my coworkers to try out my rig, they always want to turn it up excessively loud! 

Best to ask Hi Fi Man.
Common sense rules. If it's too loud for you to take it, don't let anyone crank it up beyond what you can take. Drivers can be damaged if pushed beyond their mechanical limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back